Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63152 - 07 Oct 07 13:02 Local Publishers Publishing English Book
mia76 Offline

Loc: J-Town
Hi everyone, I'm new here (please be gentle, I'm quite civilized). I wasn't really sure which sub-forum to post this, so I'm posting it here.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any Indonesian publishers willing to publish actual freshly-written English books (not just translate Indonesian books to English).

Thanks so much!

Edited by mia76 (07 Oct 07 13:03)

#63153 - 07 Oct 07 13:12 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: mia76]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Hey Mia,

There are a few "literary" types on the board and I am sure they will fill you in with more information.

Have fun!

#63154 - 07 Oct 07 13:48 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
yes. there are many who probably could help. but i think we'd rather tease the hell out of you first smile

here's something to think about: one of the biggest selling authors of english-language indonesia-related fiction prints his books himself. ditto for the biggest selling non-fiction author.

what does this tell you?

#63158 - 07 Oct 07 15:13 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
yes, there are, etc.

#63159 - 07 Oct 07 15:24 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: kenyeung]
Pujangga

What is it that you desire to get published?
Dunno whether Richard Oh of QB World Books/Metafor Publishing is still publishing anything these days. Can try emailing him at publisher@metaforpublishing.com or info@metaforpublishing.com but your emails might bounce.
Better to contact two of the main publishers of books in English about Indonesia: Mark Hanusz of Equinox (editor@equinoxpublishing.com), and Kerry Collison of Sidharta (author@sidharta.com.au).
And if no luck, try calling Richard Mann (021 829 5446) who publishes his own books under Gateway Books International.
And if still no luck, try tracking down Ross Mackay, who has also managed to publish a few of his own. Or become a publisher.

#63160 - 07 Oct 07 17:32 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: kenyeung]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: kenyeung
What is it that you desire to get published?

what are the odds: poetry.

#63163 - 07 Oct 07 18:23 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: mia76]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Quoting: mia76
Hi everyone, I'm new here (please be gentle, I'm quite civilized). I wasn't really sure which sub-forum to post this, so I'm posting it here.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any Indonesian publishers willing to publish actual freshly-written English books (not just translate Indonesian books to English).

Thanks so much!

Should freshly-written be hyphened?

What's the book called? "Mia. A Pembantu's Tale"? A huge, roller coaster of a novel in four hundred sizzling chapters. A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century, with some hot Taman Lawang waria thrown in?

#63172 - 07 Oct 07 21:06 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: Piss Salon]
Pujangga

You wrote a novel and it got stolen and published under someone elses name? What's the name of the novel? Who stole it? Under what author's name was it published?

And what's the novel about? Discovering that Hello Kitty stickers are much cheaper at Trisakti than they are at Leiden University?

#63175 - 08 Oct 07 06:31 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Piss Salon

yes.

The Jakarta Post style, however, is unhymened. but do you really care what JP thinks??

#63189 - 08 Oct 07 08:40 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta

What's the book called? "Mia. A Pembantu's Tale"? A huge, roller coaster of a novel in four hundred sizzling chapters. A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century, with some hot Taman Lawang waria thrown in?

That's Black Adder

#63206 - 09 Oct 07 00:37 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: Roy's Hair]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Indeed it is Black Adder.

Kuku, I was always taught never to hyphen words ending in -ly.

From http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000127.htm

Hyphenated Compound Words

Hyphens are used internally in some compound words to separate the words forming the compound word.

Examples: merry-go-round editor-in-chief

When unsure of the hyphenation of such words, check a dictionary. Usage may vary. As some words are more widely used, the hyphen is dropped. For example, in the early 1800s the word blackbird was usually spelled black-bird. Now the hyphen has been dropped.

Hyphens connect the words of a compound modifier that comes before the word being modified. Hyphens are not used this way with compound parts ending in -ly or made up of proper nouns or proper adjectives.

Incorrect: He is a well respected man.
Correct: He is a well-respected man.
(A compound modifier before the noun.)

Incorrect: That man is well-respected.

Correct: That man is well respected.
(The modifier follows the noun, no hyphen.)

Incorrect: That was a badly-punctuated sentence.

Correct: That was a badly punctuated sentence.
(Modifier ends in -ly, no hyphen.)

Therefore "freshly-written English books" is a badly punctuated sentence. Accoring to the two grammar websites I visited and my own meagre education, which is meagre indeed.

And to be pedantic, can it be a freshly-written [sic] English book if it is only a manuscript?

#63218 - 09 Oct 07 08:53 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
We were always taught to ask - ome word two words or hyphenated.

#63222 - 09 Oct 07 09:44 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Was that at the same place where they taught you how to say "Do you want fries with that?

#63261 - 10 Oct 07 07:41 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

Kuku, I was always taught never to hyphen words ending in -ly.

only fascist, anally-retentive provincial rubbish-wrappers would insist on not hymenating after -ly.

my rule? clarity. if it could cause confusion without the hymen, then use it.

#63263 - 10 Oct 07 07:50 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Should rubbish wrappers be hyphenated?

We also notice that you are pre-occupied with hymen related topics!

#63264 - 10 Oct 07 07:53 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Dilli
Should rubbish wrappers be hyphenated?

yes.

clarity, granpa, clarity.

Edited by KuKuKaChu (10 Oct 07 07:53)
Edit Reason: broken hymen

#63348 - 11 Oct 07 14:41 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: KuKuKaChu]
xiaoluen Offline
Member+

Loc: Indonesia, Jakarta
quite agree with Kuku have said about using hyphen

#63352 - 11 Oct 07 15:13 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: xiaoluen]
Pooh Bah

thanks xiao ... have i ever been wrong? huh? huh??

#63649 - 21 Oct 07 17:54 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pujangga

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
have i ever been wrong?

This one time, at band camp. And the roads.

#63996 - 28 Oct 07 15:48 Re: Local Publishers Publishing English Book [Re: kenyeung]
mia76 Offline

Loc: J-Town
Thank you so much everyone =) =)

And thanks for the grammar check too. My story wasn't about Hello Kitty stickers, but thanks for the idea. Anyway, if you ever decided to write in Indonesian, please be careful because yes people can steal your ideas. Most magazines will never publish your work. Some have ghost writers (who are probably cheaper than publishing stories from actual readers) who 're-write' ideas they get from readers. I know you probably don't believe me, but it happens. I can't name any names, though. Edit: Also be careful with the publishers. They never return your drafts, next thing you know you find out they publish a 'modified' version of your novel. So yeah, be careful.

PS: I can't really afford to publish on my own.

Edited by mia76 (28 Oct 07 15:50)

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop