Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63278 - 10 Oct 07 11:47 Broadband Internet Service
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
We've done this before but I thought I'd ask again to get the latest love letters, rants & recriminations smile .

What's the best personal, home broadband service available in Jakarta right now? Also, how can one best guess the download limits one will need? I believe the least expensive service is a good price, but the extra charges for exceeding your download limit is high.

Finally, are there still new customer specials available to get the modem free? Thanks for any info.

#63279 - 10 Oct 07 11:50 Re: Broadband Internet Service [Re: flingwing]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I'm using Telkom Speedy and it appears to be OK, Modem was not expensive as I already owned one. About 250K a month

#63286 - 10 Oct 07 13:40 Re: Broadband Internet Service [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I pay 200K a month for 1 gig of download with speedy. Modem you have to pay for if you don't have one but they are cheap as chips. Good service no complaints

As for your question about download limits .. unless you are uploading and downloading music and video files you should be okay with 1 gig a month

#63287 - 10 Oct 07 16:08 Re: Broadband Internet Service [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

More info needed. If you are like Chewwy and Dili and work at an office and do 90% of your online work there, then your home use is just a limited time (when you're at home and not asleep) and usually just standard stuff like checking sports scores and personal emailing -- then your total limit, like Chewwy says should not exceed 1 GB/month and thus options with such giga limits are fine.

If you are like kuku or myself and your home computer is also your office/work/network computer it can be 5 or 10 times that. For instance, most of my work involves a lot of Internet research (on two computers connected to the same network) and emailing (sending and receiving) loads of Pdf documents everyday in addition to fun/hobby stuff like checking sports and looking at youtube vids and downloading music -- this comes to over 7GB/month usually, so I need an unlimited account. I'm sure Kuku's situation is similar.

So that's the first thing to decide.... what/how much you are using your home computer.

#63288 - 10 Oct 07 16:18 Re: Broadband Internet Service [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i have no idea what my monthly usage is. i have/had an unlimited "personal" cable connection (kabelvision/cbn) with 10 employees machines also hooked in. i don't do much video downloading; too frustratingly slow. with the compulsory cable TV connection, i was paying Rp750.000 per month. the so-called "SOHO" option costs Rp1,35jt per month, which is a rip-off, as the connection speed is half of the personal!

anyway, in my new office i'm about to try a wireless internet option being offered by some shady mob in wisma nusantara.

#63289 - 10 Oct 07 16:54 Re: Broadband Internet Service [Re: KuKuKaChu]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
of things communication, this is the sorry state of my network after the move ... it has got worse since the photo was taken... if ever anyone thought that humans were pretty damn clever, this is proof that we have a long way to go ...

Attachments
lan.jpg

#63291 - 10 Oct 07 17:01 Re: Broadband Internet Service [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
grin

..take only what you need..

#63295 - 10 Oct 07 17:41 Re: Broadband Internet Service [Re: Ena]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Loc: Previously Wagin, Western Aust...
I got conned into using XL at 300k per month no limit on downloads. Am thinking of changing to Speedy. Am waiting for an english language brochure as my bahasa is not all that reliable.

I will be leaving in February so would prefer to pay monthly. Does anyone know if Speedy requires you to sign up for a one year contract ?

#63297 - 10 Oct 07 17:55 Re: Broadband Internet Service [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: riccardo
If you are like Chewwy and Dili and work at an office and do 90% of your online work there

Work? Is that what they're calling it now? I've seen the photo of Dili on his way to work.

Edited by kenyeung (10 Oct 07 18:02)

Moderator:  NetCop