Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105285 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
trumparoma
The smell that occurs when a swamp is drained and replaced with raw sewage and other kinds of stinking waste.
There's been a hell of a trumparoma around here since they drained that swamp and filled it with sewage.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8165 - 03 May 06 12:22 Cos the rest of the world doesn't use oil....
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
This story was at a NZ website. I posted because I thought it might create some discussion. for instance...

Are Americans the only people in the world suffering from the petrol prices...?

How does the American theory of reducing foreign oil supplies that they use, fit into the fact that they seem to be invading the very oil suppliers for their own ill-gotten gains?

Who drills and retains the oil in the North Sea (I am not being a smart arse here, I really dont know, maybe Dili can answer this, I was always under the impression it was the U.K., since it was the poor bloody English that died on the bloody things years ago)

For your viewing pleasure

US Energy Secretary Sam Bodman said that high gasoline prices which have skyrocketed to a near record are a "crisis" for Americans.

"It is a crisis in the sense of the individual," Bodman told reporters after a meeting with Saudi Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi. "American families are hurting."

With gasoline prices above US$3 a gallon in many US cities, pump prices have been the main topic of discussion on both sides of Congress as lawmakers fretted that voters will vent their rage at high pump prices in the upcoming November elections.

The record price for gasoline is US$3.07 a gallon that was hit after Hurricane Katrina disrupted fuel supplies last September. Nationwide, gasoline pump prices averaged US$2.92 a gallon last week, according to government figures.

US President George W Bush last week ordered a probe into potential price profiteering and suspended putting oil into the US emergency stockpile.

Senate Republicans have proposed giving US taxpayers a US$100 check to offset high gasoline prices, and suspending some federal taxes.

Naimi, also speaking with reporters, added that the US plan to reduce dependence on foreign oil supplies through renewable energy sources was "a good thing for the world" as some oil fields, including the North Sea fields, decline.

http://xtramsn.co.nz/businessandmoney/0,,13273-5726676,00.html

Peter Kay

Promotion
Thunderbird: Reclaim your email inbox!
#8166 - 03 May 06 13:36 Re: Cos the rest of the world doesn't use oil....
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie:
Are Americans the only people in the world suffering from the petrol prices...?

How does the American theory of reducing foreign oil supplies that they use, fit into the fact that they seem to be invading the very oil suppliers for their own ill-gotten gains?

Who drills and retains the oil in the North Sea (I am not being a smart arse here, I really dont know, maybe Dili can answer this, I was always under the impression it was the U.K., since it was the poor bloody English that died on the bloody things years ago)
I guess the American suffering from the gas price has just a little bit to do with their appareantly ravenous invading oil supplies acts. In fact, there's is nothing to do with american people in whole. The ones whose truly beneficial is the big multinational gas companies and some politicians. Politicians need big funding and support from the richests for their campaigns. High position level persons in a multinational companies are their best ally, gas company is one example. They have mutual allignment, the campaign fund would be will always running as long as the politicians also take any necessary actions to give the benefit back. In this matter, politician would do anything to keep the tap running, the supply accessable and so on, Thus, most people in America would likely still suffering from the price hike. As the $100 check, it's suggestion from Republicans, Bush's party; as far as I notice, Bush and republicans loosing their public favoritism now a days, even the ones who also voted for Republican at the last election. So, what would be real purpose of giving the checks? They use the situation for political agenda; rather than take some actions which could solve the problem eminently and give out best solution for the people benefit only.
Naahhhh, I don't think they going to do it. It's common practices in every nations in the world, right?!

Magpie, the load off from you, because I'm the one who being smart ass now smile

#8167 - 03 May 06 14:00 Re: Cos the rest of the world doesn't use oil....
kingwilly Offline

Loc: Jakarta
high oil prices hurts every country - except the rich dudes ! like bush and his buddies and the OPEC nations!

#8168 - 03 May 06 14:33 Re: Cos the rest of the world doesn't use oil....
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
Like oil dude, Dilli smile

#8169 - 04 May 06 09:18 Re: Cos the rest of the world doesn't use oil....
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Keep the Oil Price high, keeps me in business.

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website