Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67365 - 31 Dec 07 17:46 Obese kids ?
MrNatas Offline
Member+

Loc: Jakarta
Yup, that's a topic I've always wondered about...

Maybe being French gets me a biased point of view, but I see many overweight kids everywhere I go. I've been living in poor and less poor areas, but it really strikes me.

They are also around on the tube, and it seems that they represent the ideal of an healthy childhood.

Mark me, I have nothing against fat people, but... this is dangerous !

Quoting wikipedia :
Quote:
"Without a change in diet or exercise patterns, childhood obesity can lead to life-threatening conditions including diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, sleep problems, cancer, and other disorders."

I know that, in some cultures and societies, harboring a plump silhouette is synonym of wealth, but when I can understand it in Pulau Nias, I cannot quite get it in Jakarta...

Someone has an apinion about it ?

#67389 - 01 Jan 08 17:04 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: MrNatas]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
nothing to do with being french, i can assure you.

nothing gets my blood boiling more than seeing an obese child, and there seems to be plenty of them here indonesia. the chinese are the worse culprits; many of them seem to equate fatness with "cuteness", or perhaps it's "power"; ie, the power of money and uncontrolled consumption.

whenever i see such kids i just want to grab their parents and crack their heads together.

#67391 - 01 Jan 08 17:22 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
you should see a lot of the kids in australia too at the moment- it is terribly sad.In my son's school they have actually had to introduce a fatness awareness thing-my god.
Nobody likes to let the kids walk by themselves
( danger/perception of danger)- everything is quite sedentary- computer games etc.People drive more than walk or ride a bike.
And one thing I notice at the supermarket when I go shopping( and peek into other trolleys while in the queue) is that people pile their trolleys high with many processed foods/frozen prepared
" foods" (like pizza and all that kind of stuff) -and soft drinks etc.Empty calories mostly .
Hopefully they buy their fresh fruit and veg from a different place- because often there is none there in those trolleys.

Its almost as if you have to pay extra for sporting activities that once upon a time would have just been happening as a matter of course among all the kids hanging out together in the street etc.

Edited by Ena (01 Jan 08 17:23)
Edit Reason: bad spelling

..take only what you need..

#67392 - 01 Jan 08 17:32 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Ena]
Tut Tut Offline
Member+

I know of a family who gives their baby a HUGE bottle of milk. And the babysitter told me that the baby often puked and when she puked, they were told to refill the bottle, made her drink it until she drank the whole bottle. All their kids do look like cabbage patch dolls come to think of it.

#67393 - 01 Jan 08 17:56 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Tut Tut]
Shesca Offline
Member*

As a parent I often see this as a dillema. On one side I know that having a fat kid doesnt mean he's healthy at all, but on the other side I will be very worry when he's not having appetite on healthy things I am preparing for his meal. There are still many out there who think that fat=good, but there are definitely increasing numbers of parents who think otherwise. I dont have an alternative to bad diet as for kids who are not old enough to understand about nutrition they are just good stuff to consume. In my case so long as the kids are also given enough portion of nutritional food such as fruits etc (easier than veggies for sure to be given to kids)and have active enough activities, he/she should be okay.
Just to add to the discussion, (just in case not everybody knows about this):Singapore is a country who pays very special attention to this issue. They give certain exercise program for overweight kids all the way until they go down to their ideal weight. Pretty interesting.

#67398 - 01 Jan 08 19:55 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Shesca]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
If they eat too much, slap them on the back of their head, shove your fingers (swiftly) down their throat and make them puke!

Works every time to prevent obesity!

#67404 - 01 Jan 08 21:14 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quick bit of sly editing there.

#67408 - 01 Jan 08 22:18 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Dilli]
MrNatas Offline
Member+

Quoting: Dilli
If they eat too much, slap them on the back of their head, shove your fingers (swiftly) down their throat and make them puke!

LOL !!

When I was a kid, there was a moment when I got quite overweight (40kg at 10 years old), and my father went mad about it and got me to a "don't munch around and finish your veggies" diet. it worked like a charm.

Kids have a lot more energy to spend than adults, and seeing them having a good appetite is indeed healthy, but it all depends on what they eat.

Varied food, good balance of dairies, carbohydrates and vitamins (veggies, people, veggies !!) should be the first thing to think about when feeding your kids.

McD, KFC, Pizza Hut and others are the worst kind of food you can get them, and I see many fat kids in these places...

I still don't understand why everybody's still not aware of the fact in this age of anti tobacco/sugar/CO2/whatever...

#67421 - 02 Jan 08 12:54 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: MrNatas]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Quoting: MrNatas

Maybe being French gets me a biased point of view

Tell me about being French. They eat in the very small portion!!

If i have kids i make sure my kids feed well. Feed them with small portion of milk. When they grow up a bit, i will make sure they eat small portion of food, in smaller plate!! so they will look petite and healthy! If they break the rules they don't get their money pocket! angel

#67427 - 02 Jan 08 13:33 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
nothing to do with being french, i can assure you.

nothing gets my blood boiling more than seeing an obese child, and there seems to be plenty of them here indonesia. the chinese are the worse culprits; many of them seem to equate fatness with "cuteness", or perhaps it's "power"; ie, the power of money and uncontrolled consumption.

whenever i see such kids i just want to grab their parents and crack their heads together.

Also I think kids should down the park doing Evel Knievel stunts on their bikes and playing footy. Where does one do this in Jakarta? The lack of green space/parks is the single most depressing thing about this city in my opinion.

#67437 - 02 Jan 08 18:32 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: emmajkt]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: emmajkt

If i have kids i make sure my kids feed well. Feed them with small portion of milk. When they grow up a bit, i will make sure they eat small portion of food, in smaller plate!! so they will look petite and healthy! If they break the rules they don't get their money pocket! angel

Good Lord.

#67438 - 02 Jan 08 18:34 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: MrNatas]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Dilli

LOL !!

When I was a kid, there was a moment when I got quite overweight (40kg at 10 years old), and my father went mad about it and got me to a "don't munch around and finish your veggies" diet. it worked like a charm.

Kids have a lot more energy to spend than adults, and seeing them having a good appetite is indeed healthy, but it all depends on what they eat.

Varied food, good balance of dairies, carbohydrates and vitamins (veggies, people, veggies !!) should be the first thing to think about when feeding your kids.

McD, KFC, Pizza Hut and others are the worst kind of food you can get them, and I see many fat kids in these places...

I still don't understand why everybody's still not aware of the fact in this age of anti tobacco/sugar/CO2/whatever...

Woodbines never did the kids any harm, if they smoked a regiment a day would help keep the weight down.

#67440 - 02 Jan 08 18:38 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

20 Craven A's and a few hours doon pit. That'll keep 'em thin...and riddled with rickets

#67441 - 02 Jan 08 18:52 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Roy's hair
20 Craven A's and a few hours doon pit. That'll keep 'em thin...and riddled with rickets

Rickets is raising its wobbly leg again in the UK, something about the lack of bush meat causing the silverys problems.

#67491 - 04 Jan 08 00:03 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: emmajkt]
MrNatas Offline
Member+

What ? Erf, ok, us people are not the tallest dudes on this planet, that's a fact. But we are the third best in longevity behind japan and greece, and usually it's explained by the diet we have.

#67537 - 04 Jan 08 15:12 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: MrNatas]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

What ? Erf, ok, us people are not the tallest dudes on this planet, that's a fact. But we are the third best in longevity behind japan and greece, and usually it's explained by the diet we have.

That could be something to do with not actually getting involved in that war thing that we had around 1940.

#67538 - 04 Jan 08 16:10 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: MrNatas]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere

What ? Erf, ok, us people are not the tallest dudes on this planet, that's a fact....

said who french dudes i saw in france as tall as any dudes in europe. I mean the gals, la petite...

sensiiii nih ye tripping

#67562 - 05 Jan 08 08:52 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
MrNatas Offline
Member+

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

That could be something to do with not actually getting involved in that war thing that we had around 1940.

Revise your History dude, without the french resistance, You'd probably be speaking german by now smile

#67566 - 05 Jan 08 11:20 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: MrNatas]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Oh the French Anglo Relationship! I am sure we love to slag off each other more than any two nations. History is an amazing thing isn't it? Depending on what country you were schooled in the reason Hitler was defeated and we are not speaking German is because of the English / Americans / French / Dutch or god knows where!

Yes I for one thank god for the steely determination and backbone of the French. Just remind me how long did you lot spend building the Maginot Line ?? Something like 9 years at a cost of 3 billion francs. How long before the Germans were eating sausages under the Eifel Tower?? 5 days wasn’t it??

#67567 - 05 Jan 08 15:18 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: MrNatas]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

Revise your History dude, without the french resistance, You'd probably be speaking german by now smile

What a load of old cobblers, notwithstanding dodging soap, the french resistance may have helped with the occasional cheese and wine party but that is about it. May I remind you that the UK didn't actually get invaded whereas france did (France formally surrendered to Germany on June 25, 1940, and a collaborationist government, led by Philippe Pétain and centered in Vichy, France, was established.)

Attachments
french.JPG

#67568 - 05 Jan 08 15:21 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: chewwyUK]
Jamil Hadid Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi i am new to this site - Jamil is my name

I love Jakarta/Bandung and Bali

I feel sorry for kids these days they are surrounded with technology and are so lazy

When i have kids i will make sure i lead by example and play with them at least twice a week for 4 hours in total (park etc)

#67569 - 05 Jan 08 16:02 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Jamil Hadid]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Jamil Welcome to the site. Please can you tell me where to find a park in Jakarta?

#67571 - 05 Jan 08 16:45 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: chewwyUK
Oh the French Anglo Relationship! I am sure we love to slag off each other more than any two nations. History is an amazing thing isn't it? Depending on what country you were schooled in the reason Hitler was defeated and we are not speaking German is because of the English / Americans / French / Dutch or god knows where!

Yes I for one thank god for the steely determination and backbone of the French. Just remind me how long did you lot spend building the Maginot Line ?? Something like 9 years at a cost of 3 billion francs. How long before the Germans were eating sausages under the Eifel Tower?? 5 days wasn?t it??

I believe the French had actually kept the Germans' hotel rooms clean and full of fresh towels ready for their triumphant return 25 years after WW1

#67574 - 05 Jan 08 17:07 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Roy's hair
Quoting: chewwyUK

Yes I for one thank god for the steely determination and backbone of the French. Just remind me how long did you lot spend building the Maginot Line ?? Something like 9 years at a cost of 3 billion francs. How long before the Germans were eating sausages under the Eifel Tower?? 5 days wasn?t it??

I believe the French had actually kept the Germans' hotel rooms clean and full of fresh towels ready for their triumphant return 25 years after WW1

The towels would be fresh, the french never used them.

#67575 - 05 Jan 08 17:14 Re: Obese kids ? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Heh heh, top banter Biggles

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  NetCop