Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64442 - 05 Nov 07 05:52 A first perhaps in Indonesia
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Despite protests in court, tree hugging and voices offering alternative routes, the creation of a busway corridor through Metro Pondok Indah began yesterday with the felling of the 30 year old tree’s due to start today.

What’s the first, it’s the speed at which this happened. Generally, if a proposed tollroad route, alternative canal to prevent flooding or any other contentious plan is being disputed the courts will delay construction for what may appear as forever.

Not so the busway. Seems Fuzzy Bozo and his 100 day blitzkrieg have started, much to the ire of the oligarchs of Pondok Indah whose already crowded roads are to be reduced by two lanes and are already suffering from increased traffic due to Jakartan’s refusing to pay the increased toll fee’s which forces drivers onto the smaller arterial routes.

Seems to me the only good thing here is that the route to the pub is not affected. Pity I’m not around to see and witness the “Sunset Strip” like palm tree’s being removed. I’m sure the campaigners are not aware this work has already started……

#64443 - 05 Nov 07 06:12 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
there's a picture of the destruction and doomed trees on the front page on Kompas this morning.

#64444 - 05 Nov 07 06:15 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think these were the first few trees at the junction where metro Pondik Indah meets the toll road.Only a few tree's were there, the majority are further up as you head towards PI Mall.

There will be much wailing and gnashing off teeth when they open the paper this morning.

#64446 - 05 Nov 07 06:59 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
Do you know what is the overall route of this busway corridor (VIII?)going to be?

I read it includes, besides Jalan PI Metro, parts of Sumatapang (beside the toll road), into Cilandak, and the opposite direction wasn't clear.

Is there a web site with these corridors mapped? I couldn't find one.

#64447 - 05 Nov 07 07:03 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: flingwing]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Somebody posted one a while back, I'll see if I can find it!

#64448 - 05 Nov 07 07:17 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

This same pondok indah line goes all the way north up JL. kebayoran lama and into JL. Panjang, across the toll road (over the Kebon Jeruk toll gate) and up to Daan Mogot to meet up with the Daan Mogot-Harmoni Busway route. It goes near my house too and they started construction about 2 weeks ago.

The last 2 weeks have been traffic hell. Prevented me from getting to Piss Salon's party. The good news is, once it's done, I can hop on the damn thing and get to de hooi in 15 minutes.

#64449 - 05 Nov 07 07:20 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

While there is nothing for me to travel to in the opposite direction

#64451 - 05 Nov 07 07:42 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

But, you could use it to get to Harmoni (near Monas and Okusi mansions) in less than 45 minutes at a cost of less then 50 cents at the height of rush hour. The problem is you'd have to stand the whole time being bumped and elbowed and ogled by pembantus and kids and....

#64452 - 05 Nov 07 07:44 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

What would be good is if they offered more comfortable "business class" type seating in a separate section for people willing to pay double the fare.

#64453 - 05 Nov 07 08:12 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Elitist!

If I were to travel by bus (and in three years - note, I first arrived in Indonesia three years ago today - I have never been on a bus) I think I would take my chances with with the masses.

If I did venture onto a TransJakarta bus I would make sure my wallet, watch, phone and virginity were all secured so no-one could steal them!

#64454 - 05 Nov 07 08:31 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

travelling 'executive' class always makes you a target. executive trains in indonesia are full of professional thieves paying full fare.

#64456 - 05 Nov 07 08:41 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Quoting: Dilli
. . . I would make sure my wallet, watch, phone and virginity were all secured so no-one could steal them!

I think that collection of gear has sometimes been referred to as "spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch".

#64458 - 05 Nov 07 08:54 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: flingwing]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Yes, I seem to remember older gentlemen making that remark!

#64483 - 05 Nov 07 17:10 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
Quoting: Dilli
Somebody posted one a while back, I'll see if I can find it!

#64486 - 05 Nov 07 19:10 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Just]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Thanks, Just. The schematic looks as good as the London Underground's .

However, I can't read the words on the drawings. I copied a map to disk, put it in a paint program, and then increased its size and sharpened it. I still can't read the words for the bus stops.

Have you got a web site address (URL) for those drawings? If so, we could take a look at the originals. Also, I would still be interested in seeing a Jakarta map with the bus routes superimposed on it.

Thanks.

#64487 - 05 Nov 07 19:34 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: flingwing]
Pooh Bah

you won't be able to superimpose the schematic onto a jakarta map, because it's a schematic! it won't match. if it was not schematic, it would look a total, unreadable mess!

nonetheless, i too would like a clearer picture ... the place labels are unreadable.

#64489 - 05 Nov 07 20:17 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: flingwing]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Quoting: flingwing
Also, I would still be interested in seeing a Jakarta map with the bus routes superimposed on it.

[Said very edifyingly] I say, I know, old bean. I got my Boy Scout Map Reading Merit Badge last week at 14 grin I want to see the bus routes superimposed on a map, not the schematic.

This Pondok Indah busway must really be something. I've checked with a few people and they say first hand, like Riccardo, that the traffic around Pondok Indah is screwed forever. That photo in Kompas tells a lot.

And I'll tell you for free whom I bet must be having conniption fits for this storm-trooper type construction project: the residents around Pondok Metro Jaya and the managers and shopowners of Pondok Indah Mall. Can you imagine the income they are going to loose in the next (what?) two or three months until this project is completed?

Class-action suit, anyone? smirk

#64490 - 05 Nov 07 20:26 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: flingwing]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: flingwing
Class-action suit, anyone? smirk

have you *ever* heard of a class action suit of any sort succeeding in indonesia? i can't recall any.

#64491 - 06 Nov 07 05:51 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

What was crazy about this "class action" case was I think they proceeded with the work before the case was heard.(I think)

Update, as of this morning they have not made any further progress than what I witnessed yesterday morning. I think work may have been suspended.

#64492 - 06 Nov 07 05:53 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

headline in today's Kompas: "Losses from traffic jams reaches Rp 43 trillion. Fuzzy Bozo: the Busway Program will be evaluated"

#64493 - 06 Nov 07 05:58 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Two easy way to solve the problem.

1)
Go back to the Toll Fee's the way they were. let people use the Toll for short distances and reasonable prices and this will alieviate the macet on the arterial roads

2)
Abolish the new busway plans. All that is happening is that the arterial roads are being reduced to two lanes for motorists.

#64506 - 06 Nov 07 09:17 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Ya, quite . This busway thing has got way out of hand now. It'd be alright if car drivers were using it but alas it seems busway passengers would be using buses anyway.....And the busways are all knackered already, no doubt due to kickbacks.

#64507 - 06 Nov 07 09:19 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

And the smelly polyester shirts

#64508 - 06 Nov 07 09:24 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
makes the eyes water sometimes. Bluebird drivers can be just as whiffy though;

#64511 - 06 Nov 07 09:39 Re: A first perhaps in Indonesia [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Off subject, Ken mentioned Lambert can sing, can this be true?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop