I read this editorial (excerpt below) a couple of days ago and just couldn't help but think that it sounded like begging; no different than the little kids one sees at traffic lights in any major city of Indonesia.

No dignity at all.

The problem is not lack of money or even human resources in Indonesia -- it's all about the political will of the decision-makers. All the good, intelligent people are ethnic minorities and are essentially barred from decision-making posts in the government (and are thus making profit in private business or with UN/NGO groups). This country's politicians and kleptocrats WILL NEVER approve multi-billion dollar R&D projects (even though there is money from all these natural resources) because they can't see any way to milk the cash cow in the short-term.

They have no vision, so they just approve projects that they can get a big kickback for NOW and then BEG for help and money (with an assist from their 'boys' in the media) when bigwigs come to town -- as is the case now with the Bali Summit.

...For many of us, who live in developing countries like Indonesia, buying products that are environmentally-friendly is, most of the time, more expensive. It's because we neither have the technology nor the money to do the research and development.

But this situation might change in the near future after senior officials from over 180 countries negotiating the Kyoto Protocol mechanism agreed to put forward the issue of technology transfer from the Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technology Advice (SBSTA) to the Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI).

This development means that negotiations on technology transfers will now focus on implementation, no more talking shops.

It will focus on how best to transfer technology to developing countries, and how that will be pursued and how deep and how far technology transfer will go.

Technology transfer is one of the toughest issues negotiated in Bali because some developed countries, apparently Japan and Canada, have rejected the inclusion of technology transfer...