Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105287 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
Laughterwards
A TV show, Film or situation that was not really funny or marginally funny that for whatever reason is much funnier aftwrwards.
You have to watch Portlandia, but it's a laughterwards, so just give it a chance to kick in.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8929 - 18 May 06 05:02 Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Magpie Offline
Member**

Registered: 29 Mar 06
Posts: 1306
Loc: The Toon
Christian groups in many Asian nations have stepped up their protests against The Da Vinci Code film ahead of its planned global release this week.
Its release in India is likely to be delayed after a furore that has seen Islamic clerics in Mumbai (Bombay) back a call by Catholics for a boycott.
South Korea's Christian Council has unsuccessfully tried to ban the film.
And Thai censors want to cut the last 10 minutes, having been persuaded by critics that they are "blasphemous".
The film is adapted from Dan Brown's best-seller, which revolves around the theory that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and their descendants survive today.
The blockbuster has caused outrage among many Christian organisations, including senior officials at the Vatican.
In India, which is home to 18 million Catholics, the head of the Catholic Secular Forum has begun a "hunger strike until death".

Joseph Dias said he wanted others to join him and pledged to continue until the film was banned.
His organisation has described The Da Vinci Code as "offensive" because it breaches "certain basic foundations of the religion".
The Indian government has temporarily halted the film's release, saying it must address concerns before the movie is screened.
The country's information and broadcasting minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunshi said he had received more than 200 complaints.
He has requested a special screening, which may delay the original release date "by a day or two", he said. The film is due to come out around the world on Friday.
"We are a secular country," he said. "On any sensitive issue, we should take action after we examine every aspect. We have to be careful."
Injunction rejected
Meanwhile, a court in South Korea has ruled that a request for an injunction to block screenings was without merit.

Chief judge Song Jin-hyun said: "As it is clear that the novel and movie are all fiction, there is no probability that the movie can make viewers mistakenly believe the contents of the movie are facts."
The censor board in Buddhist Thailand said it wanted to cut 10 minutes from the end of The Da Vinci Code following Christian protests.
It also wants to run a disclaimer before each screening to make clear that the story is fiction.
The final decision rests with a government appeals panel, which will consider the case on Wednesday.
In the UK, leading Catholics also demanded a "health warning" after a survey of 1,000 people suggested that reading the original book could undermine a belief in Christian traditions.
The research claimed those who had read Brown's novel were twice as likely to believe its central theme - of Jesus being a father - than those who had not.

"For many it is fiction," said Dr Austen Ivereigh, co-ordinator of the DVC Response Group, which comprises priests, monks, theologians and members of Opus Dei.
"But an alarming number of people take its spurious claims very seriously indeed."
Many of the highest-profile celebrities associated with the film attended a photo call in London on Tuesday as a train named The Da Vinci Code set off from London to Cannes.
Among those present were director Ron Howard, actor Tom Hanks and the book's author Dan Brown.
It is hoped the train will set a new record for the longest ever non-stop international rail journey, travelling 888 miles (1421 km) between the British capital and the south of France.
The film receives its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival on Wednesday.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4987116.stm
_________________________
"People say funny things......."

Peter Kay

Top
Promotion
Firefox 2: Rediscover the Web
#8930 - 18 May 06 07:07 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Magpie Offline
Member**

Registered: 29 Mar 06
Posts: 1306
Loc: The Toon
Imagine what would have happened if they had made a film from the Book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail"! Now that would definetly be considered as blasphemous! Any one interested in other theories about the family line of Jesus and Mary should read it, but christians beware, this book is likley to stir up a lot of anger in you!
_________________________
"People say funny things......."

Peter Kay

Top
#8931 - 18 May 06 07:12 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Registered: 13 Feb 06
Posts: 2177
Loc: My
I wanna see the movie, but I heard Indo will ban it too frown
_________________________
I wanna be Samantha, but I am so Carrie

Top
#8932 - 18 May 06 07:43 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Registered: 19 Feb 06
Posts: 2226
Loc: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
I wanna see the movie, but I heard Indo will ban it too frown
Don't worry, they should have the pirated version as always smile
_________________________
"The human heart feel things the eyes cannot see, and knows what the mind cannot understand"

Top
#8933 - 18 May 06 07:56 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Magpie Offline
Member**

Registered: 29 Mar 06
Posts: 1306
Loc: The Toon
I wouldn't bother Lulu, i think it will be just another boring, over the top Ron Howard movie. I hate his movies, except for "A Beautiful Mind" If you really want to learn something, try and get a copy of the Book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". It's a non-fiction research book written by three very intelligent men. It will open your eyes, actually come to think of it, Rp5000 is bugger all for the movie, but if you do watch it, tell me what it is like, If you think it worth seeing, I might just watch it. I just can't stand Ron Howard. Guy Ritchie, Quentin Tarintino, Martin Scorcese....My type of Film directors
_________________________
"People say funny things......."

Peter Kay

Top
#8934 - 18 May 06 08:20 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Registered: 19 Feb 06
Posts: 2226
Loc: Indonesia
LOL! I never watch Guy Ritchie movies.
Anyway, usually movies adapted from books are such dissapointments! There is no single book adapted movie that can catch the essence of the books. Only one though, that I think, it's much better than others, "Lord of the Ring", hehehe, it's indeed deserved the "best adapted movie" oscar award! I always prefer books than movies, but I like good movies, and my type of movies is varies. Shawshank and redemption is one of my favorite...along with the fifth elements...LOL!
_________________________
"The human heart feel things the eyes cannot see, and knows what the mind cannot understand"

Top
#8935 - 18 May 06 08:24 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Registered: 26 Feb 06
Posts: 8044
Loc: Nearest Bar
The Time Bandits! Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Stigmata, Freddy Got Fingered! From Dusk till Dawn, Sort of says where my sense of enjoyment comes from
_________________________
Menace to Sobriety


Top
#8936 - 18 May 06 08:28 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Registered: 09 Oct 05
Posts: 10790
Loc: Centre of the Universe
yeah, but who can top Debbie does Dallas?
_________________________
KuKuKaChu: dangerously too sophisticated

Top
#8937 - 18 May 06 08:28 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Magpie Offline
Member**

Registered: 29 Mar 06
Posts: 1306
Loc: The Toon
Quote:
Originally posted by laluna:
LOL! I never watch Guy Ritchie movies.
Anyway, usually movies adapted from books are such dissapointments! There is no single book adapted movie that can catch the essence of the books. Only one though, that I think, it's much better than others, "Lord of the Ring", hehehe, it's indeed deserved the "best adapted movie" oscar award! I always prefer books than movies, but I like good movies, and my type of movies is varies. Shawshank and redemption is one of my favorite...along with the fifth elements...LOL!
The only movie that I can think of that captures everything in the book was "High Fidelity". Lord of the Rings I love, but so much of it was missing, and they changed heaps for the movie, including the end... Aragorn does not marry the elf in the book, he marries a princess to bring the tribes of man together as one. Something like that anyway.
_________________________
"People say funny things......."

Peter Kay

Top
#8938 - 18 May 06 08:29 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Magpie Offline
Member**

Registered: 29 Mar 06
Posts: 1306
Loc: The Toon
Quote:
Originally posted by KuKuKaChu:
yeah, but who can top Debbie does Dallas?
Have you ever seen that film? I was always under the impression it was actaully just an urban myth!
_________________________
"People say funny things......."

Peter Kay

Top
#8939 - 18 May 06 08:40 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Registered: 19 Feb 06
Posts: 2226
Loc: Indonesia
A polar bear does Jakarta ayams.

Dilli does sheeps.

Magpie does Bandung.

Kukukachu does Jl. Jaksa.

smile )
_________________________
"The human heart feel things the eyes cannot see, and knows what the mind cannot understand"

Top
#8940 - 18 May 06 08:43 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Registered: 23 Nov 05
Posts: 6177
Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie:
Quote:
Originally posted by KuKuKaChu:
yeah, but who can top Debbie does Dallas?
Have you ever seen that film? I was always under the impression it was actaully just an urban myth!
I have it on DVD. If you PM me I will mail it to you.

Top
#8941 - 18 May 06 08:49 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Registered: 23 Nov 05
Posts: 6177
I saw Inside Man the other night. BRILLIANT, with a lot of cameo roles. Well worth seeing.

Also recently seen “The worlds Fastest Indian” – Excellent movie, and Ice Age 2, - funny, but not as good as the first.

Favourite movies:

Apocalypse Now. (best war movie of all time)
Dr Strangelove, or how I learned to love the bomb
Pulp Fiction.
Sin City
Blade Runner.
Pi (deep and dark mathematical film in B&W)
Zulu

Top
#8942 - 18 May 06 09:06 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Magpie Offline
Member**

Registered: 29 Mar 06
Posts: 1306
Loc: The Toon
Favorite movies

1. The Godfather (I & II together) - Rather predicatble I know, but it's just such a fantastic movie.
2. The Usual Suspects
3.Seven
4. Snatch
5. Schindler's List
_________________________
"People say funny things......."

Peter Kay

Top
#8943 - 18 May 06 09:21 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Registered: 13 Feb 06
Posts: 2177
Loc: My
I love Shrek smile
_________________________
I wanna be Samantha, but I am so Carrie

Top
#8944 - 18 May 06 09:24 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Magpie Offline
Member**

Registered: 29 Mar 06
Posts: 1306
Loc: The Toon
Quote:
Originally posted by Sausage Master Polar Bear:
I saw Inside Man the other night. BRILLIANT, with a lot of cameo roles. Well worth seeing.

Also recently seen “The worlds Fastest Indian” – Excellent movie, and Ice Age 2, - funny, but not as good as the first.

Favourite movies:

Apocalypse Now. (best war movie of all time)
Dr Strangelove, or how I learned to love the bomb
Pulp Fiction.
Sin City
Blade Runner.
Pi (deep and dark mathematical film in B&W)
Zulu
Pulp Fiction, Sin City and Bladerunner would all be in my top 10, maybe top 15 list.
_________________________
"People say funny things......."

Peter Kay

Top
#8945 - 18 May 06 09:31 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Registered: 23 Nov 05
Posts: 6177
I love Seven, one of my all time favourites. Snatch is also excellent (also Lock Stock and Smoking Barrels).

Shindlers List I have a problem with, because I think it was produced by a Jew and pushes the Jewish case. I don’t want to get into an argument, or push my own beliefs, suffice to say that some of what is claimed by the Jews about WW2 simply doesn’t stack up, and FAR more horrific events have occurred in our lifetime but because Hollywood isn’t run by that particular ethnic group no movie is made about it. I will concede it is an excellent movie, I just don’t agree with the subject (although I am not a holocaust denier by any means).

Shreck – LOVED it, One and Two. Have both on video and I watch them at least once a month.

Top
#8946 - 18 May 06 09:49 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Magpie Offline
Member**

Registered: 29 Mar 06
Posts: 1306
Loc: The Toon
Quote:
Originally posted by Sausage Master Polar Bear:
I love Seven, one of my all time favourites. Snatch is also excellent (also Lock Stock and Smoking Barrels).

Shindlers List I have a problem with, because I think it was produced by a Jew and pushes the Jewish case. I don’t want to get into an argument, or push my own beliefs, suffice to say that some of what is claimed by the Jews about WW2 simply doesn’t stack up, and FAR more horrific events have occurred in our lifetime but because Hollywood isn’t run by that particular ethnic group no movie is made about it. I will concede it is an excellent movie, I just don’t agree with the subject (although I am not a holocaust denier by any means).

Shreck – LOVED it, One and Two. Have both on video and I watch them at least once a month.
Schidnler's List - The first and only movie that has ever made me cry, and boy did I, sad silent tears. shocked
_________________________
"People say funny things......."

Peter Kay

Top
#8947 - 18 May 06 09:53 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Registered: 23 Nov 05
Posts: 6177
I HATE the Da Vinici book. I think it is dreadfully written. The content however is much more interesting. A batter read is Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, which I read when it came out in the early 1980s.

There is an interesting tie up to the Movie “Pi”, Kabbalah, and the Russian Chernovsky Brothers:

Kabala believes that the true name of God is contained within the mathematical formula Pi.

The Chenovsky Brothers build a super computer something like 40 Teraflops, which is incredible, especially since it was built out of mail order mother boards etc.

http://witcombe.sbc.edu/earthmysteries/EMPi.html

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi681.htm

http://www.barryland.com/pi.html

They found some strange unexplainable patterns in Pi.

Move on to “Library Of Babel” theory of infinity:

http://www.analitica.com/bitblioteca/jjborges/library_babel.asp

If we substitute the binary code generate to infinity by Pi, with Hex code, we have character infinity. Therefore everything ever written, or to be written, must exist in Pi. The Koran. The life story of Ruby. The description of LuLus best lover. Everything is contained within infinity.

The Movie Pi covers a little of both areas. It covers the search for the secret of the stock market, using an algorithm to decrypt Pi. In the story Kabbalah find out, and try to stop the process in case the name of God appears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_movie

Top
#8948 - 18 May 06 10:01 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Magpie Offline
Member**

Registered: 29 Mar 06
Posts: 1306
Loc: The Toon
Quote:
Originally posted by Sausage Master Polar Bear:
I HATE the Da Vinici book. I think it is dreadfully written. The content however is much more interesting. A batter read is Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, which I read when it came out in the early 1980s.

There is an interesting tie up to the Movie “Pi”, Kabbalah, and the Russian Chernovsky Brothers:

Kabala believes that the true name of God is contained within the mathematical formula Pi.

The Chenovsky Brothers build a super computer something like 40 Teraflops, which is incredible, especially since it was built out of mail order mother boards etc.

http://witcombe.sbc.edu/earthmysteries/EMPi.html

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi681.htm

http://www.barryland.com/pi.html

They found some strange unexplainable patterns in Pi.

Move on to “Library Of Babel” theory of infinity:

http://www.analitica.com/bitblioteca/jjborges/library_babel.asp

If we substitute the binary code generate to infinity by Pi, with Hex code, we have character infinity. Therefore everything ever written, or to be written, must exist in Pi. The Koran. The life story of Ruby. The description of LuLus best lover. Everything is contained within infinity.

The Movie Pi covers a little of both areas. It covers the search for the secret of the stock market, using an algorithm to decrypt Pi. In the story Kabbalah find out, and try to stop the process in case the name of God appears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_movie
Hey PB, have you re-read "HB, HG" recently. They re-released it and updated, but I only read it 2 years ago, so not sure of the differences between the two realeases.

I loved the fact that they went into great detail to speculate as to whether Jesus was actually ever on the cross. I use it often when the Christian doorknockers harass me (We have heaps of blindly led Christians in the country.... check this out http://www.destinychurch.org.nz/
_________________________
"People say funny things......."

Peter Kay

Top
#8949 - 18 May 06 10:05 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Registered: 23 Nov 05
Posts: 6177
Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie:
Quote:
Originally posted by Sausage Master Polar Bear:
I love Seven, one of my all time favourites. Snatch is also excellent (also Lock Stock and Smoking Barrels).

Shindlers List I have a problem with, because I think it was produced by a Jew and pushes the Jewish case. I don’t want to get into an argument, or push my own beliefs, suffice to say that some of what is claimed by the Jews about WW2 simply doesn’t stack up, and FAR more horrific events have occurred in our lifetime but because Hollywood isn’t run by that particular ethnic group no movie is made about it. I will concede it is an excellent movie, I just don’t agree with the subject (although I am not a holocaust denier by any means).

Shreck – LOVED it, One and Two. Have both on video and I watch them at least once a month.
Schidnler's List - The first and only movie that has ever made me cry, and boy did I, sad silent tears. shocked
It was indeed a very moving film. It was intended to be.

If Hollywood were run by Arabs instead of Jews, you would be crying about displaced Palestinians.

If Hollywood were run by Chinese, you would be crying about the massacre of Nanking.

If Hollywood were run by Aboriginals, you would be shedding tears for them.

80 million died in WW2, including several members of my family. Originally the Jewish community claimed that 6 million Jews died. The figure has been revised down successively. Current estimates are about 1.5 Million. Jewish academics now concede that Jews were never made into soap, that no gas chambers existed at Belsen, and that the gas chambers at Dachau didn’t work.

It suited the Jews in 1947 to have sympathy. They were busy stealing a country. So the true story about the holocaust was blown out of all proportion.

If you want to shed tears about WW2 do it for the other 78.5 million who died, including SIXTY MILLION Russians!!!!!!!

(Any my Uncle Alf, who died in agony at Dunkirk. He didn’t want the war, and he didn’t start it, but he paid for it.)

Top
#8950 - 18 May 06 10:34 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Magpie Offline
Member**

Registered: 29 Mar 06
Posts: 1306
Loc: The Toon
Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie:
Goodness, I only said it made me cry! I was never questioning how many people died in WW2. And I lost a family member in WW1, WW2, The Falklands and the Gulf. I am the first male in my family NOT to join the army. Explains two things about me....
1. I dont like war movies, and as a general rule, horror movies
2. I am a pacifist (or would like to be ideally)
I hate war, death and war mongerers and I am allowed to cry! Respect me for being honest enough to let you know!!
_________________________
"People say funny things......."

Peter Kay

Top
#8951 - 18 May 06 10:43 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Registered: 19 Feb 06
Posts: 2226
Loc: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Sausage Master Polar Bear:
[QUOTE]
If Hollywood were run by Arabs instead of Jews, you would be crying about displaced Palestinians.

If Hollywood were run by Chinese, you would be crying about the massacre of Nanking.

If Hollywood were run by Aboriginals, you would be shedding tears for them.
For this, I'm very agree with you PB. I think it does apply to books also.
_________________________
"The human heart feel things the eyes cannot see, and knows what the mind cannot understand"

Top
#8952 - 18 May 06 10:48 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Registered: 19 Feb 06
Posts: 2226
Loc: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie:
Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie:
Goodness, I only said it made me cry! I was never questioning how many people died in WW2. And I lost a family member in WW1, WW2, The Falklands and the Gulf. I am the first male in my family NOT to join the army. Explains two things about me....
1. I dont like war movies, and as a general rule, horror movies
2. I am a pacifist (or would like to be ideally)
I hate war, death and war mongerers and I am allowed to cry! Respect me for being honest enough to let you know!!
Sudah...sudah...PB is PB, you know that!? smile
_________________________
"The human heart feel things the eyes cannot see, and knows what the mind cannot understand"

Top
#8953 - 18 May 06 11:04 Re: Da Vinci film protests stepped up
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Registered: 07 Nov 05
Posts: 2552
Loc: Central Jakarta
what happening with PB?
_________________________
"I am the Island girl, born with the humble life, eat on the floor with the right hand"

Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >


Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website