Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#66002 - 06 Dec 07 16:21 Vegan Indonesian Food
BAPAKADRIAN Offline

Loc: London
Hi

I'll be moving to Bali soon. Having previously lived in Jakarta over a decade ago, I know it won't be hard to feed myself even though I now do not eat any animal products (no meat, fish, eggs, milk). I used to eat Sate, Dendeng & Rendang by the bucket load, so sticking to the diet with be tough!!

I'm wondering if I need to watch out for or avoid any seemingly vegetarian dishes. I realize dried shrimps tend to be a wide spread ingredient and find their way into chili sauce, etc. Any hints?

THANKS

#66023 - 06 Dec 07 19:54 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: BAPAKADRIAN]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Become a crockerian like me. I only eat broken crockery.

#66031 - 07 Dec 07 00:03 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: Roy's Hair]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Or vegetarian cat poo

#66038 - 07 Dec 07 00:20 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: Roy's hair
Become a crockerian like me. I only eat broken crockery.

Become a Riparian like me - I only drink water.

#66040 - 07 Dec 07 00:29 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: BAPAKADRIAN]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: BAPAKADRIAN
Hi

I'll be moving to Bali soon. Having previously lived in Jakarta over a decade ago, I know it won't be hard to feed myself even though I now do not eat any animal products (no meat, fish, eggs, milk). I used to eat Sate, Dendeng & Rendang by the bucket load, so sticking to the diet with be tough!!

I'm wondering if I need to watch out for or avoid any seemingly vegetarian dishes. I realize dried shrimps tend to be a wide spread ingredient and find their way into chili sauce, etc. Any hints?

THANKS

Eat McDonalds - there is more nourishment in the packing, and no meat.

What are you going to do with the cat ? give it a right good talking to? (BTW) do yourself a favour and do a "Rigsby" on the cat.

Quote:
You don't understand, do you? A car is essential in this country. You can't travel by jungle creeper round here, you know.

Attachments
33clunk017.jpg

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (07 Dec 07 00:39)

#66045 - 07 Dec 07 05:53 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Please dont start me on Kittenz again!

#66103 - 08 Dec 07 04:25 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: BAPAKADRIAN]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
many indonesian foods is vegetarian like gado-gado, pecel, karedok, ketoprak, rujak, tahu, tempe, gorengan, es cendol, es cincau, tumis kangkung, sayur asam, sayur lodeh, lontong sayur, etc etc. mmm yummy. i missing all that alot smile

#66106 - 08 Dec 07 04:57 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: dolphin]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
and of course Bali has a wide variety of Restaurants, including vegetarian. In fact I always see a veggie restaurant on Sunset Drive near Carrefour .. no doubt they will love your business as I have never seen anybody eating there!

#66117 - 08 Dec 07 06:34 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: chewwyUK]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i've never actually met an indonesian vegetarian in all the time i've been here. there must be a story to this ...

#66138 - 09 Dec 07 03:00 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: KuKuKaChu]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
oh really ku? when i'm in indo, my mum always cooked vege foods for me smile and its easy also, you can find it also in rumah makan sederhana lol wink

#66140 - 09 Dec 07 05:43 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: dolphin]
Pooh Bah

sure, you can fine food that doesn't have meat in it. but i've never come across an indonesian who has unilaterally declared themselves to be vegetarian. (but then, maybe indonesians have the good sense not to try and oppose hundreds of thousands of years of Man's evolution as an omnivore.)

#66149 - 09 Dec 07 16:39 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: dolphin]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: dolphin
many indonesian foods is vegetarian like gado-gado, pecel, karedok, ketoprak, rujak, tahu, tempe, gorengan, es cendol, es cincau, tumis kangkung, sayur asam, sayur lodeh, lontong sayur, etc etc. mmm yummy. i missing all that alot smile

It's more than just not having meat in it though - potentially so much is "contaminated" - the oil having been used to fry chicken for example.

If you are veggie in spirit but won't have a wobble if a bit creeps in then no problem, otherwise you may have to find somewhere very specialized .

I had to laugh a while back at an Indian "client" - in one of his very few forrays out of the compound we went for a meal - I ordered my food , he ordered his. I forget now but I think he had the old favourite Tjap Tjay , I told him I didn't realised that he ate meat - he went a bit green and told me that he had asked in his best Indonesian "ada daging?" to which of course the reply was no - of course it didn't , it had ikan , ikan ayam.

#66414 - 16 Dec 07 00:30 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I had an Indian gf a while back. What a nightmare. She was a vegetarian and whenever we travelled out of Jakarta we spent most of your time searching for places she could (or, as the case was, couldn't) eat. Even things like nasi goreng she wouldn't touch because of the oil the kaki lima used.

#66417 - 16 Dec 07 05:07 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Vegetarian, didn't eat meat, bet I know why she is an "ex" girlfriend!

#66435 - 16 Dec 07 10:20 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

didn't give piss a nosh ay?

#66450 - 16 Dec 07 16:52 Re: Vegan Indonesian Food [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Piss Salon
I had an Indian gf a while back. What a nightmare. She was a vegetarian and whenever we travelled out of Jakarta we spent most of your time searching for places she could (or, as the case was, couldn't) eat. Even things like nasi goreng she wouldn't touch because of the oil the kaki lima used.

It's unusual you know , no matter how much they look like a hairy inverted lightbulb they don't generally go for a bule, particularly a bit of rough.

#66571 - 18 Dec 07 17:08 Looking for a recipe for Chili con tempe [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Any takers? I understand that it is delicious.

#68434 - 19 Jan 08 22:02 Re: Looking for a recipe for Chili con tempe [Re: BAPAKADRIAN]
Sammy Carlton Offline

Loc: UK
Quoting: BAPAKADRIAN
Hi

THANKS

Oprah Winfrey's website has many recipes. So does yahoo. Just browse then you will find them....

#68436 - 19 Jan 08 22:09 Re: Looking for a recipe for Chili con tempe [Re: Sammy Carlton]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ask the Captain, he has a few

#68440 - 20 Jan 08 00:33 Re: Looking for a recipe for Chili con tempe [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

He cooks for himself....and others.

#68444 - 20 Jan 08 01:29 Re: Looking for a recipe for Chili con tempe [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I went for the Veg option in EP friday, the cheeseburger- seen more meat on a butcher's pencil.

And that Chewwy, totally ignore me - looking like a refugee from the Kray twins. And who is that old bird with the Don King gas explosion hair do? Lens wants to keep that thing under look and key when it isn't on display - frightened the life out of me.

#68448 - 20 Jan 08 06:17 Re: Looking for a recipe for Chili con tempe [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

fuck me --- Now they are coming from outside jakarta for an hour of free beer!!! Nice of you to introduce yourself. Think your name should be changed from Capt. Mainwaring to Captain Shadow

#68449 - 20 Jan 08 06:23 Re: Looking for a recipe for Chili con tempe [Re: chewwyUK]
Pooh Bah

he's a shy one, is our capt.

#68451 - 20 Jan 08 06:47 Re: Looking for a recipe for Chili con tempe [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Chewwy, I doubt if he had arrived in time for the free beer. If he had, there would no doubt have been a comment about myself, and since I left early I can only presume that you stayed a bit later than normal.

Who's the bird with the Don King hair, I dont think I've seen her!

#68452 - 20 Jan 08 08:15 Re: Looking for a recipe for Chili con tempe [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I didnt stay that long .. although I was sent out for baby formula when I got home and made a real mess of the car! managed to do a substantial amont of damage by driving in to my front gate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop