Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64326 - 02 Nov 07 10:05 Indonesia's seismic rumbling...
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," where continental plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.

The archipelago nation is home to 129 active volcanoes, four of which are ominously rumbling at the moment.

Dozens of medium to massive earthquakes have hit in the last couple of months, most notably in the ocean off of Bengkulu.

--------------------
Mt. Kelud
Hundreds of minor tremors shook Mt. Kelud on Indonesia's Java island Thursday, a scientist said, as police and troops stepped up evacuation efforts amid intensified fears of an eruption.

The tremors, breaking days of calm, showed pressure inside Mount Kelud was rising, increasing the chance of an eruption.
He said, "Kelud is entering its critical phase."

Another scientist, Mohammad Hendrasto, warned that the intense pressure in Kelud could result in the most "horrifying" eruption in the history of the volcano. Another scientist, Mohammad Hendrasto, warned that the intense pressure in Kelud could result in the most "horrifying" eruption in the history of the volcano.

Thousands of people could face risk from volcanic lahar on Indonesia's Java island as dams built to collect the material on the slopes could possibly begin to overflow, officials warned on Thursday.

-------------------------------
Mt. Guntur
The amount of lahar, a mix of mud and lava, from Mount Guntur in West Java has swelled after heavy rains and as locals continued to mine sand and stones

------------------------------
Krakatau
Anak Krakatau, the offspring of infamous Krakatau off Sumatra island, has been disgorging smoke and ash since October 23 and continued to do so at 10-minute intervals on Thursday, said Cahyo, a volcanologist monitoring the peak.

"It spews smoke, ash and rock but there is no lava release," he said.

Visitors have been warned to stay a safe distance away.

----------------------------
Mt. Soputan
Meanwhile, Mount Soputan, located on the island of Sulawesi, began spewing smoke and lava last week, said a local vulcanologist.

#64329 - 02 Nov 07 10:24 Re: Indonesia's seismic rumbling... [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I too have a "ring of fire" after a few pints and a ruby

#64330 - 02 Nov 07 10:25 Re: Indonesia's seismic rumbling... [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Swanney has "Ring of Fire" played in EP everytime he walks in!

#64345 - 02 Nov 07 12:34 Re: Indonesia's seismic rumbling... [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Indonesia doesn't sit on the Pacific Ring of fire, does it?

#64347 - 02 Nov 07 12:38 Re: Indonesia's seismic rumbling... [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Wikipedia

The Alpide belt is a mountain range which extends along the southern margin of Eurasia. Stretching from Java to Sumatra through the Himalayas, the Mediterranean, and out into the Atlantic, it includes the Alps, the Carpathians, the mountains of Asia Minor and Iran, the Hindu Kush, the Himalayas, and the mountains of Southeast Asia. It is the second most seismic region (5-6% of earthquakes and 17% of the world's largest earthquakes) in the world. The Pacific Ring of Fire is the most seismic region.

The Alpide belt is being created by ongoing plate tectonics, namely the process of collision between the northward-moving African, Arabian and Indian plates and the Eurasian plate.

Indonesia lies between the Pacific Ring of Fire along the northeastern islands adjacent to and including New Guinea and the Alpide belt along the south and west from Sumatra, Java, Bali, Flores, and Timor. The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake just off the coast of Sumatra was located within the Alpide belt. [citation needed]

#64355 - 02 Nov 07 14:54 Re: Indonesia's seismic rumbling... [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I can just hear piss when the lava starts flowing up his elevator shaft in his apartment block, "Relax honey, we're not on the ring of fire..."

#64356 - 02 Nov 07 15:04 Re: Indonesia's seismic rumbling... [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
He's probably get her nekkid and shoot photographs to be sold via mobile phone to the English Press

Moderator:  NetCop