Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63547 - 18 Oct 07 17:02 Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run?
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
Howdy,
If you've made the SIN-BATAM ferry run, can you tell me something about the times required to get from SIN airport to ferry terminal in Singapore? Also, what about onward connections from BTM to JKT?

Some Specific Questions:
1 - How long does it take to get from Changi Airport to the ferry terminal in SIN? What's a good way to get there - MRT, bus, or taxi?

2 - Check-in time for the BTM ferry I have read is 30 minutes before departure. Is that enough time to get sorted out for leaving SIN and to make the ferry check-in time?

3 - How often do the ferries leave SIN for Batam? Do they always leave on time or at least close to schedule? I need to know this to plan on making an aircraft connection from BTM to Jakarta.

4. How long does it take to clear immigration/customs at Batam Ferry Terminal and to get to the BTM airport for an onward flight to JKT?

5. What's the best way to get from BTM ferry terminal to the BTM airport?

Thanks for any info or tips.

#63549 - 18 Oct 07 18:54 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: flingwing]
i_beth Offline
Member++

Loc: NRW

#63550 - 18 Oct 07 19:16 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: i_beth]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
how considerate! a ferry service to singapore specially for us penguins!!

(for those who came in late, see http://www.jakchat.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/61987#Post61987 )

Edited by KuKuKaChu (18 Oct 07 19:22)
Edit Reason: ghost who walks

#63552 - 18 Oct 07 19:36 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Thanks i Beth, I saw that Penguin Ferry Service site on the Net. However, there seem to be a confusing amount of other ferry operators. That's partly why I wanted to know whether or not ferries depart every 40-60 minutes or so (like Penguin's do), or whether ferries depart every few minutes if you consider all the services. The latter would make it easier to catch a flight connection on time at Batam Airport. And are all ferries created equal in safety and quality?

Then there are what appears to be multiple ports for the ferries to arrive in Batam. I also, think there may be more than one port in SIN to catch a departing ferry, too. So which port/ferry company is recommended to get to the airport after landing in Batam?

Finally, KKKChu I think you missed the point on the name of Penguin Ferry Service. It's not for transporting penguins, but rather, the hulls of the ships are made of tanned penguin hides. They also serve Soto Penguin on board, enroute .

Have a Good One!

#63553 - 18 Oct 07 19:41 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
i_beth Offline
Member++

Loc: NRW
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
how considerate! a ferry service to singapore specially for us penguins!!

Nice one ya? hehe...and Flingwing said they have Penguin soto also!
smirk

#63554 - 19 Oct 07 00:21 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: flingwing]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: flingwing

1 - How long does it take to get from Changi Airport to the ferry terminal in SIN? What's a good way to get there - MRT, bus, or taxi?

2 - Check-in time for the BTM ferry I have read is 30 minutes before departure. Is that enough time to get sorted out for leaving SIN and to make the ferry check-in time?

3 - How often do the ferries leave SIN for Batam? Do they always leave on time or at least close to schedule? I need to know this to plan on making an aircraft connection from BTM to Jakarta.

4. How long does it take to clear immigration/customs at Batam Ferry Terminal and to get to the BTM airport for an onward flight to JKT?

5. What's the best way to get from BTM ferry terminal to the BTM airport?

1. Plan for a minimum of 45 minutes. MRT is comfortable and cheap. Taxi is a tad quicker but more expensive.

2. Singapore customs are more efficient than anyone and the SIN-BTM ferry port is super quick. It should be enough time unless you get caught at a holiday time or something.

3. There are a half-dozen ferry companies, and each run about 30 minutes apart, so there are loads to choose from. The ferry trip takes about 45 minutes.

4. Once you get to Indonesian territory all bets are off! I've had a couple of minor problems, but it's usually just a few minutes to get through customs and out the door. Nevertheless, plan for the worst. After that you gotta deal with the taxi shite-hawks from hell (a very nice WELCOME TO INDONESIA!!!!). Once you get a taxi, it'll take less than 20 minutes to get to the BTM airport.

5. The only way to get to the airport is via taxi and the cost will be between USD $5 and $8 (Rp 50,000 and 80,000) depending on what you can negotiate with the thugs at the taxi stand that are there at the time.

#63568 - 19 Oct 07 08:55 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here

They charged you $8 because you insisted on taking your fucking sedan with you - had a hell of a job getting it on the roof rack.

Just as well you live in Indo where the cost of living is so low - if you had to live in the UK , you would last five minutes before being smacked by an afronted taxi driver ( who would almost certainly be a Pakistani Muslim Gentlemen hehehe)

#63572 - 19 Oct 07 12:47 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Ship Of Fools Offline

I usually bypass all the taxi drivers in front of the door and walk to the front gate where there is always an ojek. I pay 25,000 to the airport. Just did it yesterday. All the other said info is on the money. Good luck. P.S. I paid 3 times the price for a ticket to Jakarta (1.2 Juta) and that was on the black market/stand-by. All the flights are pretty well booked. I've dealt with the shady dudes hanging by the counters and haven't had a problem yet, but still use caution.

#63573 - 19 Oct 07 13:01 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Ship Of Fools]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Ship Of Fools
I usually bypass all the taxi drivers in front of the door and walk to the front gate where there is always an ojek. I pay 25,000 to the airport. Just did it yesterday. All the other said info is on the money. Good luck. P.S. I paid 3 times the price for a ticket to Jakarta (1.2 Juta) and that was on the black market/stand-by. All the flights are pretty well booked. I've dealt with the shady dudes hanging by the counters and haven't had a problem yet, but still use caution.

I'm sure you have your reasons , and I know there are a few wrinkles in travelling through Batam , but is it really worth it? Obviously if you are in Batam and want to go to singers then it makes sense , but poncing around from Jakarta to Batam to Singers ?

#63575 - 19 Oct 07 14:30 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

that's what i always wonder: is it really worth all the time, hassle and potential for fuck-ups?? sure, you might save yourself Rp1m. in all, but for all you have to do for it you could be usefully employed doing something more profitable and/or edifying.

#63576 - 19 Oct 07 17:23 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Go business or first! No wuckin' furries!

#63577 - 19 Oct 07 18:19 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Save a million KuKu ? I fucking doubt it - impecunious bules on fishing boats , just as well there are a few respectful javanese bules who keep up standards.

Load of bloody pikeys scratching around like old chickens.

#63809 - 25 Oct 07 13:00 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Ship Of Fools Offline

A milliom here a million there and soon your talking a lot of rupiah. And it's true I did grow up on a poor fishing boat so I know the value of money and I don't mind the hassle of the Batam run. I got it down to a tee. It also gives me time alone. You don't have to be such an ass all the time, do you?

#63810 - 25 Oct 07 13:01 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Ship Of Fools]
Pooh Bah

You don't have to be such an ass all the time, do you?

yes, he does actually. he's english.

#63811 - 25 Oct 07 13:03 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Seconded.

#63820 - 25 Oct 07 17:32 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Cheeky pair of buggers.

#63821 - 25 Oct 07 17:44 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Ship Of Fools]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

A milliom here a million there and soon your talking a lot of rupiah. And it's true I did grow up on a poor fishing boat so I know the value of money and I don't mind the hassle of the Batam run. I got it down to a tee. It also gives me time alone. You don't have to be such an ass all the time, do you?

Right now to you Captain Pugwash.
Obviously with you being a teacher you don't have a proper job yet , so you may actually save enough money to buy a packet of Klobot , but some people's time actually exceeds that , so after all the haggling with taxi drivers and poncing around , we find it quicker to get on a flight and go and do some productive work - in the case of teachers one assumes that this means getting pissed then molesting the kids .

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (25 Oct 07 17:46)
Edit Reason: charley chester

#63823 - 25 Oct 07 19:41 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: flingwing]
griff Offline

Loc: houston texas
Try Singapore/Batam Ferries.I typed it in and received numerous web-sites where you can get the info you required....Griff

#63869 - 26 Oct 07 11:33 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: griff]
Ship Of Fools Offline

I'm sorry Capt. Ass. I thought this was the advice link. I take it you must not have a lot of friends with the poisonous cynicism that spews from your back side.

#63870 - 26 Oct 07 11:35 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Ship Of Fools]
Ship Of Fools Offline

No wonder there's so many members but few regular posters because they have to spar with jackasses like yourself if they dare to post something helpful.

#63902 - 26 Oct 07 22:55 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Ship Of Fools]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
sof,

don't take it personally, everybody has to tolerate the inane tirades or this unemployed alcoholic...

#64008 - 29 Oct 07 05:28 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Ship Of Fools]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I'm sorry Capt. Ass. I thought this was the advice link. I take it you must not have a lot of friends with the poisonous cynicism that spews from your back side.

But it is an advice link Shit of Fools - I would advise anyone who is highly strung (Riccardo for instance) not to piss around through Batam unless there really is no other choice - you of course are free to do what you wish , provising of course, you can afford to.

And to the pair of you idiots - here is what we will do - I'll stop posting from now , you two show with your stunning a witty dialogue how you can advance JakChat .

Here is a small example:-

"he also said 'everybody must get stoned', more pertinent imo..."

#64278 - 01 Nov 07 20:03 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
..and the problem is?

#64279 - 01 Nov 07 20:11 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: naga]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

A 4 day response. I can see the speed of the internet is improving!

#64280 - 01 Nov 07 20:46 Re: Anyone done the SIN - BATAM run? [Re: Dilli]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
If you don't want to receive messages like this, change your Profile Settings to "Do not show me smug penguin notification posts."

Well, the good news is that Singapore Airlines has equipped some of their Airbus A380 airplanes with private trolley dollies. The bad news is that they are adamantly against anyone making use of that trolley dolly for what comes naturally, and I'm not talking about juggling dragon turds.

The Thylacine is a large carnivorous marsupial now believed to be extinct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop