Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65305 - 21 Nov 07 07:19 JP/Govt to use local parts for planes
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Govt to use local parts for planes

JAKARTA: The government is considering the use of locally-made airplane parts which will be regulated through a governmental regulation on design organization approval, Transportation Minister Jusman Syafii Djamal said Monday.

"Indonesia is capable of designing an aircraft and its parts," Jusman said in a written speech read by Nyoman Suanda Santra, secretary of the air transportation directorate-general at the transportation ministry.

Jusman said most national carriers still used foreign-made parts for their airplanes, despite the fact it took longer and was more costly.

He also said the government would renew Minister Regulation No.90/1993 on certification procedures for products and parts by allowing the private sector to be involved in designing aircraft and aircraft parts.

Meanwhile, flag-carrier Garuda Indonesia and private airline Lion Air welcomed the plan to cut operational costs.

"The use of local parts in Airbus and Boeing cabins could cut costs by up to 50 percent," said Richard Budihadianto, the president and CEO of Garuda Maintenance Facility AeroAsia. -- JP

#65306 - 21 Nov 07 07:20 Re: JP/Govt to use local parts for planes [Re: KuKuKaChu]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
[ Dilli] Brilliant! In todays JP the government has approved the use of Indonesian manufactured aircraft parts to allow further cost cutting by Indonesian airlines.
[ Dilli] Only a few days ago they stated they were firmly in favour of improving safety standards. Hmm. Something wrong here!

[KuKuKaChu] what will they think of next?

[ Dilli] Understanding the Indonesian view of QA/QC standards and their relevance to the manufacturing process I wait with bated breath to see which aircraft goes down first due to "knock off parts"

[ Dilli] I presume they will be buying Rolls Royce RB-211 Rotors in Mangga Dua mall
[ Dilli] I am also very much aware of the potential pitfalls in reverse engineering. This decision is, to say the least, very, very, scary!
[ Dilli] Flight recorders which will not divulge any information until bribed, thats what will happen next!

[KuKuKaChu] stop giving them ideas, dill!@
[KuKuKaChu] this is a public forum! they are taking notes!

[ Dilli] I honestly do not believe what they are thinking!
[ Dilli] I know how hard it is to meet high standards in this country and the level off policing the manufacturing process requires is huge. I can see disasters on the horizon

#65324 - 21 Nov 07 15:45 Re: JP/Govt to use local parts for planes [Re: KuKuKaChu]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
I don't think using locally made parts would even be legally possible. Firstly, the aircraft would no longer be using OEM-approved parts so the aircraft would no longer be certified by ICAO (and, by default, Indonesia's DGAC) standards. With that, these "klas kerupuk" aircraft might not be allowed to land at foreign airports. For domestic use, obviously, they can do what they want - like crash-land airplanes in Yogjakarta at twice their normal approach speeds.

Also, the resale value of any aircraft using non-approved parts would be nil. You could cut the tops off them and use them for planters along Jl. Sudirman when you wanted to get rid of them.

The scary thing is that a transportation minister would say something like that without explaining how it could be done. At the very least he should state that he's checked with DGAC and they say it's possible.

I guess that's why they call it the "developing world"

#65329 - 21 Nov 07 19:06 Re: JP/Govt to use local parts for planes [Re: flingwing]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Hence my incredulism on the original post! Fuckwits, all off them!

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop