Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63930 - 27 Oct 07 12:41 Real FOOTBALL in UK
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
European first: The NFL kicks off in London

London - The NFL abroad. That's the story in the land of London fog on Sunday, when the Miami Dolphins host the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium, in the first NFL regular season game ever played outside the Americas. When the tickets went on sale last February, some 88,000 were sold in 72 hours.

For the NFL's brand-name brain trust, England and its environs are the next logical phase of globalization. They see the oblong American pigskin as a rising symbol of global sports, in an age of live media everything. Click on Tom Brady, from Bristol. Join a virtual tailgate, from Wales. Look out Germany and Spain. Even China seriously considered an exhibition last August.

"Live sport, and great live sport, is one of the unifying things people want right now," argued Mark Waller, head of the NFL's international division in New York. "We don't have an English sports world or an American sports world. My kids navigate every sport on the Internet."

Here, the blokes don't play American football. But they do watch it, party, and pub with it, and in serious enough numbers to get taken seriously. Last year's Super Bowl drew 5 million viewers in the UK according to NFL officials in New York. In the run-up to the Dolphins-Giants game, Wembley was dangled by the NFL as a future venue for the biggest single-day TV audience known to humankind.

The NFL doesn't slack on the promotion overseas, either: We've had Dolphins cheerleaders at the House of Commons; NFL owners and former Pro Bowl (the NFL All-star game) players floating around Buckingham; photo-ops at the Tower of London for the Giants, who will practice at the facilities of the Chelsea soccer club. There's even a 26-foot walking, talking semblance of Dolphin Jason Taylor, or JT, the 2006 defensive player of the year.

The Dolphins, training at the London Wasps's rugby training facility, might hope that both JT and his alter-ego could line up at kickoff on Sunday. Their exasperating 0-7 record, and the loss of league-leading running-back Ronnie Brown last week, doesn't make this game the most meaningful on the NFL docket.

As Mr. Taylor noted ruefully after last Sunday's blowout by the relentless Hessian army, otherwise known as the New England Patriots' offense, "Well, we can't win in America; maybe we can win overseas."

But most Brits are blithely unaware of such specifics. "The Giants are from New York, right?" said a businessman walking past the animatronic "Big JT."

"I was under the impression this is a really important game for the NFL," said Crissy Wisker, a saleswoman in downtown London.

Whether NFL Live from London is a major novelty item a mile wide and an inch deep – or the beginning of a real spread of smash-mouth sports to the earth's far corners, is unknown. Britain itself has spread sports, from tennis to soccer to cricket, worldwide. But American football "is different from anything we watch," says Gareth Davis, an NFL official in London. "We still do a little simple educating. We tell people you have four opportunities to make 10 yards, and go from there."

Sunday will partly determine whether the league moves to two regular-season games overseas annually. But the NFL isn't yet saying where or who. In the 1980s, Britain held its first exhibition NFL match, featuring the Chicago Bears and the Dallas Cowboys. At first, the Yanks' version of football sold out stadiums. But ticket sales waned in the '90s. NFL executives say that sports-savvy Brits tired of exhibition games, quarterbacked by backups.

"People don't want something that isn't genuine," says Mr. Waller. "In this market, they want to see the best ... the real thing."

Yet therein lie a number of rubs. Not all players or coaches, and certainly not all fans and owners, have bought into the NFL abroad, sources say. Sunday's Dolphins-Giants experiment will undergo an official league evaluation: How did players react to time-zone changes? Were there too many distractions? It isn't quite clear what will happen. The X-factor in the highly competitive NFL is always performance, and the change in culture and geography might affect a team.

Sources close to one NFL team note that head coaches hold the final say on whether they will risk possible player lapses on any given Sunday, in order to export.

"Coach approval is critical in the NFL," says a long-time NFL sportswriter. "A coach with a winning record may not agree to a risky distraction overseas. I can't imagine [New England head coach Bill] Belichick going for it. That's why it is important the London event goes smoothly for the NFL."

Dolfans, as they are known in Miami, have grumbled there aren't enough home games to begin with. (In New Yorker-rich Miami, many Giants fans say their team hasn't been scheduled for south Florida since 1996. "So what's this London trip?" many have asked – and not always politely.)

The London game will be broadcast in 216 countries. The next two Super Bowls will air for the first time on the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).

Efforts to establish a home-grown American-style football league here, Europa NFL, withered away last year. Whether a European city could one day overcome the logistics to being an NFL franchise, as some in the league hope, may be a different question.

In 2005, Mexico City held the only other officially foreign NFL game, when a record crowd of 103,467 watched the San Francisco 49ers play the Arizona Cardinals.

"Pro football in America has grown organically," Waller comments. "No one sat down in a room at one time and planned 32 teams and the biggest TV contracts ever."

Near the Big JT exhibit yesterday, Oliver Milford of London commented that American football could one day become the No. 4 favorite sport in England, after soccer, cricket, and rugby. "But I don't think it will ever replace the sport we most love to play – I mean fishing."

#63931 - 27 Oct 07 12:53 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
"Oliver Milford of London commented that American football could one day become the No. 4 favorite sport in England, after soccer, cricket, and rugby."

I will bet that was misquoted! A guy from the UK would never call football "soccer"

#63933 - 27 Oct 07 13:04 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Perhaps that would be true if he were a blinkered, trailer trash, provincial guy, BUT if he knew he was speaking to an American reporter for an American audience, then maybe, just maybe, he'd be intelligent enough to simply make it clear for the audience with whom he was speaking.

It's really not as difficult as it may seem. And just to remind you, the word soccer originated with English guys -- and came from the term "assoc. football"...

Still it's not a big deal, the Brits gotta get over themselves on petty stuff like this and just deal with it in order to communicate with others in this globalized world.

#63935 - 27 Oct 07 13:11 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

He He He ....got you going again....

#63937 - 27 Oct 07 14:06 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Dilli
He He He ....got you going again....

too easy, too easy ...

#63942 - 27 Oct 07 14:39 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
Perhaps that would be true if he were a blinkered, trailer trash, provincial guy, BUT if he knew he was speaking to an American reporter for an American audience, then maybe, just maybe, he'd be intelligent enough to simply make it clear for the audience with whom he was speaking.

It's really not as difficult as it may seem. And just to remind you, the word soccer originated with English guys -- and came from the term "assoc. football"...

Still it's not a big deal, the Brits gotta get over themselves on petty stuff like this and just deal with it in order to communicate with others in this globalized world.

Hehe -
Thanks for the reminder , totally unnecessary but never mind.

I don't see any Englishman feeling the need to have to change the manner in which he speaks to placate a half-wit American audience .

Oh , we can communicate with Americans just fine - we have started receiving your smoke signals.

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (27 Oct 07 14:39)

#63946 - 27 Oct 07 14:50 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

There are however products to help one speak like an American.

Attachments
gay.jpg

#63951 - 27 Oct 07 15:08 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Dilli
There are however products to help one speak like an American.

If I want one of those in my mouth I can go to Tretes and pay teluwalas seked.

#63961 - 27 Oct 07 20:09 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Have to add this again. Priceless.

Crowder learns he won’t need translator in London
By Tim Graham | Wednesday, October 24, 2007, 07:54 PM

Maybe he was joking, but gregarious Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder confessed today he didn’t know until Tuesday that people spoke English in London.

“I couldn’t find London on a map if they didn’t have the names of the countries,” Crowder said. “I swear to God. I don’t know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that.

“I know (Washington Redskins linebacker) London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. That’s the closest thing I know to London. He’s black, so I’m sure he’s not from London. I’m sure that’s a coincidental name.”

When reminded Dolphins practice squad receiver and NFL Europe veteran Marvin Allen is from London, Crowder’s standup routine didn’t miss a beat.

“He’s from London?” Crowder said. “I knew he was from over there because he talks funny. I was surprised (when they met) because — I don’t want to say he didn’t look the part because that’s a stereotype — but he didn’t look the part. I heard him talk, and I thought he had a recorder and was just mouthing.”

#63972 - 28 Oct 07 08:25 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta

This would be the same "World" that competes in the "World Series" would it?? Amazing that the US manages to win that every single year.

#63975 - 28 Oct 07 09:16 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: Roy's Hair]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Roy's hair

This would be the same "World" that competes in the "World Series" would it?? Amazing that the US manages to win that every single year.

classic wind-ups! smile riccardo loves it!

#63976 - 28 Oct 07 09:21 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Is this the place we are talking about?

Attachments
jvFmy3jCcN3D.jpg

#63977 - 28 Oct 07 09:30 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

frankly, i'd rather be in the queue than in the car with the creepy alien zombies.

#63981 - 28 Oct 07 10:37 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

i know i know. That Ricc ay? Time for another Yosemite pic soon.

#63982 - 28 Oct 07 10:39 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
frankly, i'd rather be in the queue than in the car with the creepy alien zombies.

That's him in the back with one of his famous chili's stuck up the dog's arse.

#64014 - 29 Oct 07 06:11 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Ric-bating aside this NFL in London move is the last option available to the marketing people to get the NFL accepted in to Europe. Having a competative game (even a shit one like this) will generate interest and get a little buzz going. Everything else has failed so far ... could be a smart move.

I wouldn't be surprised if the premier league watched how this plays out very carefully. I can see each premiership team playing one game per season in America ... Imagine the revenue it would generate

#64015 - 29 Oct 07 06:42 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

A decent article by the Daily Mail:

-------------------------------------------------

Giants grind out muddy win over hapless Dolphins
New York Giants 13 - 10 Miami Dolphins

By IVAN SPECK - 28th October 2007

Forget the grinding game, remember the show. Lights, cameras, action. Well, perhaps not so much action as the New York Giants outlasted the hapless Miami Dolphins 13-10 and ploughed a muddied furrow down the centre of a sodden Wembley pitch in the process.

As an occasion, though, this was a technicolour marvel. Gridiron came to town; a slice of American pie; a little bit of over there over here. And how the Brits lapped it up. An hour before kick-off, a third of the 81,176 crowd were already in their seats feasting their eyes on the warm-ups, the spectacle and, naturally, the scantily- clad Dolphins cheerleaders. When did that ever happen in our version of football?

With three minutes left on the clock and the Dolphins labouring in midfield, Wembley was still four fifths full. In Miami, the majority of fans would already be on their way home.

They would have missed an improbable Dolphins drive that ended in a touchdown for wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr and gave the scoreline a closer look than was merited, but this was no normal crowd for British or American sport. And no ordinary day.

From Pittsburgh Steelers yellow to Washington Redskins maroon to Dolphins aquamarine, jerseys of all colours were on display. If the NFL had feared their audience would require educating, they will surely have been delighted by the knowledge of those present.

One was England's World Cup winning rugby union captain Martin Johnson, whose love for gridiron earned him the privilege of attending the pre-game coin toss as the Dolphins' honorary captain for the day. His counterpart was John Terry, while Lewis Hamilton joined the pair on the pitch.

'God Save The Queen' was belted out with gusto by Paul Potts and the Dolphins cheerleaders gyrated their way through changes of costume without once letting their smiles drop.

American razzmatazz met English stiff upper lip when it came to the half-time entertainment, however. The band of the Royal Engineers added an incongruous air to the occasion, even more so when they delivered the theme from 'Rocky' as their first number.

All Wembley head groundsman Steve Welch could do was watch on in bemused horror at the sight of yet more feet churning up his turf. It will take much of the three-anda- half weeks before England play Croatia for the pitch to recover.

If there was a down side to the evening, it was the ineptitude of the Dolphins, who recorded their eighth successive defeat this season, although credit must go to Giants quarterback Eli Manning for impressive management of the ball in atrocious conditions.

Miami cheerleaders
Reasons to cheer: The Miami cheerleaders brighten up a gloomy Wembley

During time-outs, the scoreboards lit up with images of the 35th anniversary of the Dolphins' perfect 1972 season which ended in Superbowl triumph. The present team are now halfway to the imperfect season — something no team has ever managed in a 16- game campaign.

No Dolphins match now would be complete without a Keystone Cops moment. Yesterday's duly arrived in the closing seconds of the first half. Quarterback Cleo Lemon shaped to throw, only for the ball to shoot backwards out of his grasp and fall to the sodden earth to be pounced upon by Giants defensive end Michael Strahan. A circus clown could not have performed the routine better.

Back in Miami, season ticket holders watching the game on the Jumbotron screen at Dolphins Stadium will no doubt have felt relieved they did not have to witness another meltdown in the flesh.

For all the incongruity of an American football game at Wembley, imagine the scene on Double Decker Day in 86F heat in Florida. The British theme to the afternoon there extended to the choice of onsite food — fish and chips — as well as the surroundings. On display, a London black cab and an inflatable Big Ben. In attendance, a Sean Connery impersonator and a Queen lookalike.

Whether they will want their Dolphins back is another matter. Judging by this jamboree, however, London would gladly take them, fumbling and stumbling included.

#64016 - 29 Oct 07 06:45 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Agreed, good write up. (did not see the word Soccer once)

#64017 - 29 Oct 07 06:49 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

#64020 - 29 Oct 07 08:15 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Martin Johnson ... Nasty bit of work that guy. Hated seeing him as england captain as he is a bully and a thug .. not to mention old bill

#64021 - 29 Oct 07 08:23 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

And English which makes bully, thug and old bill pale into insignificance.

#64022 - 29 Oct 07 08:28 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Spoken like a true Scot! Actually most of the England team are very nice guys ... Jason Leonard being one of the best of the bunch - polite, down to earth and a bit of a gent.

Most aloof bastard ever was Jeremy Guscot ... like meeting a freezer.

#64023 - 29 Oct 07 08:31 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: chewwyUK]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: chewwyUK
Actually most of the England team are very nice guys ... Jason Leonard being one of the best of the bunch - polite, down to earth and a bit of a gent.

but then, isn't rugby a game for thugs played by gentlemen?

#64039 - 29 Oct 07 12:43 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

...with cauliflower ears

#64064 - 29 Oct 07 23:39 Re: Real FOOTBALL in UK [Re: Roy's Hair]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
Soccer and NLF is for poofs....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop