Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63586 - 20 Oct 07 07:22 ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks

Nobel laureate Dr James Watson, who triggered a storm with reportedly racist comments, has cancelled his British book tour and returned to the US where his lab has suspended him from duty.

"The Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Board of Trustees decided to suspend the administrative responsibilities of Chancellor James D Watson, PhD, pending further deliberation by the board," the lab said in a statement.

The scientist, who won the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1962 for his part in discovering the structure of DNA, had been in London when an interview he gave to The Sunday Times sparked a furore.

He had been the number two at the Long Island laboratory, just outside New York.

But the lab said Dr Watson was suspended "after the board's public statement yesterday disagreeing with the comments attributed to Dr Watson in the October 14, 2007 edition of The Sunday Times."

Dr Watson told the British weekly he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really."

Lab president Bruce Stillman said the board of trustees "vehemently disagree with these statements and are bewildered and saddened if he indeed made such comments."

Such remarks were Dr Watson's "own personal statements and in no way reflect the mission, goals, or principles of Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory's Board, administration or faculty," he said in a separate statement.

"Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory does not engage in any research that could even form the basis of the statements attributed to Dr Watson."

#63587 - 20 Oct 07 07:27 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
Dr Watson told the British weekly he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really."

so, it's ok to say that East Africans are superior athletes, or that Asians are inherently better at maths, or that West Africans are the best basketball players, or that Chinese are the best pingpong players, or that the Japanese have no imagination ... but we can't say that it's possible that one community of people may be inherently less intelligent in comparison to others, and that genetics plays no role in determining a persons intelligence ...

#63589 - 20 Oct 07 07:37 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
"but we can't say that it's possible that one community of people may be inherently less intelligent in comparison to others, and that genetics plays no role in determining a persons intelligence ..."

No, that would bring Austrlians into disrepute!

#63590 - 20 Oct 07 07:41 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Dilli
"but we can't say that it's possible that one community of people may be inherently less intelligent in comparison to others, and that genetics plays no role in determining a persons intelligence ..."

No, that would bring Austrlians into disrepute!

indeed. and australians are partly comprised of the finest scotland had to offer ...

#63591 - 20 Oct 07 07:45 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I feel that over the years the degradation of that fine DNA can be put down to the inter-special mixing of Kangaroo genes and oral sex with wombats

#63592 - 20 Oct 07 07:47 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here

so, it's ok to say that East Africans are superior athletes, or that Asians are inherently better at maths, or that West Africans are the best basketball players, or that Chinese are the best pingpong players, or that the Japanese have no imagination ... but we can't say that it's possible that one community of people may be inherently less intelligent in comparison to others, and that genetics plays no role in determining a persons intelligence ...

Intelligence is only another (racial) trait - we all know that bog-hoppers are inherently thick but are brilliant at digging holes .

Have you spent much time in Africa KuKu?

#63593 - 20 Oct 07 08:23 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Have you spent much time in Africa KuKu?

no, never been there. but i live in jaksa. i pass the african speakeasy every day. does this count?

#63594 - 20 Oct 07 08:34 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Nearly the same - see if you can find a braincell in there next time you pass - if you do it will be lonely.

#63596 - 20 Oct 07 09:49 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
We're all genetically identical to 99.9% in fact. One part in a thousand. Racists can stick that in their pipe and smoke it. Plus the essentially plastic nature of the brain's neural networks can overcome many inherent inequalities: i.e. nurture is a strong factor. Watson, one of my heroes, should know better. Not clever? Have you seen those Nigerian internet scammers?

#63597 - 20 Oct 07 10:00 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

However, it is true that there is a need for increased eduction in Africa. I dont suscribe to the beleif that they are less intelligent, only less educated.

Attachments
Ugandan Sex Ed.jpg

#63598 - 20 Oct 07 10:20 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

However, it is true that there is a need for increased eduction in Africa. I dont suscribe to the beleif that they are less intelligent, only less educated.

exactly. In fact Nigeria has a relatively decent education system, result : their devious, wily boys are scamming the whole fucken world via the net!!

#63599 - 20 Oct 07 11:13 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Roy's hair
Not clever? Have you seen those Nigerian internet scammers?

So Roy's , would YOU fall for one of those scams then?

I'd suggest that the scammers aren't clever , but the people who fall for the scams are even more stupid/greedy.

Nothing to do with racism - and you think 1 part in a thousand is not enough to make a difference?

I am afraid that you can have two identical children - twins perhaps , given the same chances and encouragement , one will flourish and the best the other will do will be to shag his teddy bear - how does this work then ? is it not remotely possible that the way we are wired (and nobody really knows quite how that works) has a bearing on our strengths and weaknesses ? and if this is possible , is it not therefore possible that a race of people can also have inbuilt(developed) strengths ?

Genetically Eskimo's can eat penguins morning noon and night without any problem , but there is no way we can , we would get terrible indigestion - we may all have started out genetically equal , but I am not sure that is the answer.

#63600 - 20 Oct 07 11:17 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Roy's hair

exactly. In fact Nigeria has a relatively decent education system, result : their devious, wily boys are scamming the whole fucken world via the net!!

Hold on , are we saying that Nigerians have a propensity to be devious wily drug smuggling buggers ? I would be inclined to agree with you in actual fact , but isn't that a tad well ---racist?

#63601 - 20 Oct 07 11:38 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

No, it is aimed at a country rather than a race

#63603 - 20 Oct 07 12:55 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

education will certainly cure ignorance; it will have little effect upon inate relative lack of ability.

#63604 - 20 Oct 07 14:05 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Is that a confession Kuku?

#63605 - 20 Oct 07 14:16 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

well, put it this way dill: i never completed high school ...

#63606 - 20 Oct 07 14:21 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Nothing to do with racism - and you think 1 part in a thousand is not enough to make a difference?

I am afraid that you can have two identical children - twins perhaps , given the same chances and encouragement , one will flourish and the best the other will do will be to shag his teddy bear - how does this work then ? is it not remotely possible that the way we are wired (and nobody really knows quite how that works) has a bearing on our strengths and weaknesses ? and if this is possible , is it not therefore possible that a race of people can also have inbuilt(developed) strengths ?

Genetically Eskimo's can eat penguins morning noon and night without any problem , but there is no way we can , we would get terrible indigestion - we may all have started out genetically equal , but I am not sure that is the answer.

We indeed are not all equal and there are inherent genetic inequalities in all of us however all attempts to assert an ethno-genetic bell curve based on race have failed. Our so called racial categories have existed but for a blink of an eye in evolutionary terms. In fact we know quite a lot already about the brain's wiring (neurons, axions, dendrons, synapses, the limbic system, the cerebral cortex) from the use of newer techniques such as MRI and we know how plastic and malleable the whole system is despite our inherent inequalities. Nurture plays an enormous part in other words.

This is professor Heinz Wolf reporting.

and by the way it's no more racist to say there are crims in Nigeria than to say there are crims in England but this is an obvious point I think. Stupid boy.

Edited by Roy's hair (20 Oct 07 14:25)
Edit Reason: mutated jeans

#63607 - 20 Oct 07 14:31 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Roy's Hair]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Don't you understand? This is exactly what those Eskimos want us to do!

#63608 - 20 Oct 07 14:36 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: kenyeung]
Pooh Bah

pity penguins are a feature of the southern hemisphere, not the northern from whence come the inuit.

but then, i guess some people are too genetically deficient to know that wink

#63609 - 20 Oct 07 14:40 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pujangga

I don't see what intuition has to do with any of this. Born and raised in a plastic igloo were you? Or perhaps you just wish you were.

Edited by kenyeung (20 Oct 07 14:42)
Edit Reason: none

#63610 - 20 Oct 07 14:50 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: kenyeung]
Pooh Bah

plastic igloo?! HA! looxery! why, when aih wuz a lad ...

#63612 - 20 Oct 07 15:14 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pujangga

Well, when I say "igloo" it was actually just a small ice-cube, but it were a home to us.

#63615 - 20 Oct 07 17:43 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

pity penguins are a feature of the southern hemisphere, not the northern from whence come the inuit.

but then, i guess some people are too genetically deficient to know that wink

Just a pretty bauble for you to play with Kenny - being that Penguins were the rather soppy theme for the season, I decided to keep with it - and it is well proven that accurate information is not a prerequisite for posting (GRSB hate forum).
Everyone of course knows that Eskimo's eat mostly aardvark and chips.

#63618 - 20 Oct 07 18:35 Re: ABC/Scientist suspended for 'racist' remarks [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Gene splicing with Ken:

Attachments
birddog51 penguin success.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop