Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 107 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105287 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
bless it up
A term used to tell someone to pray before an event.
bless it up so we can eat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6307 - 06 Apr 06 10:53 Keeping pets in indonesia.
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
This nearly had me wetting my pants. A Bule's view on getting and keeping pets!! Scroll down to "Gurustip's" post
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=37188

Peter Kay

Promotion
Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings
#6308 - 06 Apr 06 11:12 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Wetting your pants??? You naughty brother :-)but I like the post from Gugel...cat

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#6309 - 06 Apr 06 11:23 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
jok Offline
Member**

Loc: Jakarta
Macan Tutul, you are a big pet original Indonesia wink

#6310 - 06 Apr 06 11:24 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Magpie Offline
Member**

well ok, not wetting my pants but certainly wondering if my body could hold all the liquid in. Damn, when you get old like me, your bladder teeth and brain goes, so you end up like a wrinkly football that smells of urine and cant bite anything!! :-)

Peter Kay

#6311 - 06 Apr 06 11:39 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Quote:
Originally posted by Ela_K:
That was me but too big for a pet smile

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#6312 - 06 Apr 06 12:10 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Magpie Offline
Member**

Quote:
Originally posted by Macan Tutul:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ela_K:
That was me but too big for a pet smile
Am sure you would make a wonderful pet, nice big kitty like you! laugh

Peter Kay

#6313 - 06 Apr 06 13:10 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
g00f13 Offline
Member*

Loc: earth
Hallo MT sayang, have you got your smile back today?

#6314 - 06 Apr 06 14:08 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

My dear brother, I want to be your big pet!
Hi dear Goofy, yes I was, thank you because of you too.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#6315 - 02 May 06 14:03 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
kingwilly Offline

Loc: Jakarta
the link no longer works frown

does anyone have an old cached copy ?

#6316 - 02 May 06 21:20 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
yeah I wanna see too.The link doesnt work..
My dear husband thought it was cool to have piranhas . So we got some from that place-is it kartini? Anyway, where all the fish are .They were the ugliest things I ever saw in my life. I made him get rid of them in the end,( and he traded them for a baby grey shark. What IS IT about husbands they are soo ....THAT went as well)-but they were useful for eating the dead koi.Everday we had to go look at the damn piranhas in the backyard pond thingy. Its just they werent ideal pet for setting up home when pregnant and with a dog as well( who was so scared of anything anyway).
I just made do with the cichaks and the mozzies LOL.
His aunty has this massive old turtle-I thjoiught it was a rock at first! Its smelly though.

..take only what you need..

#6317 - 02 May 06 22:08 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
As requested:

Text in Full!

Indonesia's great for animals, you can get all sorts here, and they don't last long, which is even better!

Scabby cats are ten a penny. Who needs to take in strays, when for just a dollar you can buy a prime 'guaranteed high quality' specimen from the ojeg drivers on the corner. You might even get lucky and buy a blind one, or one with some strangely exotic and highly contagious skin disease. And it'll help you build a bond with the local community when you go back to replace Flaky Flaps, or whatever you call it, on a monthly basis.

Dogs are a little more expensive, and they need more food, but are great fun for scaring little kids on bikes, especially if you file their teeth to razor points and shave patches of hair off. If you some cats too, well that cuts down on the food bills...

If you want to go upmarket, there're plenty of 'tropical' options.

No birds fly freely here, because they've all died of bird flu. Hold on, I'm wrong... Oh yeah, they're all in cages! The bird market is really where your bargaining skills come into play: why buy just one? Just go to the guys outside the shoppping malls with bird cages and buy five - then you'll get one for free, and maybe a sweet discount on a 30cm-square cage to put them all in! For an extra few thousand rupiah, you might get them all colour co-ordinated in pink, blue, yellow or whatever other colours you can get permanent markers in.

The lower maintenance, less contagious, though less cuddly, option is the snake. Available again from the mall-front entrepeneurs, these are the masculine alternative to kittens, and will surely dazzle all visitors to your house. The best time to get one of these bad boys is on a Friday or Saturday evening in the city centre, when there are many Western Shrivelled Trouser Snakes (Buleus floppius) on the prowl, looking for some chicken. Be careful not to let it escape in a public area, as it is likely to be hammered flat by a scared pembantu, or have all of the blood sucked out of it by a Chinese man in search of extra 'oomph'.

The true connoiseur of the pet market will love to take the opportunity to raise a primate here. For less than a bag of monkey nuts, you can buy a whole monkey, nuts intact. THis season's monkey fashion essential is arguably the 'Spongebob Squarepants' babygro, though for a little more you can go upmarket and get one with an Air Supply t-shirt. The life expectancy of a pet monkey is notably short here, as they seem to be bred without an immune system, though will be able to give any children nearby a good respiratory disorder as they are humping its leg.

For the pet lover on a tight time-frame, goats are a good way to go. Prime goat-buying season is about a month or so after Ramadhan, and you won't have time to form too close a bond with it before you have to say goodbye. Soon after you have named it, had the vet remove all of its expensive yet invisible parasites and got in some good goat-style quality time, your neighbours will hop the fence in the dead of night, stealthily making as much noise as possible as they wrestle it free of its chain. If you're not up by the crack of dawn the next morning, it's too late - poor Billy (I'm sure your name will be a whole pile more imaginitive) will have been chopped up and distributed to the locals.

Not to worry about the boring old land-dwellers, though. Indonesia is surrounded by water, and that water is filled with wonderful potential pets.

First off is the easily-kept Jakartan Brown Trout (Turdinina turdina). To get hold of one of these friendly chaps, wait for some local boys to go swimming in the stream and carefully pluck one from their hair. Keep them in a well-ventilated pond or in a cup of tea in the staffroom fridge, if you want to extend their lifespan.

Once you have mastered the low-demand fish species, it's time for a step up into the world of turtles. Turtles are endangered everywhere in the world except Indonesia. How do I know that? Because I asked a man who was selling one.
"Is it OK to sell these?"
"Oh yes Mister, very OK. You want?"
And that, of course, is conclusive proof of the acceptability of buying and selling turtles. These pets will set you back a great deal, perhaps enough to feed a whole family of turtle-catchers for a month, but they will give you a free black plastic bag to carry it home in. Turtles truly are a challenge to keep alive, but don't worry - their shells make great souvenirs, and you can bulk-send stuff home for next to nothing. The perfect coffee-table ornament, next to the collection of coral.

Indonesia is truly wonderful for the pet lover.

#6318 - 02 May 06 22:47 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
who wanna be my pet?

#6319 - 03 May 06 07:15 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

You can have an Oil Dude pet, who will keep digging holes in your back garden and peeing up your fence...

Or you can have a cute cuddly Polar Bear who will keep you warm at night.....

smile

#6320 - 03 May 06 07:26 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

PB's my pet, I used to cuddle with my big teddy bear smile

Do u want a cage?

#6321 - 03 May 06 07:34 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Sorry Oil Dude......

#6322 - 03 May 06 12:16 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
What are you sorry for? You'll be in a cage!

#6323 - 03 May 06 13:56 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
What are you sorry for? You'll be in a cage!
Have to wail everytime got heat, asking for polar bear female to be provided by the master.
Seeing the master having sex in front of him ignorantly, without letting him go off the cage and let the pet join in.
Nice life smile

#6324 - 03 May 06 14:35 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Quote:
Originally posted by Ena:
yeah I wanna see too.The link doesnt work..
My dear husband thought it was cool to have piranhas . So we got some from that place-is it kartini? Anyway, where all the fish are .They were the ugliest things I ever saw in my life. I made him get rid of them in the end,( and he traded them for a baby grey shark. What IS IT about husbands they are soo ....THAT went as well)-but they were useful for eating the dead koi.Everday we had to go look at the damn piranhas in the backyard pond thingy. Its just they werent ideal pet for setting up home when pregnant and with a dog as well( who was so scared of anything anyway).
I just made do with the cichaks and the mozzies LOL.
His aunty has this massive old turtle-I thjoiught it was a rock at first! Its smelly though.
Eeekkk Cicaks? I don't like cicaks and any reptiles.
LOL!
Ena if you wonder why husbands are so....
I always tell my man, if they ever get any reptiles for pet, they would never see me again ever smile .
I had six dogs last time, they are funny!
Yeah they really have characters.
Coward one. Ever know a dog who go inside the cage willingly when a stranger come in to the house? Whimpering inside, giving loathing look to the guest because she tries hard already before it, barking, prevent the guest for come in to the house.
Self conscious one, especially when he done something wrong. I would know when he done it, he wouldn't greet me as usual when I get home, rather he just look at me, and run immidietally hiding his head under my Japanese table, still standing on his hinder legs(he's a golden retriever, it's difficult for him to hide below the table). It's really a view...LOL, never get angry to him because of that.
Very smart and naughty one, she could always escape from her cage in so many ways, even it's locked. She destroy every cage I buy,...damn she just a little daschund!
Think can open the door by her hard sniffings one.
Dragging her sleeping bed around at night in the house just to get beside me one.
Never get attracted to a female dog one. I think he's a gay dog...LOL.

#6325 - 03 May 06 14:35 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Laluna, PB is my pet, so I am the master, who is polar bear female?

#6326 - 03 May 06 14:43 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
It's your job to find matting partner for your pet! Don't ask me that....LOL
Ummmm, since your pet like oriental look and chubby ones so much, why don't you get a female Panda? I think you could create a new bear breed, and get a noble prize for that... smile

#6327 - 03 May 06 18:18 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Ena Offline
Member*

LOL Laluna.

#6328 - 03 May 06 18:23 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Ena Offline
Member*

and thanks for the paste dilli. That was really funny.

#6329 - 03 May 06 18:52 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Quote:
Originally posted by laluna:
Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
It's your job to find matting partner for your pet! Don't ask me that....LOL
Ummmm, since your pet like oriental look and chubby ones so much, why don't you get a female Panda? I think you could create a new bear breed, and get a noble prize for that... smile
You could also make money for matting your pet smile Last time, my naughty daschund get so many suitors (banyak yang ngelamar lho...hehehe), she's very unique one for a daschund breed, as white as snow fur and some black spots, pink nose, grey bluish eyes. Too bad it's female, if it's male, usually the master would pay us some amount of money depends on the breed. You get a rare breed there, a male polar bear, you should make lot of money from him, you want me to put on the advertisement for him to get matting partner? smile

#6330 - 03 May 06 18:57 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Hmm, I'll think about it, now I enjoy keeping him in the cage and molesting the sausage whenever I want smile

#6331 - 03 May 06 19:39 Re: Keeping pets in indonesia.
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Dilli can sit in the cage and watch whilst you molest the sausage.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website