Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65336 - 22 Nov 07 06:10 AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
From http://ayojakarta.com

The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to The Jakarta Post, the Point

My office mates have been talking about the launching of a new English supplement in Investor Daily newspaper titled The Jakarta Morning Observer over the past two days. Investor Daily subscribers will get it for free, and in the afternoon, subscribers of Suara Pembaruan newspaper will also be able to read the supplement. Itís still free, but what I heard is the supplement will transform into a full English daily newspaper and will go commercial in the upcoming months. The supplement basically features general news in the country. There is also rumor that the same group will also publish an English business daily newspaper.

Globe Media Group
Executive Chairman: Rizal Ramli
Publisher: Tanri Abeng
Editor in Chief: Z.K. Zaenuddin
Managing Editor: Kanisius Dursin
Editorial Staff: Yohannes GN, Camelia P.

It means the existing English daily newspapers, The Jakarta Post and the Point are going to have a new competitor.

#65337 - 22 Nov 07 06:21 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Lovely, more bad copy presumably

#65338 - 22 Nov 07 06:35 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

yep, guaranteed to be the same old shit from the same old hacks who call themselves journalists. owned by morons who think that sustaining a newspaper is a piece of cake.

#65339 - 22 Nov 07 06:41 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Does that mean we can expect contributions from some JakChat regulars?

#65340 - 22 Nov 07 06:57 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Dilli
Does that mean we can expect contributions from some JakChat regulars?

no, it means that certain JakChat regulars will gain some temporary employment turning the garbage they call "news" into something vaguely readable by english speakers.

#65341 - 22 Nov 07 07:09 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think we should have a competition where we nominate a word and they have to use in in an article.

First choice would be "colonic" to be used in an article about the busway!

#65344 - 22 Nov 07 08:00 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

[riccardo] Kuku and/or ken, did you gays recognize the names of people involved in the new English paper?
[riccardo] 2 ex-JP desk editors -- good ones
[riccardo] It's the same group of folks who tried to start Forbes Indonesia, but had to change to Globe magazine

[ Dilli] The Elves, with the help of The Jakarta Post Editorial staff raised a magical barrier between the two worlds to prevent the non-magical creatures from the Globe passing through into print

[kenyeung] heh! the stories that could be told about the competence and professionalism of some of them folk at the succinctly titled The Jakarta Morning Observer

#65352 - 22 Nov 07 08:33 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
owned by morons who think that sustaining a newspaper is a piece of cake.

You mean Tanri Abeng will find it harder to flog badly written crap than to sell Bir Bintang?

#65353 - 22 Nov 07 08:36 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

#65354 - 22 Nov 07 08:38 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: kenyeung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Mr Yohanes and Mr Kanis are ex JP.

#65578 - 27 Nov 07 15:07 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Wally Offline

Loc: Jakarta
The Jakarta Morning Observer...hmmm....the name reminds me of the first Indonesia's English daily, The Observer.

#65580 - 27 Nov 07 16:19 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Wally]
Pooh Bah

The Indonesian Observer no less.

#65581 - 27 Nov 07 16:34 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pujangga

Let's not forget The Indonesia Times, which was free at McDonald's outlets in 1997 after Habibie bought it and then quickly jettisoned when krismon hit.

And who could possibly forget the titillating but tragically short-lived Jakarta Daily Sport? Phwoooar! Made Indcoup's Indobabes look like a Sunday School bible blog by comparison.

#68186 - 15 Jan 08 20:02 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: kenyeung]
Geoman Offline

Loc: Singapore
Anyone hear anything new on this, like when it will be launched?

#68187 - 15 Jan 08 20:06 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Geoman]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Don't hold ya breath son.

#68188 - 15 Jan 08 20:26 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Launched! Sunk already methinks!

#68193 - 15 Jan 08 23:18 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Dilli]
sherlock Offline
Member+

Loc: Sumatra
So what's the deal with JP....I only get it every now and then but why has it go such a bad name?

#68202 - 16 Jan 08 06:19 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: sherlock]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Edited by chewwyUK (16 Jan 08 06:22)
Edit Reason: found out that if you type "the jakarta post' it creates an automatic link

#68203 - 16 Jan 08 06:51 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: chewwyUK]
Pooh Bah

whoopee.

#68229 - 16 Jan 08 18:17 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pujangga

Only Geoman and Mother Bruce have worked at the Post, the Observer and The Indonesia Times. But neither of them at the Point - try them Geoman, apparently they're short-staffed in the bule department.

#68231 - 16 Jan 08 18:37 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: kenyeung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Let us not forget the funny little chap who was in charge of the vegetarian recipes section for a while.

#68270 - 17 Jan 08 09:42 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Oldman Offline
Member++

The more the better. Let them compete. And the choice is ours. That simple, huh!

#68277 - 17 Jan 08 11:01 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Oldman]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Chunktastic

Attachments
tufu_sesame.jpg

#68303 - 17 Jan 08 14:59 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
That IS a nice idea RH - I would never have thought of sprinkling with sesame seeds, but then I would never have thought about adding tempe and tahu to chili for vegetarian guests.

#68309 - 17 Jan 08 16:23 Re: AYO/The Jakarta Morning Observer, new competitor to the Jakarta Post, the Point [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Which reminds me! I found this...

Quote:
And while I did not try the food last Saturday night when I was there, it sure looked appetizing. The Chicken Shashlik photo in particular made me salivate something fierce, but I needed to conserve stomach space to adjudicate upon as many liquid refreshments as inhumanly possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop