Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66145 - 09 Dec 07 09:45 Internet in Jakarta
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
It will vary from area to area in Jakarta and some are good in some neighborhoods, but useless in others. As for moi, ZapNet is great... after I tweaked it myself.

KabelVisionNet/FastNet were absolute CRAP (and even worse customer service), Telkom Speedy was ordered 3 weeks ago and haven't arrived yet, 3g-Net couldn't get a signal in my area, several others that we checked out only had like 4 GB d/L limits per month for RP xxxx million etc...

ZapNet is very new (launched in mid-2006) and only cover a few areas of the city (so it might not be good yet for most people), but they plan to expand city-wide. Unlimited d/L and less than 1/2 million rupiah. Their problem is that the installation guys can't be bothered (and aren't equipped) to set up the antenna in the most optimum place. They just come in, set up the modem and software and split. I spent the weekend adding an extension to the antenna (for which I'll probably lose the deposit $$) and placing the thing in an optimum place up on the roof. Now it's the fastest I've ever had or seen anywhere in Indonesia. Let's see what the next rainstorm before getting too excited.

#66152 - 09 Dec 07 18:51 Re: Internet in Jakarta [Re: riccardo]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Loc: Previously Wagin, Western Aust...
I am in Purwokerto, some may say it's the end of the world, but Telkom Speedy is fine here. Installation was done 2 days after I placed the order and I've had no trouble,

The only problem I've had (but it's ok now) was with Windows Vista ... see my other post for details.

#66168 - 09 Dec 07 23:20 Re: Internet in Jakarta [Re: terenjac]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: terenjac
I am in Purwokerto, some may say it's the end of the world, but Telkom Speedy is fine here. Installation was done 2 days after I placed the order and I've had no trouble,

The only problem I've had (but it's ok now) was with Windows Vista ... see my other post for details.

I too have no trouble with Speedy, customer service etc has been fine. Some people just attract trouble.

Did you ever get your Kazi sorted out?

#66173 - 10 Dec 07 07:39 Re: Internet in Jakarta [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Loc: Previously Wagin, Western Aust...
Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

I too have no trouble with Speedy, customer service etc has been fine. Some people just attract trouble.

Did you ever get your Kazi sorted out?

If by 'Kazi' you mean that porcelain appliance usually found in a kamar cecil, then I am pleased to announce to anyone who is even remotely interested that I have a western style toilet in my humble abode !!!!! Yaaaaaayyyyy !!!!!!

#66174 - 10 Dec 07 07:41 Re: Internet in Jakarta [Re: terenjac]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
... I have a western style toilet in my humble abode !!!!! Yaaaaaayyyyy !!!!!!

that's ok. as long as you don't use toilet paper.

#66511 - 18 Dec 07 00:27 Re: Internet in Jakarta [Re: riccardo]
brad Offline

Speedy started off great, then slowed and finally started freezing all the time. Just started Fastnet - FAST so far.

#66520 - 18 Dec 07 07:52 Re: Internet in Jakarta [Re: brad]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I am feeding off a stolen wireless connection here in Thailand. Fast as fuck! I have never encountered speed like this anywhere in Jakarta.....

Mind you, If I Google search "Fuck the King" the system does tend to melt-down instantly!

#66552 - 18 Dec 07 14:29 Re: Internet in Jakarta [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Fastnet is launching a business service in January according to my inside man. I will not doubt be signing up!

#66559 - 18 Dec 07 15:29 Re: Internet in Jakarta [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Chew, if you want a better one for your business, go with BizNet. They are head and shoulders above anyone else and people like Fast Net basically buy a line from them, so you are buying it from the middleman. They don't have a service yet in my area, but I will get it as soon as they do and their main focus is on offices and LANs. They are expensive, but they are wired directly into the US and Euro networks, not piggybacking like all the others.
http://www.biz.net.id/En/Default.aspx

#66577 - 18 Dec 07 17:41 Re: Internet in Jakarta [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Is that Veg or Non-Veg Biznet?

Moderator:  NetCop