Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66891 - 23 Dec 07 06:27 National Plus V's International Schools
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I am interested to know peoples opinions on National Plus Schools and International schools. I am unsure if there are enough benifits to international schools to justify the cost. If you are raising children in Indonesia wouldnt it be a more settled education in a National Plus school? Do national plus schools employ foreign teachers? What are the fee structures? What are the better National plus and International schooles in Jakarta?

#66916 - 23 Dec 07 16:34 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: chewwyUK]
sherlock Offline
Member+

Loc: Sumatra
I posted a reply about 3 hours ago but for some reason it is gone....I'll write it again when I get a bit more time.

#66917 - 23 Dec 07 17:13 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: sherlock]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I think we have kuku's new server to blame .. I am had the same problem

#66918 - 23 Dec 07 17:29 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Jak Chat's fucked mate. Needs new damp coursing and RSJs. The whole site should be condemned ideally.

#66920 - 23 Dec 07 17:36 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
What on earth is this? I make a point of insulting people and the post gets eaten by rayap?

#66921 - 23 Dec 07 17:38 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
hmmm ... seems to have been some issues with the new server ... wankers

#66922 - 23 Dec 07 17:40 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Jakarta International School will cost you a handsome US$20,000 per year son. Slightly pricier than Tooting Beck Secondary Modern I'll wager.

#66923 - 23 Dec 07 17:50 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: sherlock]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: sherlock
I posted a reply about 3 hours ago but for some reason it is gone....I'll write it again when I get a bit more time.

Shame really, your reply confirmed that International Schools are a waste of money.

#66924 - 23 Dec 07 19:11 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Captain. Be nice. It was a well-written opinion and it's a shame it's been eaten by gremlins.

#66927 - 23 Dec 07 19:22 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Yes of course - I forget that International schools also need games teachers.

You didn't comment on my rather sensible post where I suggested that if Chewwy wished (as I think he may) to be a long term resident of Indo than A good National Plus school offered and equally high standard of education.
Never mind.

What happened to Wally ? I was rather hoping to make an investment in his venture but he never came back.

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (23 Dec 07 19:24)

#66930 - 23 Dec 07 19:31 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
here's sherlock's deleted post:

Quoting: sherlock
In my opinion there is quite a bit of difference. The question you need to ask is if that difference is worth the huge fees.

To start with proper Int schools only allow a max of 20% of their students to be Indonesian nationals. This dramatically changes the atmosphere of the school. Add to this that students are always coming and going depending on their parents contracts, so yes Int schools do not tend to be as stable as nat plus.

In terms of teachers, all the good int schools employ foreign teachers who are usually well qualified. Nat plus schools try too but only a few of them can match the wages that makes it attractive for foreign teachers. I know of a lot of Nat plus school that hire foreigners who are unqualified, so if you go down the nat plus road try and do some research first.

The main advantage for Int schools is the curriculum. IB is now the in thing, so a lot of Int schools are picking up on it and it is attractive for the people who are here for a while, as they can then transfer to another school anywhere in the world that is also running IB.

Remember that in very few of the int schools that I have worked do the parents actually pay the fees themselves, it is usually included in their contract, so the school can charge exorbitant fees and they just get paid, making it out of reach for a lot of expats who are here for the long term.

One thing you have to be aware of is that a lot of schools just pop the name 'International School' on their front gate, but they are far from it. Be careful, there are some International schools are worse than Nat plus schools, the main thing is you really have to do some shopping around and do your homework.

In my opinion, stick with an IB school. You know they have been around for a while and aren't going to pack up overnight after taking your fees. They have gone through a rigorous accreditation process and usually hire good teachers. There are a few Nat plus schools that offer IB.

They are listed on the Ib website http://www.ibo.org/school/search/index.c...nd_schools=Find

#66933 - 23 Dec 07 19:51 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Agreed Captain, but National Plus schools are still rather expensive and overcrowded. With sparse sports facilities. And cafeterias packed with very little in the way of nutrition and a lot in the way of sugary shit that makes the pupils bounce off the walls.

#66935 - 23 Dec 07 20:03 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Piss Salon
Agreed Captain, but National Plus schools are still rather expensive and overcrowded. With sparse sports facilities. And cafeterias packed with very little in the way of nutrition and a lot in the way of sugary shit that makes the pupils bounce off the walls.

Very much a generalization, or perhaps I am generalizing - the school my little turds go to is well run and very good value , nothing like $20K a year

#66942 - 24 Dec 07 05:24 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I think given that I dont work for the oil and gas industry and my company wont be that interested in paying for my kids education the national plus school will be the better option. Thanks for the advice in searching for an IB school as some of them look good to me.

#66944 - 24 Dec 07 06:14 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I speak as one who's kid has been within the British educational system since kindergarten and has always worked abroad.

The charges are as has been correctly said "exorbitant" and possibly out off reach to those whose companies do not foot the bill's.

I have however always included this as a pre-requisute for any contract I have signed and even if the company did not pay these invoices directly, the compensation would need to be sufficient for me to pay them.

The benefits are in my opinion "substantial"!

When I moved to Jakarta from Dubai, my daughters education carried on with the same syllabus, the same topics being studied, the same levels of achievement being expected and the transition, educationally at least was seamless.

It does not matter where in the world this schooling takes place, the charges are pretty well the same. US$ 20K-US$22K is the going rate per year and there do not appear to be any cut price options, no matter whether the syllabus is UK, Australian, American or French for that matter.

The British International School (the only one I can speak off with some authority) is a "non profit" organisation insofar as any profit is re-cycled into the school istself, parents have a choice (through the PTA and the elected Board of Governers) as to where these profits are deployed and the accounts are transparent.

Yes, it may be a chunk of change, but, the net result is the undoubted quality of the educational resources being available to ones children and the the Report Card at the end of the year. (Which as yet, I have not been disappointed with).

#66946 - 24 Dec 07 06:34 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Dilli]
sherlock Offline
Member+

I have heard good things about Sekolah Global Jaya, fees are about 40 - 50 juta a year, depending on year levels.

As for the others I can't say as I have never actually worked in Jakarta.

Edited by sherlock (24 Dec 07 06:37)

#66948 - 24 Dec 07 07:05 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: sherlock]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Looks good but I cant see my kids going two hours to school .. Binus School in Simprug looks to be a good location. Anybody know anything about this?

#66959 - 24 Dec 07 12:56 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: chewwyUK]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Benis Hairs

#66961 - 24 Dec 07 13:10 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

It's always difficult to know the effect of a school in future performance as there is nothing to compare to, unless of course you have twins and you send one to a dump.

I suppose you can look back and say "well we have nowhere to live apart from this mud hut but you did go to an international school"

Chewwy also has to consider if he plans on having more sprogs with this wife or intends taking a second wife, I would have though it would be unfair to send one kiddy to International and the other to SD, soon gets expensive.

#66975 - 24 Dec 07 16:19 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Only planning on one or two captain ... 40-50 mill per year is okay -- a pain in the wallet but at least it is not $20K per year!

At the end of the day better to have an international education as who knows where I will end up over the next 18 years.

#66977 - 24 Dec 07 16:21 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: chewwyUK]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Where or in what institution/s Chewwy.

#66979 - 24 Dec 07 16:27 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Piss Salon]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Who knows ..... best case is I end up in a nice little house in bali, far far away from the smog of Jakarta. Worse case I end up back in the suburbs of Sydney working 14 hour days just to meet my mortgage payments

I have about three years before I need to start to worry about these things. Always good to get peoples opinions.

#66982 - 24 Dec 07 16:56 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: chewwyUK]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: chewwyUK
Only planning on one or two captain ... 40-50 mill per year is okay -- a pain in the wallet but at least it is not $20K per year!

At the end of the day better to have an international education as who knows where I will end up over the next 18 years.

You certainly need National plus unless you want junior to come home smoking kreteks and eating bakso.

I think that following a N+ education will at least breed a bit of humility rather than the centre of attention spoiled brats the international schools tend to spew out.

#66985 - 24 Dec 07 18:27 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
sherlock Offline
Member+

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Quoting: chewwyUK

You certainly need National plus unless you want junior to come home smoking kreteks and eating bakso.

I think that following a N+ education will at least breed a bit of humility rather than the centre of attention spoiled brats the international schools tend to spew out.

IMHO and in my experience Nat plus schools are actually more snobby and many of the kids are tend to be little terds who think their shit dosen't stink. Many tend to be rich Chinese Indonesians and think that money can buy anything. Talk about spoiled, A colleague once told me that in a Nat + school he worked in, half the kids where untouchable, meaning that they were not to be told off because mommy or daddy wouldn't allow it. The result was big discipline problems and huge superiority complexes.

Nat+ schools are a social badge for many indonesian families, most are rich so I am not sure what humility will be learnt there.

In Int Schools that I have had experience in or heard about discipline is not much of an issue at all. In fact, the kids are usually well travelled and have more of an understanding of their global community so tend to be anything but spolied.

Just my opinion.

Edited by sherlock (24 Dec 07 18:28)

#66988 - 25 Dec 07 05:17 Re: National Plus V's International Schools [Re: sherlock]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
"In Int Schools that I have had experience in or heard about discipline is not much of an issue at all. In fact, the kids are usually well travelled and have more of an understanding of their global community so tend to be anything but spolied."

Agreed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop