Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66909 - 23 Dec 07 10:21 Home Brew - Beer and Cider
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I have promised myself that come the new year I will start to home brew a little ale and also start to produce my own pear cider. Does anybody know if any shops well home brew stuff? Or am I having to take a trip to singapore??

#66911 - 23 Dec 07 10:25 Re: Home Brew - Beer and Cider [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Singapore for Beer. There are a number of ingredients you cannot buy here (Yeasts for a start)but you can make the cider no problem.

#66912 - 23 Dec 07 10:31 Re: Home Brew - Beer and Cider [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
or just make some prison-style hooch: put pineapple juice into a narrow-necked bottle (flagon is best), stopper using cotton balls, add a spoon of sugar and yeast everyday for 1-2 weeks, and there you go ... ready to get plastered.

#66913 - 23 Dec 07 10:44 Re: Home Brew - Beer and Cider [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Sammy Jankis Offline
Member+++

Loc: Manila, Philippines
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
or just make some prison-style hooch: put pineapple juice into a narrow-necked bottle (flagon is best), stopper using cotton balls, add a spoon of sugar and yeast everyday for 1-2 weeks, and there you go ... ready to get plastered.

Um, KuKu? How is it that you know how to make prison-style hooch? Some dark corners of your past we don't know about perhaps?
http://thehateproject.blogspot.com

#66914 - 23 Dec 07 10:46 Re: Home Brew - Beer and Cider [Re: Sammy Jankis]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
wink

#66965 - 24 Dec 07 14:18 Re: Home Brew - Beer and Cider [Re: chewwyUK]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Quoting: chewwyUK
I have promised myself that come the new year I will start to home brew a little ale and also start to produce my own pear cider. Does anybody know if any shops well home brew stuff? Or am I having to take a trip to singapore??

I don't know about getting yeast and malt extract/grain in Indo (as Dilli had indicated in later post). I have personally helped my hubby brewed a few, IPA and wheat mostly american style. Homebrewing is a big business here in the US, so those ingredients are easy to come by. Singapore may be the closest place to get yeast and others, try Brewerkz, or Archipelago brewery (talked to the Brewerkz brewmaster a few years ago while in S'pore, quite a friendly fellow, bet he can give you some yeast starter). Good luck!

Moderator:  NetCop