Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64615 - 07 Nov 07 16:03 Stella Awards
Scotty Offline

Loc: S.E.A.
Stupid people shouldn't breed is my favourite way of endorsing the Darwin Awards. However, what chance do you have when the laws of the country (the USA) allow for the following:

The "Stella Awards" are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's. That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous, ridiculous and successful lawsuits in the United States.

Here are this year's winners:

5th Place (tie):
Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict because the misbehaving toddler was Ms.Robertson's son.

5th Place (tie):
19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbour ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr.Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal the hubcaps.

5th Place (tie):
Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr.Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed, to the tune of $500,000.

4th Place:
Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr.Williams who had climbed over the fence into the yard and was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

3rd Place:
A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms.Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

2nd Place:
Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms.Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

1st Place:
This year's runaway winner was Mrs.Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mrs.Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, having driven onto the freeway she set the cruise control at 70mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go into the back & make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mrs.Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising her in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded her $1,750,000 plus a new motor-home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons around.

#64628 - 07 Nov 07 18:12 Re: Stella Awards [Re: Scotty]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
Incredible how irresponsible humans in developed nations become over time - even for their own actions. Of course, this inevitably leads to those nations' own destruction.

As a follow-on to those ridiculous court settlements, I just found this:

The UK's top 10 most ridiculous British laws were listed as:
# 1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)

# 2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down (7%)

# 3. It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (6%)

# 4. Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned (5%)

# 5. If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter (4%)

# 6. In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (4%)

# 7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen (3.5%)

# 8. It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)

# 9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour (3%)

# 10. It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%)

Other bizarre foreign laws voted by those polled included:
(Note - you will, if you've a brain in your head, pay special attention to the one mentioning Indonesia)
* In Ohio, it is illegal to get a fish drunk (9%)

* In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation (8%)

* A male doctor in Bahrain can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror (7%)

* In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm (6%)

* It is illegal to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle in Alabama (6%)

* In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on a Sunday could be jailed (6%)

* Women in Vermont must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth (6%)

* In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except during funerals or hospital visits (5%)

* In France, it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon (4%)

If you don't believe me, or want to read the whole story yourself, go to: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7081038.stm>.

News at eleven [g]

#64629 - 07 Nov 07 18:31 Re: Stella Awards [Re: flingwing]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Of course that's the main reason I can't live in Alabama. One of my hobbies that I do on a daily basis is drive while blindfolded.

#64633 - 07 Nov 07 19:35 Re: Stella Awards [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I would lose my head at least three times a day, though my girlfriend ... ummmm ... wife ... is suddently insisting we move to Switzerland.

#64639 - 07 Nov 07 20:21 Re: Stella Awards [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Girl gets detention for hugging friends
By Georgina Gustin
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/06/2007

MASCOUTAH — A 13-year-old junior high school student was given two days of detention after school officials spotted her hugging friends after school last Friday.
Megan Coulter, an eighth-grade student at Mascoutah Middle School, was hugging her friends goodbye after school Friday when vice principal, Randy Blakely, saw her and told her she would receive two after-school detentions.

Blakely had previously warned Coulter that she was in violation of the school's policy on public displays of affection after she was seen hugging a student at a football game.

The school's policy says that “displays of affection should not occur on the campus at any time.”

Coulter's mother, Melissa Coulter, says she has requested to speak with the School Board at its next meeting, and is mystified about the punishment leveled at her daughter.

Mascoutah Superintendent Sam McGowen said today that the district's policy helps prevent misunderstandings and unwelcome expressions of affection.

#64641 - 07 Nov 07 20:25 Re: Stella Awards [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Related.

Student Disciplined for Hugging Friend Who Lost Parent.

Prattville Junior High School

The debate of public displays of affection in school is hitting home in Alabama. The mother of a student in Autauga County says her daughter was disciplined for simply hugging a friend.

"When I went through school, I hugged my friends," said Lea Muir. Her daughter was given detention Monday at Prattville Junior High School. She called it an overreaction.

"It's a little bit extreme, I think."

But according the Autauga County School System's code of conduct, "inappropriate public displays of affection, including but not limited to embracing and kissing" are not allowed.

And Autauga County isn't the only one. Just last week, a school in Illinois disciplined a student for the very same thing. And a South Dakota student got in trouble for holding hands with a friend.

"It was made to be something ugly and it wasn't," Muir said.

She says the hug wasn't meant to be sexual. She says her daughter was consoling a male friend who recently lost a parent.

"What's it going to come to next?," she asked. "You can't high five or touch anybody? You can't brush by someone in the hallway?"

Muir says her daughter served out her punishment and she doesn't plan to take any legal action. But she encourages the school system to reevaluate its policy.

WSFA 12 News checked with other local school systems and found a more leeway in their codes of conduct. In Montgomery and Elmore counties, for example, touching must be of a sexual nature to be considered inappropriate.

Autauga County school officials didn't agree to an on-camera interview, but told WSFA 12 News, they were simply following the rules.

In 1999, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled schools could be held liable by ignoring claims of sexual harassment. Some say the ruling puts schools between a rock and a hard place. By not identifying all suspect behavior, they risk liability. But when they do, they often hear complaints from parents.

Moderator:  NetCop