Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62795 - 02 Oct 07 19:15 TEMPO/Government to Publish New History Book
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Government to Publish New History Book
Tuesday, 02 October, 2007 | 16:43 WIB

Tempo Interactive, Jakarta: The government will soon publish a new history book to replace the history books of junior and senior high schools that have been withdrawn from circulation. The government is still completing the process of writing it, which is more in accordance with the law.

“The evaluation process by the National Education Standard Agency has been completed. What remains is waiting,” said National Education Minister Bambang Sudibyo after the commemoration of Pancasila Sanctity Day at Pancasila Monument yesterday (1/10).

Earlier, the government withdrew history books that did not include the word “PKI” (the defunct Indonesia Communist Party) after the September 30 Movement (G30S). The government considered this as concealing the fact.

Bambang acknowledged protests from the circles that claimed misinformation. “Then we checked and it's true. There are books that did not describe the history as it should be and this is against the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR’s) decision,” said Bambang.

In addition, the description of the withdrawn history books is against legal products that have become positive law, such as the Extraordinary Military Court's decision. “And that's AGO's basis for withdrawing the books from circulation,” said Bambang.

As it is considered opposing existing law, Coordinating Minister for People's Welfare, who was then Alwi Shihab, held a meeting to discuss the matter.

The meeting's conclusion, said Bambang, is that the National Education Minister is to write a letter asking AGO to withdraw the books from circulation.

FANNY FEBIANA

#62798 - 02 Oct 07 20:12 Re: TEMPO/Government to Publish New History Book [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
cukup jelas.

#62800 - 02 Oct 07 20:18 Re: TEMPO/Government to Publish New History Book [Re: kenyeung]
Pooh Bah

wink bit obscure, ken ... only those of us who have read the indonesian-language appendices (penjelasan) to indonesian laws would know what you were referring to!

#62804 - 02 Oct 07 20:53 Re: TEMPO/Government to Publish New History Book [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
On that subject I broke my glasses reading this! Does anyone know where I can buy some super glue to repair them?

#62823 - 03 Oct 07 06:59 Re: TEMPO/Government to Publish New History Book [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

I broke my credulity reading this! Does anyone know where I can buy some disbelief-suspension jamu to repair it?

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop