Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64550 - 07 Nov 07 07:18 What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ???
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I am really hoping we get some good responses on this one as I never know what to do with people who visit Jakarta. With the parents turning up in December and other family due to drop by and say hello for a few days I can't think of any Jakarta attractions.

#64551 - 07 Nov 07 07:23 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Club 1001 ?

#64552 - 07 Nov 07 07:23 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Perhaps Hotel Buffets on a Sunday ... I know the four seasons does a slap up event for around 250 pp for all you can eat and drink which is great fun but always leaves me a little bloated (must be that last wafer then mint that does it!)

Taken from Street Directory ...

The café's signature Sunday Brunch is available from 11am to 3pm, and is very often packed. Offering a sumptuous variety of dishes from 13 live cooking stations priced at Rp.215.000++ with free flow juices and Rp.280.000++ with free flow red, white and sparkling wines, it's great value for money and popular with the expat crowd.

#64553 - 07 Nov 07 07:24 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Not a place I would take the family Dilli ...

#64554 - 07 Nov 07 07:25 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Sorry, did not read the whole message!

#64555 - 07 Nov 07 07:30 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
jakarta is not really a place for casual visitors or tourists.

the only places i know that can be classified as "attractions" are Taman Mini Indah Indonesia, the zoo, and the Ancol park.

alas, i have been to none of these places, despite all the years i've lived here!

#64556 - 07 Nov 07 07:40 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Ancol - I am unsure how interested anybody from Overseas is going to be in Ancol park as every time I go there it reminds me of an amusement park that was popular 20 years ago but has since seen revenue go down causing the management to cut back on maintaining the facility!

#64559 - 07 Nov 07 08:06 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Intercontinental buffet, Grand Melia Buffet, Marriott Buffet - all top notch. Or have a curry in Pappas

#64560 - 07 Nov 07 08:07 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
Sea World? Museums? I heard the new building of National Museum is better than the old one. Haven't check it out though. Also, you can take them to the malls! We have loads here in Jakarta!!!

#64561 - 07 Nov 07 08:08 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Roy's Hair]
Just Offline
Member+++

Shangrila buffet! Then you can have few drinks at Bats! grin

#64562 - 07 Nov 07 08:08 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Roy's Hair]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Roy's hair
Or have a curry in Pappas

no. don't do that.

for an "authentic" jakarta eating experience, try the pecel lele (catfish) warung next door to pappas.

#64564 - 07 Nov 07 08:13 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
Or have a curry in Pappas

no. don't do that.

for an "authentic" jakarta eating experience, try the pecel lele (catfish) warung next door to pappas.

well it certainly smells of fish in there. And it's full of bufties. I'm scared Dad.

#64565 - 07 Nov 07 08:18 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Roy's Hair]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Its difficult isnt it because when you compare sea world Ancol to say Sydney .. Sydney wins hands down.

Museum .... Can anybody tell me of a good museum in Jakarta?? The ones I have been to were a let down to say the least

#64567 - 07 Nov 07 08:20 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

I took my Mum down to Taman Mini, that's ya best bet

#64570 - 07 Nov 07 08:28 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Roy's Hair]
Just Offline
Member+++

Try Museum Fatahillah in Kota and have dinner at Batavia Cafe! That's quite historical, I suppose!

Best thing to do here in Jakarta? Maybe go to a spa! Relaxing your muscle and brain from the horrible experience of the traffic! grin

Edited by Just (07 Nov 07 08:31)

#64572 - 07 Nov 07 08:34 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Just]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Sixth Floor?

#64576 - 07 Nov 07 08:38 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Dilli
Sixth Floor?

You filthy beast

#64579 - 07 Nov 07 08:43 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

You filthy beast

I've been studying!

#64586 - 07 Nov 07 09:39 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Just]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Just
Try Museum Fatahillah in Kota and have dinner at Batavia Cafe! That's quite historical, I suppose!

Best thing to do here in Jakarta? Maybe go to a spa! Relaxing your muscle and brain from the horrible experience of the traffic! grin

I agree with JUST on that. I still think Batavia Cafe is the best place in town, far better than any of these new-fangled "modern" joints. If it's late December, you can get their out-of-this-world Christmas Dinner (Brit-style with the ham and cranberry and Xmas pudding with flaming Remy cognac and fresh hot cream.)

Another thing, as mentioned, is to go to one of the hotels for brunch and then do a spa at the same hotel. InterCon has both as I'm sure most do. Also InterCon not only has the "regular" brunch at the Java Cafe, but upstairs at SCUSA Italian they have one that is about 50k more and a thousand times better in terms of quality. They've recently brought in a Michelin-Starred Italian chef!!

#64587 - 07 Nov 07 10:09 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Alternatively, take them for the ultimate Haute Cuisine experience at a Battas tribal dining restaurant where they themselves become the menu

The code of the Battas of Sumatra condemns to be eaten alive those guilty of adultery, those who commit theft at night, prisoners of war, those who treacherously attack the inhabitants of a house, or a lonely man.

The execution takes place without delay, in the presence of the whole population. In cases of adultery, one last formality is necessary: the relatives of the criminals must be present at the carrying out of the sentence. The husband, the wife, or the persons most directly offended, have the right to retain the ears of the condemned for themselves. Then, each according to his rank chooses his fragment, and the chief judge cuts off the head and hangs it like a trophy at the door of his hut.

The brain, to which they attribute magical properties, is preserved in a gourd. The intestines are not devoured, but the soles of the feet, and the heart, cooked with rice and salt, are regarded as a delicious dish.

The flesh is always eaten raw, or grilled at the place of punishment, and the use of palm wine and other strong liquors is strongly interdicted at these judicial feasts, where the men alone have the right to be present.

Sometimes also they collect the blood in bamboo stems. In defiance of the law, the women use a thousand subterfuges, and employ all their seductions, in order to share in this secret and horrible feast.

Yummy

#64588 - 07 Nov 07 10:18 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Down to Sunda Kelapa harbour with a stop-off at Cafe Batavia on the way back.

Slum tours?

Definitely get the mother a spa treatment. A day-spa would be even better. Get her out of your hair while you and the old man hit 1001.

#64589 - 07 Nov 07 10:23 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: Piss Salon]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

is there anywhere in jakarta that does a nice english style afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches and scones?

#64590 - 07 Nov 07 10:25 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Indonesia has some great artists .. does anybody know of a good gallery that houses a diverse Indonesian collection?

#64591 - 07 Nov 07 10:43 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Mampang Nick! Great selection of con artists, or alternatively, for a higher class of "artist" try any government department

#64592 - 07 Nov 07 10:56 Re: What to do with Visitors in Jakarta ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: chewwyUK
is there anywhere in jakarta that does a nice english style afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches and scones?

Here are a few that either have done or are still doing a proper English-style afternoon tea. Don't know exactly what's included and can't vouch for the quality myself, as I've only read (edited) about them.

--The Dharmawangsa Hotel's "Tea Lounge" or "The Library" sounds like your best bet for quality and proximity. I think you could probably walk from your house.

--The Grand Hyatt's "Fountain Lounge" does a "High Tea Buffet" with scones.

--The Cafe Batavia should still have one.

--The GrandKemang hotel also does (or used to do) one, but I think you'd find they cut corners on quality. You'll pay the same price but instead of butter they'll use Blue Band, for example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop