Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64085 - 30 Oct 07 09:17 Sense of crises?
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Has this fool no sense of crises, or at least any shame. While his country continues to languish in poverty and is plagued with corruption, our dear leader has time to write and record an album. What a jerk.

Any guesses what the songs are called?

'To all the rupiah I've love before'

Cut and paste:

Indonesian president on song

Indonesia's president has launched an album entitled My Longing For You containing a standard mix of love ballads and songs about friendship, religion and national pride.

Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who leads the world's largest Muslim nation, wrote the 10 tracks in the album which was released on Sunday.

The album features patriotic tunes and gratitude to God. And like many Indonesians, Yudhoyono loves music.

The president said he used long-haul flights to write the lyrics, although song-writing is not part of the job description and is often difficult to fit into the busy presidential schedule.

Yudhoyono, being a former general, also comes from a military that has a strong musical tradition.

"Presidents have all kind of hobbies, there are presidents who like to play saxophone, the prime minister of New Zealand likes to climb mountains, there are presidents who like fishing, my hobby is music," he said.

He wrote one of the songs in the album while returning home from the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation summit in Sydney, Australia, in September.

Four other numbers were performed during last Ramadan's breaking-the-fast gathering at Yudhoyono's private residence in Cikeas, West Java.

The songs were recorded by noted Indonesian singers including Ebiet G Ade, Bimbo, Widhy AB Three and Andien.

Andi Mallarangeng, a presidential spokesman, said composing songs was Yudhoyono's "way of refreshing, relaxing everywhere he goes during his busy schedule".

The president is not the first former military officer and politician to make a foray into the music industry.

General Wiranto, the one-time armed forces chief, had also released an album during his failed presidential campaign.

#64086 - 30 Oct 07 09:22 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: Piss Salon]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
jelas dia kurang kerjaan ...

recall also he also had time during his presidency to do a PhD.

recently also, UGM awarded a doctorate to a provincial governor for some completely inane, indulgent topic. clearly PhDs can be done in your spare time in Indonesia.

#64091 - 30 Oct 07 09:40 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Nothing like releasing an album of patriotic tunes and gratitude to God to feed the masses, education the children and provide basic health care

#64096 - 30 Oct 07 09:49 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
This just about puts the seal on his reputation as a 24 carat iron clad cahnt. I remember Wiranto's album with such tracks as "Timor, My East Timor". I'm sure the pop kids won't be climbing over the Kanye CDs down at Aquarius to get to SBY's karaoke abortion though.

#64100 - 30 Oct 07 10:32 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Well I'm going to get a copy even if no one else is.

#64101 - 30 Oct 07 13:06 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
jelas dia kurang kerjaan ...

recall also he also had time during his presidency to do a PhD.

I hope at your age that was just a typo and not the onset of Alzheimer's...

He actually finished it during the campaign period in mid-2004 and apparently put quite a bit of actual effort into it. It was from the Bogor Ag. Institute and he did it on something like agribusiness for small farmers.

#64102 - 30 Oct 07 13:11 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
yes, it all comes back to me now ... so it seems he spent his entire time whilst a minister in megabokong's government working on his PhD thesis. don't indonesian ministers have much better things to do with their time?

in SBY's case, i do not question the quality of the thesis; only the fact that as a minister of the state he should have been using every waking minute in the service of the country.

#64105 - 30 Oct 07 16:41 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
yes, it all comes back to me now ... so it seems he spent his entire time whilst a minister in megabokong's government working on his PhD thesis. don't indonesian ministers have much better things to do with their time?

in SBY's case, i do not question the quality of the thesis; only the fact that as a minister of the state he should have been using every waking minute in the service of the country.

Tell Bush and Blair that - I don't notice them giving up their holidays while people die on their account.

#64115 - 30 Oct 07 18:59 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Wasn't he coordinating minister for security during the Bali bombing. Asleep at the wheel, or rather getting a fake degree, while terrorists organized and struck.

#64119 - 30 Oct 07 19:14 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

Tell Bush and Blair that - I don't notice them giving up their holidays while people die on their account.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#64120 - 30 Oct 07 19:15 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: Piss Salon]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quoting: Piss Salon
Wasn't he coordinating minister for security during the Bali bombing. Asleep at the wheel, or rather getting a fake degree, while terrorists organized and struck.

Why still asking bout this???? Is clearly enough.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#64126 - 31 Oct 07 02:56 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: Macan Tutul]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
".. so it seems he spent his entire time whilst a minister in megabokong's government working on his PhD thesis. don't indonesian ministers have much better things to do with their time?"

the degree is real, it's just that he paid a junior underling to write his thesis instead...

#64169 - 31 Oct 07 09:46 Re: Sense of crises? [Re: naga]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Some of these ministers would have trouble with CSE Woodwork

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop