Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65554 - 27 Nov 07 11:03 Buying Laptop
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
Just wanna ask 'coz I know some Jakchatters has been living in Korea, should I buy my laptop here in Jak or wait to be Seoul? Where is it gonna be cheaper?

Thanks for those who will actually help for real, and the others, go ahead highjack the thread laugh as long as it's funny

#65556 - 27 Nov 07 11:10 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: Orang Kanada]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Korea has some good deals on Laptops but you need to check what the warranty situation is. I have had problems in the past where the warranty is only valid for the country you buy it in.

#65577 - 27 Nov 07 15:00 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: chewwyUK]
Wally Offline

Yes, exactly...it happened to me before....Most of the warranty only good for the country where you buy the electronics goods such as laptop.

#65591 - 27 Nov 07 18:33 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: Wally]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Forget about a warranty. Have you thought about buying a used laptop? I've seen decent-looking stores in Ambassador Mall and the Giant complex (across from Carrefours @ Pondok Indah) that have 2nd-hand machines on offer. The owners/clerks are usually geeks, too, which helps because they enjoy discussing technical advantages/problems with particular machines.

I was just looking into this idea and found you should look for a 3-year-old machine made for business use, with all the bells & whistles. These machines might have sold for $3000 new and now can be bought by clever purchasers for, say, $500.

Nothing is wrong with these machines, but as business laptops, they are "fully depreciated". Companies using them would be letting them go to upgrade.

Of course, precautions must be taken. Do a Google for "how to buy a used laptop" (with quotation marks) to find possible problems to look for.

Question: anyone know of a good 2nd-hand laptop store in Jakarta they've dealt with personally?

#65597 - 27 Nov 07 22:01 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: flingwing]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
You can get brand-spanking new Acers in Ratu Plaza starting from about $500. Great machines with Indonesian warranties and "all he bells and whistles" for a small additional fee. If you can beat that let me know.

#65609 - 28 Nov 07 08:30 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: Piss Salon]
flingwing Offline
Member++

I didn't know the cost of new Acers - never priced them. And I remember several years ago people in shops did start calling them good machines after years of being considered oriental junk. Thanks for the info.

#65623 - 28 Nov 07 13:29 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: flingwing]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Thanks for all the info guys. I will surely check Acers, I use to have one, been stolen. But I need some good cpu performance to record my music. Anyway, I'll check all the places aboves, including used ones. Thanks again.

#65624 - 28 Nov 07 13:33 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: Orang Kanada]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Better off with a desktop if you are running Cubase with VST applications I would have thought

#65626 - 28 Nov 07 13:40 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: Dilli]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

I already have a good desktop, but I will hit the road with a new band, so I need a laptop. My Acer with centrino 1.5 was enough to run nuendo and a bunch of vst plug-ins.

#65627 - 28 Nov 07 13:43 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: Orang Kanada]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

When do you kick off and does it by anychance include korea?

#65628 - 28 Nov 07 13:47 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: Dilli]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Or course. Goin' to Seoul in Febuary for 4 months. And then Kuala Lumpur for 3 months. And as we speak, we cross our fingers for Bangkok.

#65629 - 28 Nov 07 13:49 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: Orang Kanada]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Bloody hell, better get my guitar back from you soon!

Best of luck....

#65788 - 02 Dec 07 17:10 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: Orang Kanada]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Loc: Previously Wagin, Western Aust...
If you buy a lap with Vista installed make sure that it has at least 2 gb of RAM. I found out the hard way that Vista is next to useless with less than 2gb RAM.

If you have a choice buy one with Windows XP ..... it's much better than Vista.

#65799 - 03 Dec 07 10:56 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: terenjac]
sherlock Offline
Member+

Loc: Sumatra
I'm using vista now with 1gb Ram, works perfect. are you thinking about processor speed.

remember XP wasn't that popular when it first came in - give vista time.

#65800 - 03 Dec 07 11:42 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: sherlock]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Like about three years to fix the bugs. I waited until XP was voted "stable" before upgrading from Windows 98. Ignored "ME" and 2000 as they were never really runners when compared to 98.

I imagine I'll probably wait anothet two years before jumping on the Vista bandwagon.

#65805 - 03 Dec 07 13:45 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: Dilli]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

There's no way in the world I'm gonna use Vista. XP pro is what I need.

#65974 - 06 Dec 07 09:23 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: sherlock]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Quoting: sherlock
I'm using vista now with 1gb Ram, works perfect. are you thinking about processor speed.

remember XP wasn't that popular when it first came in - give vista time.

I wish it had been that easy for me when I bought my laptop with Vista installed. After putting up with a month of extremely slow performance and drop outs I increased the RAM from 1gb to 2 gb and the difference was absolutely amazing. That was all I changed ..... the CPU remained the same.

#65977 - 06 Dec 07 11:00 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: terenjac]
sherlock Offline
Member+

Loc: Sumatra
Seems this is a common issue, my friend had the same problem.

Maybe I got lucky, bought a new BenQ laptop of the shelf in Singapore, with Vista and 1gb, never had any troubles, it's been purring.

#66122 - 08 Dec 07 11:16 Re: Buying Laptop [Re: sherlock]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Quoting: sherlock
Seems this is a common issue, my friend had the same problem.

Maybe I got lucky, bought a new BenQ laptop of the shelf in Singapore, with Vista and 1gb, never had any troubles, it's been purring.

Maybe it's the combination of computer and Windows Vista ...... mine is a Dell Inspiron 6400. It's ok now but gave me heaps of problems when I first got it.

Moderator:  NetCop