Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66182 - 10 Dec 07 13:36 Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Anti-Chinese riot shakes eastern Indonesia

Fabio Scarpello in Denpasar

A petty accident sparked 24 hours of sectarian violence on Thursday and Friday in the West Kalimantan city of Pontianak.

According to details just emerging, the riot started after a fight that involved an Indonesian of ethnic Chinese ancestry on Thursday.

Indonesia’s Metro TV reported that on Friday an angry mob targeted a Buddhist temple and that several houses, two motorcycles, and four cars were also damaged in the attack.

Further violence erupted after a separate, but related argument took place in a café nearby.

Calm was restored only after the police imposed a first-alert status, called in reinforcements from a nearby police command and increased the presence of officers in a number of strategic places and houses of worship around the city.

According to local media, three people are still being held by the police, who are trying to establish the causes of the violence.

Calm has been restored and the first-alert status has been lifted, but the situation remains tense.

Spokesman for West Kalimantan Police, Sr. Commander Suhadi Siswo Wibowo, called on people not to be provoked by rumors or to take the law into their own hands.

General Secretary of the Chinese Customary Cultural Council in West Kalimantan province, Andreas Acui Simanjaya, expressed his concern over the incidents and called on all residents to help maintain peace.

Pontianak is known to be a relatively harmonious community with a large ethnic Chinese population, and according to Jakarta-based risk assessment firm, Concord Review, the racial tension is therefore disturbing and tight control needs to be imposed to prevent a spread to other areas.

“Racial tension in (Pontianak) is not a good indicator of the overall situation of inter-ethnic relations in Indonesia as a whole,” Concord Review stressed.

Up until recently, local politicians often used ethnic Chinese people as scapegoats for all the country’s ills. As a result, Chinese-Indonesians suffered severe discrimination during the Suharto regime (1965-1998).

The situation started to improve under former president Abdurrahman Wahid and has improved further under current president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

It was on Dr. Yudhoyono’s watch that parliament in July 2006 approved a law that erased ethnic discrimination from the country’s constitution.

The law recognized as Indonesian anyone who was born to Indonesian parents and had never changed citizenship. Previously, the constitution separated Indonesians on ethnic grounds into “indigenous” and “non-indigenous”, and gave them different rights.

Ethnic Chinese were classified as non-indigenous and relegated to de facto second-class citizenship.

#66189 - 10 Dec 07 15:29 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: riccardo
It was on Dr. Yudhoyono’s watch that parliament in July 2006 approved a law that erased ethnic discrimination from the country’s constitution.

...not from its collective unconcious though...

#66194 - 10 Dec 07 17:24 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: Roy's hair

We are supposed to be "educated" people here - and yet we are unable to supress our racism why expect any different from the locals?

Quote:
because THEY HATE US (all civilized people, i.e., non-muslims) and see US as their enemy.

#66195 - 10 Dec 07 17:50 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: riccardo]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere

Ethnic Chinese were classified as non-indigenous and relegated to de facto second-class citizenship.

Second Class citizen u meanlike in most countries such as Australia and america they classified 'asian' as second class citizen.

But take a look closer, ironically 'second class citizen' in Indonesia ( i doubt that Indonesian really use that expression ) they take most of trade business than any 'indigenous' so can't be that bad, all indonesians( indigenous or not ) can live in harmony. I think they actually support each other.

What is the problem is the system, most of politicians in government are hypocrites anyway, once again 'THE SYSTEM'

#66225 - 11 Dec 07 19:38 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Quoting: Roy's hair

We are supposed to be "educated" people here - and yet we are unable to supress our racism why expect any different from the locals?

Quote:
because THEY HATE US (all civilized people, i.e., non-muslims) and see US as their enemy.

Yawn... why we always talk about the same s$%*t over and over again, eh, Kakek tua???

#66389 - 15 Dec 07 06:25 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: Shesca]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus

#66749 - 20 Dec 07 16:19 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: emmajkt]
sherlock Offline
Member+

Loc: Sumatra
Quote:
Second Class citizen u meanlike in most countries such as Australia and america they classified 'asian' as second class citizen.

To answer your question - no, at least not in Australia. People from Asian decent who are Australian citizens are classed as Australians not matter what colour their skin is.

Emma, Get a grip - almost every post I have read of yours is uneducated and your "what about your faults" attitude reminds me of the SD students my wife teaches.

#66761 - 20 Dec 07 20:40 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: sherlock]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I don’t know what part of Aussie you come from big S, but the notion of the nation you make out to be as some sort of Utopia is plain wrong.. It is a South African wannabe.

Try and be Asian or some Pacific Islander in some isolated part of the ocean, for example New Zealand, then the verbal brutality you experience from an Aussie is all race-based. Or involves a sheep. Or two.

The very average Australian, which makes up 100 percent of the world’s smallest continent, is very much into their own little clique, whether it’s an ethnic group or the fortune of the local aerial ping-pong team. Even when they travel, they hunt in packs; like roving dogs.

Further, I think you should tell you wife about the SD students you keep thinking about. Particularly when they are more intelligent than yourself.

#66762 - 20 Dec 07 20:48 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

P.S.

Currently, the world's number 9 story.

Melbourne: Alcoholism is so rampant among Australian youngsters that girls as young as 11 get into prostitution just for a couple of cans of beer, a report by Sydney's Odyssey House revealed.

The annual report said children as young as 10 were being admitted to Odyssey's treatment program for alcohol abuse.

According to Sydney youth campaigner and head of Youth Off the Streets, Father Chris Riley, it was not surprising that the report showed that kids as young as 10 were abusing alcohol. Father Riley said that his personal experiences helping troubled kids were echoed in the report.

"In some of the communities we're working in at 9.30 in the morning, 12- (and) 13-year-olds have bottles of Jack Daniels in their hands, and it is just shocking the way these things are available to kids," news.com.au quoted Father Riley, as saying.

He added: "In one of our communities we work in, a group of girls aged between 11 and 16 go down to the bars and clubs at 1am, because that is when they will close, and will prostitute themselves simply for a can or two of beer. This is common throughout the communities we're working in."

"We're opening more and more liquor outlets, more and more access to alcohol... and we just don't get it, we just keep making it more available," said Father Riley.

"These kids can get access to alcohol whenever they want, and that is just not good enough,” he added.

He supported product labelling that warn kids about the dangers of drinking and called for alco-pops to be banned.

"I keep saying: 'Let's put labels on alcohol products saying that alcohol does brain damage to adolescents'," he said.

He added, "Let's take away those alco-pops which are targeting teens. Kids don't like the taste of alcohol, they like the effects that alcohol has on them, but they can get an alcoholic drink that tastes like a soft drink."

#66766 - 21 Dec 07 05:26 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: Piss Salon]
sherlock Offline
Member+

Quoting: Piss Salon
I don’t know what part of Aussie you come from big S, but the notion of the nation you make out to be as some sort of Utopia is plain wrong. It is a South African wannabe.

Try and be Asian or some Pacific Islander in some isolated part of the ocean, for example New Zealand, then the verbal brutality you experience from an Aussie is all race-based. Or involves a sheep. Or two.

The very average Australian, which makes up 100 percent of the world’s smallest continent, is very much into their own little clique, whether it’s an ethnic group or the fortune of the local aerial ping-pong team. Even when they travel, they hunt in packs; like roving dogs.

The original post mentioned the problems ethnic chinese faced with constitutional racism and how SBY is looking to eradicate that. Emma then decided to mention that Australia treats Asian as second class citizens, which in this context is wrong as no such law exists. I have no problem with people criticising Austrlia if it is valid, but not just becuase somebody critices their coutnry first and they use the "well what about you" attitude".

I'm not saying I live(d) in a utopia, You just assumed I think that. Please try reading the post before making assumptions. There are many, many problems with Australia and the alcohol amonst teenagers is a huge one - I've seen it first hand teaching in secondary school.

FYI, I lived in Melbourne, and still have many close freinds there, most of them Asian. They speak with thick Australian accents and many haven't ever been to their country of origin. They tell me they have never experienced any racism in Melbourne. I know for a fact that this would not necassarily be the case outside the city, but they are by no means treated as second class citizens, by law or in practice.

Quote:

Further, I think you should tell you wife about the SD students you keep thinking about. Particularly when they are more intelligent than yourself

Haha, and I am the one who is unintelligent.

#66767 - 21 Dec 07 06:25 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: sherlock]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

It is true that as far as treatment by the government goes Australia doesnt look at race or religion these days. However in my experience (and I have an Australian passport) many Australians are very racist by nature. This is probably a hangover from the white Australian immigration policy, combined by 12 years of John Howard who was so racist managed to win all of Pauline Hansons voters!

I would hope that over the next 20 years things will improve as it does have a lot going for it. But there is a long way to go before things settle down.

A white Australian friend of mine and his Indonesian wife who live in Sydney recently had a dinner party. The dinner conversation turned to Islam and both of them sat in shock as their guests went in to the whole "send em back", "all terrorists" and "they just dont want to be Australian" conversation. After 30 minutues of hearing these people my friend and his wife announced they were Muslim. The response from the table ....

"oh yeah but you are alright ... you are not one of THOSE muslims"

#66769 - 21 Dec 07 08:44 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Piss Salon
Melbourne: Alcoholism is so rampant among Australian youngsters that girls as young as 11 get into prostitution just for a couple of cans of beer, a report by Sydney's Odyssey House revealed.

How much do Quantas charge for a flight to Melbourne then? I'll bring a six pack of Bintang

#66770 - 21 Dec 07 08:46 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: chewwyUK]
sherlock Offline
Member+

Quoting: chewwyUK
It is true that as far as treatment by the government goes Australia doesnt look at race or religion these days. However in my experience (and I have an Australian passport) many Australians are very racist by nature. This is probably a hangover from the white Australian immigration policy, combined by 12 years of John Howard who was so racist managed to win all of Pauline Hansons voters!

I would hope that over the next 20 years things will improve as it does have a lot going for it. But there is a long way to go before things settle down.

A white Australian friend of mine and his Indonesian wife who live in Sydney recently had a dinner party. The dinner conversation turned to Islam and both of them sat in shock as their guests went in to the whole "send em back", "all terrorists" and "they just dont want to be Australian" conversation. After 30 minutues of hearing these people my friend and his wife announced they were Muslim. The response from the table ....

"oh yeah but you are alright ... you are not one of THOSE muslims"

I have to agree with you 100% chewy... Some of the absolute bollocks I have heard sprouted by intelligent Australians is astounding. Just look at the recent protests against Islamic school in outer Sydney.

What I objected to initially was that the topic didn't have anything to do with Australia and the comments by Emma were just plain wrong.

#66774 - 21 Dec 07 09:33 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: sherlock]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Ahhh .. there is the problem. 99% of the time the comments have nothing to do with the original topic. I am amazed that we are at the end of page one and still close to the original thread .. It may be a first

#66777 - 21 Dec 07 09:36 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Why have the heels gone on these new shoes after only two weeks? Does anyone have any similar complaints?

#66778 - 21 Dec 07 09:39 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: Roy's Hair]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I would have at a guess that its because your shoes were not designed with transvestites in mind roy. In furture try shoping at http://www.candlelightfashions.com/crossdressershoes.html

#66782 - 21 Dec 07 10:06 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

They've got some Lilly lovely Sammy shoes over on that site. As I said, I was mincing down the roady poady the other Davey daykins and my heel snapped right off. I was right Phillip furious I can tell you duckie.

#66787 - 21 Dec 07 11:32 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: Roy's Hair]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Don't you hate it when it all goes pete tong. As I was tellin the skin and blister just the other day its all very well and good but then you are living a porky arent ya love

Oh and as a side joke .....

Q. What do londerners pay for shampoo these days?

A. Paan - ten

#66789 - 21 Dec 07 13:49 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: chewwyUK]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i don't understand confused

#66790 - 21 Dec 07 14:08 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: sherlock]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Quoting: sherlock
To answer your question - no, at least not in Australia. People from Asian decent who are Australian citizens are classed as Australians not matter what colour their skin is.

Hold on there, i mean socially... You know exactly what i mean. They are thick racism, i am not talking about 'Australian citizent' literally.

Get a grip your self about your bollocks, don't try to make a beef with me. Or is that what you trying to make?

Proud about your SD teacher wife? that's sweet dude !

#66792 - 21 Dec 07 15:23 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: emmajkt]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Tsk Tsk Emma, I sometimes wonder if you read what people are actually trying to say before you respond.......

#66806 - 21 Dec 07 16:11 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
i don't understand confused

I am supposedly from London and I'll be buggered if I know what he means.

#66825 - 21 Dec 07 19:22 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: emmajkt]
sherlock Offline
Member+

Quoting: emmajkt

Hold on there, i mean socially... You know exactly what i mean. They are thick racism, i am not talking about 'Australian citizent' literally.

Get a grip your self about your bollocks, don't try to make a beef with me. Or is that what you trying to make?

Oh my?? Don't you see Emma that's my point exactly. The article did not mention anything to do with social second class citizens. It was talking about legally changing the status of Chinese-Indonesian citizens. Thus, why bring up that you think Australia is racist????

Your post had nothing to do with the article and just shows up your prejudices.

PLEASE read what is being posted and think before you reply.

Quote:
Proud about your SD teacher wife? that's sweet dude !

Yes I am, she works at a top International school and makes us lots of money!!! smile

#66847 - 22 Dec 07 11:58 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: sherlock]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

You should get yourself another three then.

#66852 - 22 Dec 07 13:09 Re: Anti-Chinese riots in Kalimantan [Re: sherlock]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Your post had nothing to do with the article and just shows up your prejudices.

Geez, dude... i don't think i am prejudice at all, it is very known that racism and discrimination in Australia are pretty much thick, i also know there is anti-racism policy every now and then but practically white australian treat different races in Australia like a trash... Why do you think Riots happens??

Upset i am telling what it is? Don't be offended, sorry bout that. This is something to think, nothing personal ... wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop