Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65656 - 29 Nov 07 11:00 Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then)
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Groups demand public order bylaw revision

Todays Jakarta Post

An alliance of 12 non-governmental organizations has demanded the revision of Jakarta's new public order bylaw, saying it opposes pluralism.

Jakarta for All Alliance, whose members include the Jurnal Perempuan Foundation, Kalyanamitra, the Jakarta Legal Aid Institute and the Association of Indonesian Women for Justice, has rejected the bylaw saying it marginalizes people and limits their activities, especially the poor.

Some articles discriminate the sick, women, non-Muslims, those in the informal sector and people who prefer traditional medical treatment, Rena Hardianti from the alliance said in a public discussion Tuesday titled "Jakarta public order bylaw threatens your life".

Rena said many people were still unaware of the content of the bylaw's articles and thought that it only affected the poor.

Article 46 stipulates that keeping alcoholic beverages is prohibited without permission from authorities, while Article 31 says anyone or any organization that runs a restaurant or a food stall should first obtain halal certification.

"Note that the articles refer to anyone. So what if someone keeps a beer in their refrigerator? Or what if a vendor sells pork? Should he or she just use a halal label and lie to buyers?" said activist Yenni Rosa Damayanti.

Asfinawati, director of the Jakarta Legal Aid Institute, also said the bylaw contradicted the Constitution and other higher-level regulations.

As an example, she said, those who ordered others to work as beggars could be jailed from 20 to 90 days, as stipulated in article 40, while the anti-trafficking law carries higher sanctions; up to several years in jail.

"So, those who should actually be punished for years in jail could get a lighter punishment," she said.

The bylaw was passed by the City Council on Sept. 10 and is currently being disseminated to the public before it takes effect in January.

The public discussion was interrupted by two public order officers who continued to interject when Yoseph Adi Prasetyo, from the National Commission on Human Rights, highlighted articles he said violated people's basic rights.

Ahmad Wahid Supandi, secretary of the Commission A on administration of the City Council, asked the alliance to read the bylaw thoroughly.

"Please read the additional explanation, don't just highlight parts of the bylaw," he told the audience.

Jurnal P. Siahaan, head of the legal bureau at the city administration, denied the bylaw did not respect human rights.

"In fact, we want to protect human rights through the bylaw," he said. (dia)

Sections of highlighted articles

Article 31 line 3
Individuals or organizations that run restaurants are obliged to display a halal label.
* The alliance highlights the word "anyone", questioning whether people who sell non-halal foods should lie and just use the halal label.

Article 46
Individuals or organizations are not allowed to keep alcoholic beverages without permission from the authorities.
* Not even for personal consumption?

Article 47
Individuals or organizations are prohibited from organizing or performing any type of traditional medical treatment or mysticism without permission from the Governor or an appointed official.
* What about traditional treatments like prana (the use of inner power in martial arts to cure diseases) or Chinese chikung and acupuncture?

Article 41
Those suffering from a disease that causes discomfort to the public, such as leprosy and mental illness, are banned from public spaces.
* The sick should not be discriminated against.

Source: Jakarta For All Alliance

#65669 - 29 Nov 07 19:51 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: Dilli]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
Muslim Nazis! mad

#65670 - 29 Nov 07 23:54 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: flingwing]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Over the last couple years, most of you muzzie apologists have, at times, berated me for calling a spade a spade and in your personal lives, have "tolerated" these fools -- WELL, WELL, WELL, I hate to say 'I told ya so' but....

This article above (and, more specifically, the law they're going to pass) is a manifestation of what you "tolerant" apologists have allowed to creep in here. You'd rather attack me for pointing out their true nature than using that same energy to work toward stopping their advances into our personal lives like this. Good gracious, can you imagine living in Jakarta and not being able to have a beer or a bottle of JD in the fridge?

The bottom line is that we are in a war -- even if we don't want to join or don't care or don't want to know -- because THEY HATE US (all civilized people, i.e., non-muslims) and see US as their enemy.

It's not like we have to start blowing up mosques, but just stand your fucking ground. No more prayer calls at our offices etc, etc, AND most of all no more fear and no more apologizing for uncivilized behavior.

#65672 - 30 Nov 07 03:38 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

12:54 am? I think the beer fairy had been visiting again.

#65673 - 30 Nov 07 04:58 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Ric can't hear you ... he is marching off to war! Or it could be that there is only 48 hours to go in the challenge and that posting is designed to get a reaction from the captain.

#65676 - 30 Nov 07 07:01 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Although Fing apparently dislikes Nazi's, there are occassions where they can be quite appealing!

#65679 - 30 Nov 07 07:45 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Dilli
12:54 am? I think the beer fairy had been visiting again.

NOT. As I've mentioned previously, I'm on "liver break" -- no alcohol of any sort for the past couple weeks. I've been extremely busy with a couple of projects and have been working 6am to midnight (hence the time) for the past 6 or 7 days.

#65680 - 30 Nov 07 07:46 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: chewwyUK
Ric can't hear you ... he is marching off to war! Or it could be that there is only 48 hours to go in the challenge and that posting is designed to get a reaction from the captain.

Or... more likely, I could be saying "I told ya so..."

#65681 - 30 Nov 07 07:48 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think the second version is in keeping with the current peace initiative!

#65683 - 30 Nov 07 08:46 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: Dilli
Article 41
[b]Those suffering from a disease that causes discomfort to the public, such as leprosy and mental illness, are banned from public spaces.

It's gonna be quiet out there. Tumbleweeds blowin' down the street...

Edited by Roy's hair (30 Nov 07 08:47)

#65689 - 30 Nov 07 10:54 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: Roy's Hair]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Laws like these are continually being 'proposed' but never get passed into law.

#65700 - 30 Nov 07 16:19 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: Piss Salon]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Piss Salon
Laws like these are continually being 'proposed' but never get passed into law.

or they get universally ignored, liked happened in Tangerang ... and even to some extent Aceh. i for one am not concerned. what officials say, and what actually happens, are quite different matters here in indonesia!

#65706 - 30 Nov 07 18:50 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Thanks for the segway.

Allows me to post one of my favourite Jak Post stories of all time.

The last four paragraphs, specifically.

Plain-Jane camouflage keeps prostitutes on street, despite crackdown
Saturday, March 11, 2006
Multa Fidrus, The Jakarta Post, Tangerang

Referred to as the world's oldest profession, some argue that prostitution will only stop when sex does.

The Tangerang municipal council strongly disagrees. It endorsed a bylaw on prostitution three months ago to shut down the sex industry.

For a time, streets like Jl. Otista, Jl. Gatot Subroto and Jl. Merdeka, which are habitually frequented by sex workers, were much quieter.

Predictably, the women returned, but they have become ghosts of their former selves.

On Wednesday evening, The Jakarta Post observed most of the sex workers had abandoned their skintight jeans, strapless tops and bright slashes of eye shadow. The idea is to pass unnoticed by public order officers.

'Surya', 25, and many other women were rounded up last month by pubic order officers for soliciting and fined Rp 500,000 (about US$53).

When the Post stopped to talk to her on Jl. Merdeka, Surya said the women working the street were aware there was a bylaw but had not seen a copy of it.

Like most sex workers, Suryanti is in it for the money. She knows the nightly patrols by public order officers will not stop.

"No law will stop me from doing what I do. So long as I have money, I can always pay the fine. My fate rests in God's hands,

"I can only earn money like this, what other options are open to me?" she said.

Following her arrest, the quick-witted Suryanti abruptly modified her look. Now she wears long, thick dresses and a smear of lipstick.

"I work in places where I can get out fast if I see a patrol car," she said.

The sex workers on Jl. Otista are also trying another tack. They use the fruit sellers scattered along the street as a cover.

"If officers come and the girls see no way out, they'll claim to be the wives of the fruit sellers," said Marwani, a motorcycle taxi driver who operates in the area.

Novi Ariyanti, a 23-year-old sex worker, who usually waits for clients at a bus shelter on Jl. Gatot Subroto in Cimone, has made a more drastic change to her appearance.

She now wears Muslim dress -- covering her neck, ears, hair, chest and body shape -- and a headscarf.

"With my new look, I am earning more money because men these days are more interested in women wearing jilbab (headscarves)," she said.

Novi charges clients between Rp 200,000 and Rp 500,000.

"C'mon honey, for you it's just Rp 150,000, and we'll go to hotel Anggrek, at Rp 75,000 a night it's cheaper than Hotel Merdeka," she said in a final effort to persuade the Post.

#65708 - 30 Nov 07 19:03 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Mind you, China is no walk in the park for streetwalkers either.

Cut and paste from today.

Chinese police are to stop arresting women who carry condoms, traditionally seen as evidence of prostitution, in an effort to help curb the spread of AIDS, state press said Friday.

Despite efforts to stop the practice, women in China are still being sent to labour camps for prostitution offences merely because they were carrying condoms when detained by police, the report said, quoting an expert.

"We have investigated many education-through-labour camps and we have found that for those sentenced for prostitution, the sole evidence was that they possessed condoms," Xinhua quoted the unnamed expert as telling an AIDS conference here.

The comment appeared to contradict remarks by Han Mengjie, a senior official at the cabinet-level AIDS prevention office, who was quoted by Xinhua as saying a campaign to end the practice was put in place as early as in 2001.

"In 2001, the propaganda bureau and the police issued a joint directive that as for the use of condoms, they would not be considered evidence," said Han.

"As far as I know, since we started our AIDS awareness campaign and consulted with the police ministry, police throughout China have stopped using condoms as evidence."

China is estimated to have about 700,000 HIV/AIDS cases, with tens of thousands of new infections each year.

An increasing number of infections is due to heterosexual contact with tourists like Dilli and not drug use, which was formerly the main channel of the disease here.

Police in China enjoy extraordinary powers to deal with minor crime, and are allowed to convict and sentence suspects to up to two years in labour camps, without trial.

#65718 - 01 Dec 07 05:28 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
An increasing number of infections is due to heterosexual contact with tourists like Dilli and not drug use, which was formerly the main channel of the disease here.

Is there another Dilli? This does not sound like the one I know?

#65740 - 01 Dec 07 10:22 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

There can be only one.

#65742 - 01 Dec 07 10:50 Re: Groups demand public order bylaw revision (That'll be me in jail then) [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

On a topical point!

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop