Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63205 - 09 Oct 07 00:16 Marriage
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
What do you need to do before getting married in Indonesia. Someone mentioned I needed to complete a number of legal documents beforehand, such as signing something that will allow for the transfer of assets between partners.

Maybe I should speak to a lawyer. Any suggestions?

#63207 - 09 Oct 07 05:10 Re: Marriage [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Why bother, you own nothing anyway!

#63219 - 09 Oct 07 08:56 Re: Marriage [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
I thought Piss's "Assets" had already been removed

#63223 - 09 Oct 07 11:05 Re: Marriage [Re: Roy's Hair]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Loc: The Big Durian
Check this out: http://www.exxpat.or.id/info/mixmarriages.html

When I got married I was advised to get a separation of property agreement (pisah harta), an Indonesian prenup. Without one, an Indonesian woman married to a foreign man apparently loses the right to own real property in Indonesia. See a notary public.

#63224 - 09 Oct 07 11:30 Re: Marriage [Re: xsbir]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Thanks. Owe you an xsbir or two.

#63240 - 09 Oct 07 20:26 Re: Marriage [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Checked out that site. What is the following requirement for a wedding?: " Tax receipt or proof of tax settled (for foreigner who works in Indonesia)" and "Citizenship letter and Endorsement Letter by Police (for those who live and reside in Indonesia).$

Is the latter a police card?

Thanks in advance.

(My next wedding, I will leave up to Kuku.)

#63242 - 09 Oct 07 20:34 Re: Marriage [Re: Piss Salon]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
No. It's a tree.

#63244 - 09 Oct 07 20:44 Re: Marriage [Re: kenyeung]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

A bayan tree, symbolizing Indonesian bureaucracy and hoops one has to jump through?

#63248 - 09 Oct 07 20:57 Re: Marriage [Re: Piss Salon]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
No. A cedar tree. Symbolizing cedar wood.

#63251 - 09 Oct 07 21:08 Re: Marriage [Re: kenyeung]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Or the Joshua tree, which symbolizes something for befitting my present circumstances/cision:

"The trunk of this Joshua tree is covered by its still-attached dead leaves, which will eventually be cut off to expose the smooth underside."

#63276 - 10 Oct 07 11:00 Re: Marriage [Re: Piss Salon]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Loc: The Big Durian
Quoting: Piss Salon
Checked out that site. What is the following requirement for a wedding?: " Tax receipt or proof of tax settled (for foreigner who works in Indonesia)" and "Citizenship letter and Endorsement Letter by Police (for those who live and reside in Indonesia).$

Is the latter a police card?

Thanks in advance.

(My next wedding, I will leave up to Kuku.)

I don't know what those documents are. I didn't need them because when I got married here I was on a tourist visa.

Just think Piss, after today you'll be able to accumulate as many wives as Kuku has. You'll be needing his advice, I think.

#63298 - 10 Oct 07 18:09 Re: Marriage [Re: xsbir]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

One's a headache. What's four?

#63301 - 10 Oct 07 18:57 Re: Marriage [Re: Piss Salon]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Piss Salon
One's a headache. What's four?

a company.

#63302 - 10 Oct 07 19:08 Re: Marriage [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

all these prenups and nonsense are all very well i guess. myself? i would never bother. why? because all my assets and property are under the name of my company.

really, if you are in indonesia for the long haul, then you should have your own company with the laws the way they currently are. all your assets and property should be under the name of this company. you should be the majority shareholder (preferably 95%+) *and* the director of this company. your (indonesian) will should specify to whom you would like your shares in this company to go to (yes, it can be another foreigner).

where necessary, you should also use your own company to sponsor your presense here in indonesia, either with a KITAS/work permit, or with a social or business visa.

basically, the more autonomous you are in indonesia, the better.

#105989 - 06 Nov 09 16:34 Re: Marriage [Re: Piss Salon]
adelina Offline
Member*

Loc: in your heart
just a suggestion, i think its not good for an expat to marry and stay in indonesia. so if you finally found your sweetheart here, just take her back to your country and live happily there forever and ever. smile
of course, you still can visit indonesia sometimes.

#105996 - 06 Nov 09 17:49 Re: Marriage [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Paregy Offline
Member+

Loc: Menteng
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
all these prenups and nonsense are all very well i guess. myself? i would never bother. why? because all my assets and property are under the name of my company.

really, if you are in indonesia for the long haul, then you should have your own company with the laws the way they currently are. all your assets and property should be under the name of this company. you should be the majority shareholder (preferably 95%+) *and* the director of this company. your (indonesian) will should specify to whom you would like your shares in this company to go to (yes, it can be another foreigner).

where necessary, you should also use your own company to sponsor your presense here in indonesia, either with a KITAS/work permit, or with a social or business visa.

basically, the more autonomous you are in indonesia, the better.
It is not a must either that such a way is always ensured as there is weakness anyway. Adelina is right. I think, taking wife home to the expat's country will be better so their children will be growing up in bilingual. English/foreign language when outside of home, and Indonesian when at home. So, when speak Indonesian the children will spell like Indonesian, and when speak English will spell like English.

Matthew 4:10
Then saith Jesus unto kim, God theee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship The Lord thy God, and him ONLY shalt thou SERVE.

Revelation 19:10
And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of PROPHECY.

#106007 - 07 Nov 09 00:32 Re: Marriage [Re: Paregy]
bishopslips Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
God help us. Where are my razor blades?

Edited by bishopslips (07 Nov 09 00:33)

#106011 - 07 Nov 09 05:43 Re: Marriage [Re: bishopslips]
Paregy Offline
Member+

Loc: Menteng
Quoting: bishopslips
God help us. Where are my razor blades?
You have God..? Ohh I guessed mostly expats in Indo have no belief...

Matthew 4:10
Then saith Jesus unto kim, God theee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship The Lord thy God, and him ONLY shalt thou SERVE.

Revelation 19:10
And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of PROPHECY.

#106020 - 07 Nov 09 07:38 Re: Marriage [Re: adelina]
Yes Offline
Member++

Loc: Bali, Indonesia
Quoting: adelina
just a suggestion, i think its not good for an expat to marry and stay in indonesia. so if you finally found your sweetheart here, just take her back to your country and live happily there forever and ever. smile
of course, you still can visit indonesia sometimes.

I can understand that any girls getting married to forigners want to be taken out side of indonesia.... Im sorry this is a particular sore point for me. This attitude that once you take a girl outside of indonesia (like its your duty) everything will be peaches.

Since my split with my missus, i have had various people mention to me that if only I had of taken my missus and child to Australia I wouldnt have the problems I have now. When i say that Indonesia is were i will be staying, i get that look as If im a horrible person, delibratly puting my wife and child at a disadvantage. More often than not these people are indonisian girls proberly with the aspirations of being wisked away to another country, where they will become rich and then can revisit indonisia, and can brag to people of thier new status.

I worked hard to be able to live here, There was a reason why I moved from Australia, the exact same reason I havent been back in some time. When someone preaches to me about the advantages my son will enjoy growing up in Australia rather than indonesia, I say, How the fuck would they know, they havnt lived both sides of the fence. I grew up there, im well informed on life in Australia, and i choose to live here...."oh but what about your kids education" Ha, education in ausralia, They might be horrified to spend a few days in a public school... Atleast from what i can tell, here kids are still to an extent well behaved within school, i have Fond memories of seeing class mates tell teachers to fuck off and jam it, the teacher couldnt do jack shit about it...

I told my missus from the get go that indonesia is were i intended to stay and If she had aspirations of leaving then look for another man, I wish these pepole would Fuck off and leave me to live my Life in peace in Indonesia, If they want, they can take thier child to Australia, then he/she can come back to Bali when he is 18 for a holiday and join the rest of the rude arrogant dissrespectfull aussies that are of the notion that they are gods gift to Bali...

Sorry, I made this personal, adelina's comment struck a nerve!

#106022 - 07 Nov 09 07:46 Re: Marriage [Re: Yes]
Pooh Bah

australia = heaven?

i don't think so.

i really, really don't think so.

#106024 - 07 Nov 09 08:05 Re: Marriage [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Yes Offline
Member++

Besides for visiting my family and friends, I have no longing to go back. Maybe in future If I became a sheep and decided the best coarse of action is to follow the rest of the sheep, then I migth consider moving back....

Oh come hither, the grass is so green in Australia, Come here and eat our luscious grass.... Fuck you I say, Eating grass is fucking boring. Id rather be a Bull roming freely and occasionally busting my way into paddocks full of cows, and fuck as many as i can...

#106025 - 07 Nov 09 08:25 Re: Marriage [Re: Yes]
Bu Kaki Offline
Member++

Loc: Bekasi
Fuck you, Australia!
by xolunt
(after Bukowski)

Oh come hither, Come eat
our luscious grass...
Fuck you, I say, Australia!
I have no longing to go back.
Eating grass is fucking boring.
I'd rather be free-roaming bull,
following the best coarse of actions.
Bust my way into paddocks, full of cows,
and fuck as many as I can.
I worked hard to get here,
And the grass is greener in Australia.
Australia, fuck you.

#106026 - 07 Nov 09 08:45 Re: Marriage [Re: Bu Kaki]
Yes Offline
Member++

I like it..... Im going to get a tatto of the southern cross then have this poem inked straight over the top

#106027 - 07 Nov 09 09:25 Re: Marriage [Re: Yes]
bishopslips Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
My misses wouldn't want to leave Indonesia even if I wanted to. Too bloody cold in blighty for one thing.

Quote:

You have God..? Ohh I guessed mostly expats in Indo have no belief...

There is no god. I do, however, have belief. I believe in gravity, that the earth revolves around the sun, that milk comes from cows etc...

I don't believe in thor, allah, zeus, yaweh, jehova, ghosts, santa clause, pixies, the tooth fairy, a giant squirrel chicken, a sober vulgarian etc...

#106030 - 07 Nov 09 10:20 Re: Marriage [Re: Bu Kaki]
Operet Offline
Member+

Loc: -
Quoting: Bu Kaki
Fuck you, Australia!
by xolunt
(after Bukowski)

Oh come hither, Come eat
our luscious grass...
Fuck you, I say, Australia!
Eating grass is fucking boring.
I'd rather be free-roaming bull,
following the best coarse of actions.
Bust my way into paddocks, full of cows,
and fuck as many as I can.
I worked hard to get here,
And the grass is greener in Australia.
Australia, fuck you.
You are an Australian and don't want to go home to your country? Why..? You are here because you have been escaping from something? You must came from an unhappy family so you prefer leaving your country to live a life in other country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop