Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63763 - 24 Oct 07 10:36 Masuk angin
colin10021 Offline

Loc: New York City, NY
Would someone be so kind as to tell me about "Masuk angin". My fiance tells me its a "wind disease", where one can get sick from too much wind getting into your body.
This seems very strange to me and I am only used to American Medicine. Someone explain it further? Thanks

#63765 - 24 Oct 07 10:58 Re: Masuk angin [Re: colin10021]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
In English, we would say "a chill".

#63766 - 24 Oct 07 11:04 Re: Masuk angin [Re: colin10021]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
You have got to the nearly married stage and you don't know about "masuk angin" ? Colin10021, I'm very worried , I don't know where to start - I can only say :-

Wes hewes hewes bablas angine.

#63767 - 24 Oct 07 11:07 Re: Masuk angin [Re: kenyeung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: kenyeung
In English, we would say "a chill".

Come off it Kenny , that is like saying that a brain haemmorhoid can be treated with a couple of junior disprin.

#63768 - 24 Oct 07 11:12 Re: Masuk angin [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
You have got to the nearly married stage and you don't know about "masuk angin" ? Colin10021, I'm very worried , I don't know where to start - I can only say :-

LOL!LOL!LOL!

#63769 - 24 Oct 07 11:13 Re: Masuk angin [Re: colin10021]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
It derives from the old "Dutch Oven", where you pull the sheets of your bed up over your partner's head and pass wind (the larger the sulphur dioxide content, the better). You then hold the sheets over their head until they are forced to take a large breath, or several if you are strong and don't mind/like being clawed. Masuk angin, literally "enter wind", can thus be explained. Everyone knows that Americans, particularly New Yorkers, are full of hot air, so you should soon be an expert.

Seriously, "enter wind" is a common affliction befalling Indonesians and is used to 'explain' being sick, for whatever reason. My gf gets it from standing in front of a fan for too long, though it doesn't explain why she likes to sleep directly under an a/c unit on the coldest and strongest setting all night. It can be remedied, and I shit you not, by 'kerik'/'kerok', which involves massaging oil into a person's back and then scraping the shit out of it with a coin. The first line should be diagonal beginning at the base of the neck and moving out to the side of the body. Scrape and scrape until the line is deep red or even till the skin is bleeding. Then repeat process to person's back has about 10 to 14 bleeding scrape lines up and down back.

#63770 - 24 Oct 07 11:17 Re: Masuk angin [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

A quicker method of kerik is to use the back of a wood axe.

#63772 - 24 Oct 07 11:59 Re: Masuk angin [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Although Basuki is a bit ordinary and sometimes affects the requisite lisp of Indonesian comedians, he at least drops his haitches: "Wes e-wes e-wes, bablas angine."

Being American Colin, perhaps you were a fan of the 1980s action figure cartoon He-Man? Standing too close to He-Man could put you at risk at copping a dose of masuk angin (transmission via go-web-go), as illustrated here. Whereas the precautionary clip of "masuk anjing" is too risque for posting.

Edited by kenyeung (24 Oct 07 12:54)
Edit Reason: go web go

#63783 - 24 Oct 07 19:53 Re: Masuk angin [Re: colin10021]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Quoting: colin10021
Would someone be so kind as to tell me about "Masuk angin". My fiance tells me its a "wind disease", where one can get sick from too much wind getting into your body.
This seems very strange to me and I am only used to American Medicine. Someone explain it further? Thanks

There's no such thing as wind disease, i would call it a sign of 'cold' or when our body getting weak as an effect of our immune decrease.

#63787 - 24 Oct 07 20:45 Re: Masuk angin [Re: emmajkt]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
So what about Panas Dalam??

#63789 - 24 Oct 07 23:38 Re: Masuk angin [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Emma , is it true then ? Do you mean that for all this time when people fail to turn up for work, that they were actually ill rather than just taking the piss ?

Next time the tukang turns up late and complains of "kencing manis" the bugger is going to get to drink a glass of it to find out .

Roy , Panas Dalam or Panas Dalem ? I'm told it makes all the difference .

I'm personally suffering from Adem Ayem , which even foxes the javanese doctors.

#63896 - 26 Oct 07 20:04 Re: Masuk angin [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
i_beth Offline
Member++

Loc: NRW

I'm married and my hubby never know what is masuk angin. When I got masuk angin, I simply said "I'm feeling like a balloon with too much air waiting to burst...no, no coffee...coke please..."

Thats it smirk

#63898 - 26 Oct 07 20:11 Re: Masuk angin [Re: i_beth]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: i_beth

I'm married and my hubby never know what is masuk angin. When I got masuk angin, I simply said "I'm feeling like a balloon with too much air waiting to burst...no, no coffee...coke please..."

Thats it smirk

yeah, i know exactly where you're coming from. i feel like that *all* the time, you know? confused

#63899 - 26 Oct 07 20:13 Re: Masuk angin [Re: KuKuKaChu]
i_beth Offline
Member++

Loc: NRW
where im coming from? confused

Moderator:  NetCop