Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63924 - 27 Oct 07 11:17 Help Yourself & Feed the World
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
Check out FreeRice <http://www.freerice.com/index.php>

For every (English) vocabulary word you answer correctly this web site donates, through the United Nations, 10 grains of rice to help feed at least some of the world's hungry people.

According to the web site's statistics, FreeRice began on 7 October 2007 when it donated 830 grains of rice. On 25 October, the last day with published statistics, 30,819,620 grains of rice were donated. Lumayan.
----------------

According to the game's instructions:
* Click on the answer that best defines the (English) word.
* If you get it right, you get a harder word. If wrong, you get an easier word.
* For each word you get right, we donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program.

WARNING: This game may make you smarter. It may improve your speaking, writing, thinking, grades, job performance... (more).
----------------

Don't say you weren't warned <grin>.

If you want to know how the system works, read the site's FAQs. Don't be incredulous; better you're perspicacious grin

#63932 - 27 Oct 07 13:02 Re: Help Yourself & Feed the World [Re: flingwing]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Shouldn't governments learn how to feed their people, as opposed to relying on others to do it for them?

#63954 - 27 Oct 07 15:38 Re: Help Yourself & Feed the World [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
For the love of sweet baby jesus - wouldn't I be better donating the cost of the electricity that I would have used? that would also save in global warming and fossil fuel usage too.

I reckon it comes to around 924 Kg , about the wife's weekly consumption

#63957 - 27 Oct 07 18:24 Re: Help Yourself & Feed the World [Re: Piss Salon]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Piss Salon
Shouldn't governments learn how to feed their people, as opposed to relying on others to do it for them?

you mean to say, people should enslave their welfare and "protection" to a nation-state organisation? the state should be a last resort for anything and everything. nanny-states such as exist in australiasia, singapore, europe, and north amrik are oppressive abominations.

#63964 - 27 Oct 07 21:17 Re: Help Yourself & Feed the World [Re: Piss Salon]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Quoting: Piss Salon
Shouldn't governments learn how to feed their people, as opposed . . . ?

Yeah, that would be great if it could be the case.

However, as politically screwed up as the United Nations currently is, it is already a de facto government. I venture to say that, in (admittedly, a long) time, the UN, or something like it, may become the earth's central government. That may - or may not - be with our national-level governments acting much as provincial governments do now.

Considering humans have been on this earth for billions (?) of years, some of us have only very recently emerged from the idea of tribalism to embrace nationhood. With such a short history of modern statehood, it's probably no wonder why we humans don't yet do a good job of organizing ourselves in large groups.

And while I like KKKChu's idea of "thinking globally but acting locally", there are some elements of earth governance which are probably going to require global responses, like equitable sharing of resources among all humans, and worldwide police actions, not unlike INTERPOL, but with an arrest authority.

Considering how much human evolution will be required to get us ready for just those two changes, perhaps it's fortunate it's only just the 21st Century .

Have a nice forever grin.

#63966 - 27 Oct 07 21:42 Re: Help Yourself & Feed the World [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
that would also save in global warming and fossil fuel usage too.

Plan B
Yeah, I can understand your reticence to use that web site if it means increasing your carbon footprint .

But there was an alternate plan (henceforth to be known as "Plan B") that might have allowed you to (1) improve yourself while enriching your mind, and (2) to share some rice with the poor without burning (perhaps?) more than a liter of fuel oil at your nearby PLN powerplant.

All you'd have had to do was to NOT post your response (above). Then you - and the hungry - could have had it all grin.

N.B. = As a form of expiation (our "Word for the Day") for posting this response, in response to your response, all of which have released unknown numbers of British Thermal Units of heat into the atmosphere, I have decided to forswear visiting that FreeRice web site for 4.8 hours. That should bring balance back into the universe grin.

Have a nice day? grin

#63970 - 28 Oct 07 08:19 Re: Help Yourself & Feed the World [Re: flingwing]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
It's all very well giving with the UN, but poor countries' problem is that donor countries give with one hand and take away with the other via the one-size-fits-all economic fascism of the IMF, World Bank etc. The nation state is not a perfect system of course but is it any better to cede most of your political power to unelected first world burocrats? Democracy is the least bad method we have it's just that the rich west, despite the rhetoric, have little interest in promoting it outside their own countries, preferring instead compliant local dictators who'll allow them to plunder resources and local markets.

Ok. So we'll all have a big meeting down the docks next week yeah?? Start the revolution?? Kuku will bring sandwiches and I've got a megaphone.

#63986 - 28 Oct 07 10:55 Re: Help Yourself & Feed the World [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
by virtue of the fact that rice is never deducted for a wrong answer , a simple command line function will click contentedly for hours on end at the same answer- I don't have access at the moment to a unix based OS, but I know someone who does.

#63999 - 28 Oct 07 17:11 Re: Help Yourself & Feed the World [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
i'd like to klik some fahkin' condoms over there

Moderator:  NetCop