Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67120 - 27 Dec 07 19:32 Benazir Bhutto dead
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (CNN) -- Former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto is said to be critically wounded following a suicide attack on a political rally in Rawalpindi, her husband, Asif Ali Zardari, was quoted as saying on CNN affiliate Geo TV.

Bhutto is helped from her vehicle following the October 18 suicide attack on her motorcade.

1 of 2 The attack has left at least 14 dead and 40 injured, Tariq Azim Khan, the country's former information minister, told CNN in a telephone interview.

The attacker is said to have detonated a bomb as he tried to enter the rally where thousands of people gathered to hear Bhutto speak, police said.

Bhutto is said to have been leaving the rally when the attack occurred and was taken to a hospital in an unconcious state, the Geo TV report said.

Earlier, a spokesman for Bhutto told CNN she was safe and taken away from the scene.

Video from the scene of the blast broadcast from Geo TV showed wounded people being loaded into ambulances.

Up to 20 people are dead, the report said.

Last news is that she ended up snuffing it.

#67124 - 27 Dec 07 20:02 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
yep. she's dead.

#67125 - 27 Dec 07 20:15 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: KuKuKaChu]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
yep. she's dead.

that's a shame frown

#67128 - 27 Dec 07 20:42 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: emmajkt]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
Q1: If she'd have lived and been voted Prime Minster, what changes could she have (i.e., had the power to have) made? What do you think would have been her likely political path?

Q2: What political/religious group likely did it?

#67129 - 27 Dec 07 21:43 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: flingwing]
Oldman Offline
Member++

Whoever the winner is, they must be backed up by The USA. Pakistan is The USA's ally.

The question is: who was the mastermind of that tragedy?

#67130 - 27 Dec 07 23:10 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Oldman]
Sammy Jankis Offline
Member+++

Loc: Manila, Philippines
Quoting: Oldman
Whoever the winner is, they must be backed up by The USA. Pakistan is The USA's ally.

The question is: who was the mastermind of that tragedy?

Ummm... Huh?
http://thehateproject.blogspot.com

#67131 - 27 Dec 07 23:57 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Sammy Jankis]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Exploding handriks can be the very devil at this time of year.

And on a more serious note the needles have started dropping out of my Xmas tree.

#67134 - 28 Dec 07 06:52 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Winners, Losers, WTF, ultimately the people off Pakistan are the losers.

Two things here, I have worked in Pakistan and found the people to be educated, friendly although undeniably poor. Given the choice between Pakistan and India if I had to work in either place I would choose Pakistan. I liked the place.

Secondly, I met Ms Bhutto a number off times in Dubai where she was a neighbour (lived 150 yards down the road). She was an unassuming lady who, despite her "heritage" did her own shopping and could be seen at the local supermarket (albeit not at the Pork Counter) and was definately "do-able".

Pakistan is now careering down a road that does not bode well for its future.

#67136 - 28 Dec 07 07:04 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Dilli
Winners, Losers, WTF, ultimately the people off Pakistan are the losers.

you're right there. even these past few years, the numbers of pakistanis trying to get into indonesia has increased substantially. i get a constant stream of enquiries from pakistan from people wanting visas. i general, i can't help them. immigration here charges an arm and a leg to approve visas for pakistanis, and even when approved, there is no guarantee the embassy in Islamabad will actually stamp it into their passport without further substantial charges! i just tell them, "sorry, can't help".

if i were a pakistani, i would be doing my level best to get a better passport!

#67137 - 28 Dec 07 07:41 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

off topic I know ....

Given incidents like this and other in the world I would suggest that the human race is probably going to kill its self off way before the environment turns on us.

I am going in search of an island I can buy and live in peace, spreading love and understanding to my guests. The rest of the world can bugger off when I rule in the land of chewwy. BTW the land of chewwy will only have one festive season based on the worship of lap dancers.

#67139 - 28 Dec 07 07:43 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: KuKuKaChu]
flingwing Offline
Member++

FW: Q2: What political/religious group likely did it?

OM #1: Whoever the winner is, they must be backed up by The USA. Pakistan is The USA's ally.

OM #2: The question is: who was the mastermind of that tragedy?
-----------------

Oldman, let's review the bidding.

You said the "winner" would be backed by the USA. By "winner" do you mean perpetrator? How would the murderer of Benazir Bhutto be a winner? And why would the perpetrator have to be the USA? Couldn't Benazir Bhutto have been an ally of the USA->Western->Non-totalitarian-> coalition?
-----------------------------

A morning news report I just read has this to say about the assassination <http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59395>.

PAKISTAN IN CRISIS
Bhutto assassinated in suicide attack
Al-Qaida reportedly takes responsibility for killing 'most precious American asset'.

U.S. officials are looking into a report that al-Qaida's main spokesman has claimed responsibility for Bhutto's death.

"We terminated the most precious American asset which vowed to defeat (the) mujahadeen," Mustafa Abu Al-Yazid told Adnkronos International in a phone call from an unknown location.

Al-Yazid is the main al-Qaida commander in Afghanistan. The decision to assassinate Bhutto is believed to have been made by al-Qaida's No. 2 leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, according to the news agency.
------------------------------------------

How does that fit with what you stated/asked?

#67140 - 28 Dec 07 07:50 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: flingwing]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Flingwing I think Sammy Jankis summed it up with the response

"Ummm... Huh?"

The fact that he uses the term "winner" in relation to the murder of another human clearly demonstrates the level of person we are dealing with.

Given he also seems to be interested in religious content I don't feel I have a lot in common with Oldman (not unless he is an ignorant old fat bule too!)

#67141 - 28 Dec 07 08:48 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
At the back of my mind I have visions of a 21st Century "Sarajevo Incident", the scary thing being it happened in the back yard of a nation with a history of hysteria and more importantly a Nuclear capability!

#67142 - 28 Dec 07 08:59 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

my thoughts on first hearing the news of the assassination: "who is soon going to have their fingers on the nuke buttons?"

#67143 - 28 Dec 07 09:19 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
oh .So sad. RIP.

..take only what you need..

#67151 - 28 Dec 07 10:43 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: flingwing]
Oldman Offline
Member++

Quoting: flingwing
Oldman, let's review the bidding.

You said the "winner" would be backed by the USA. By "winner" do you mean perpetrator? How would the murderer of Benazir Bhutto be a winner?

Most Pakistani political elites are The USA's allies, including Musharraf, Bhutto, and Syarif. They are all backed up by the USA. The USA knows exactly how to play the cards right. Whoever rules Pakistan, The USA will back them up as The USA has interests in Pakistan.

It is still a big mystery who the perpetrator was. And there's no guarantee that the perpetrator is going to win. But one thing for sure, the people of Pakistan are the victims. The victims of their leaders' greediness.

Quoting: flingwing
And why would the perpetrator have to be the USA?

Who knows? Everything's possible.

And as usual, The USA will put Al-Qaeda into the hot seat, the scape goat.

#67152 - 28 Dec 07 10:52 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: chewwyUK]
Oldman Offline
Member++

Quoting: chewwyUK

Given he also seems to be interested in religious content I don't feel I have a lot in common with Oldman (not unless he is an ignorant old fat bule too!)

You know yourself better that anybody else. laugh

#67153 - 28 Dec 07 10:56 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Oldman]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Hmmm --- I am by know means the biggest fan of America but thats just got to be one of the most ridiculously posts i have very read.

Thanks for clarifying that by "winner" you mean the person who replaces her. It was a very confusing original response to flingers.

America and the west would have absolutely nothing to gain by killing off Benazir Bhutto so I fail to see why you are linking this to America! What advantages would you see for America in this situation????

As for America putting Al-Qaeda in to the hot seat ???? I think them announcing that they are responsible takes care of that. Don't forget they are a terrorist organizations hell bent on murder and mayhem!

#67154 - 28 Dec 07 10:58 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Oldman]
Oldman Offline
Member++

Quoting: Oldman
Quoting: chewwyUK

You know yourself better than anybody else. laugh

I am fat...
I am old...
I am ignorant...
You name it!

But one thing for sure, I am not a BUGIL (BUle GILa).

#67155 - 28 Dec 07 12:27 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Oldman]
Sammy Jankis Offline
Member+++

Oldman: "And as usual, The USA will put Al-Qaeda into the hot seat, the scape goat."

From CNN:

"The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security issued a bulletin Thursday citing an alleged claim of responsibility by al Qaeda for former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto's assassination, a DHS official told CNN."

"..."

"The source of the claim was apparently an obscure Italian news agency, Adnkronos International (AKI), which said that al Qaeda Afghanistan commander and spokesman Mustafa Abu Al-Yazid had telephoned the agency to make the claim."

"We terminated the most precious American asset which vowed to defeat [the] mujahadeen," AKI quoted Al-Yazid as saying."

Whoopsie. Looks like you kneejerked too soon, oldman -- unless you have intimite knowledge that the USA has infiltrated Adnkronos International.

#67160 - 28 Dec 07 12:42 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Sammy Jankis]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Oldman has an agenda all of his own don't you Abraham?

The bugger needs some cork cream.

#67161 - 28 Dec 07 12:47 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Sammy Jankis Offline
Member+++

Ah yes, Doctor Scalliwag's Total Sex Builder all 'round for all, then! Shipping charges aren't free, unfortunately. We only use DHL.

smile

#67162 - 28 Dec 07 12:55 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Sammy Jankis]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I his case, I'll pay. I have a new recipe.

#67163 - 28 Dec 07 13:03 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Sammy Jankis Offline
Member+++

We've got no Habanero Souce out here, but I bet I can get my hands on some white phosphorus, magnesium and a box of matches to activate all the enlarging properties of the elixir. wink

#67170 - 28 Dec 07 18:52 Re: Benazir Bhutto dead [Re: Sammy Jankis]
Oldman Offline
Member++

You might think that my opinion is baseeless. Ok let's take it seriously. Do you know why The USA hasn't killed Osama bin Laden yet. Because The USA needs him. For what? As the scape goat. Any tragedy in this world would be linked to Osama. And people will always believe it as The USA could infiltrate the media easily.

Do you think it's hard for the USA to find Osama? Not at all. That's a piece of cake for them. But they won't do that. Too stupid to do that.

And why do you think it's impossible that USA was behind the tragedy? As I said, everything's possible for the USA. No big deal for the USA to kill others. They could even kill their own presidents!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop