Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65097 - 15 Nov 07 15:31 Wired in Singapore
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
As part of Singapore’s "Intelligent Nation 2015" plan, there are now more than 7,200 Wi-Fi hotspots across the island so computer/cellphone users can stay connected wherever they are. Last month, 12 popular bus routes serving Ang Mo Kio, Toa Payoh, Bukit Timah, Orchard Road and Jurong as well as several bus interchanges were also added to the growing hotspot list, with more to join the network next year.

ALSO... The wireless service is currently provided free of charge, is available to tourists and signing up is very easy. All you need to do is log on at www.ida.gov.sg and sign up with one of these local providers: iCell, Singtel or QMax. There’s no protracted waiting time to deal with either; users will receive passwords via SMS immediately.

You don't even need a Singapore-based SIM card. When I arrived at the airport with my phone (RI-based SIM card) in my pocket, I got an SMS from SING TEL explaining it and giving me a free # to call for the password.

#65153 - 16 Nov 07 21:53 Re: Wired in Singapore [Re: riccardo]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
cool

#65158 - 17 Nov 07 09:43 Re: Wired in Singapore [Re: Shesca]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
You did not mention that you pay Indo International Dial Up rates

#65171 - 17 Nov 07 20:22 Re: Wired in Singapore [Re: Dilli]
hootie Offline

Loc: singapore
its just for that one sms

the benefit of this service is that with the wifi activated on your laptop, you basically get free internet (almost) anywhere in singapore

hootie

#65173 - 18 Nov 07 05:26 Re: Wired in Singapore [Re: hootie]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Thanks Hootie, I know that, I was just being pedantic...

Moderator:  NetCop