Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62685 - 01 Oct 07 17:37 Gengsi
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Whilst I doubt you will read it - here is a definition in kitchen javanese .

Gengsi asale saka istilah Arab ghinsi (martabat utawa kedhudhukan), sing dipopulerake dening Rosihan Anwar ing Majalah Siasat banjur tembung gengsi padha diucapake tumeka saiki. Jaman saiki, istilah gengsi maknane wis beda-beda. Senajan miturut Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia, tembung gengsi kasebut dienggo minangka gantine tembung sanak keluarga la nasal keturunan, nanging makna sing luwih merakyat yaiku kehormatan, pengaruh, harga dhiri, reputasi utawa prestasi.

Gengsi miturut batasan awam yaiku gaya hidup komsumtif, katon sugih utawa malah sugih brewu. Ing antarane uga ana sing esksklusif utawa “lain dari pada yang lain”, gemerlapan klawan materi kang regane larang lan lux (mewah). Kabeh sing regane larang banjur padha diwastani ‘bergengsi’.

#62686 - 01 Oct 07 18:10 Re: Gengsi [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Good one, Kenyeung sent me a PM several hours ago in "kitchen English". It does indeed seem to originate from Arabic.

#62688 - 01 Oct 07 20:13 Re: Gengsi [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
here is the reply in Dillanese

pokjdv[OIAEJF NV;shfIPOUEHjehngpUJFOuhhpLKJIPOijgjpaiij dilli /jrklhgr[ijg[L,L'L
';JBGGHBIUHIUHOIJ :STAB:

DKJHEUIIE97864T3`987Y45=0

english speaking forum!

Edited by Dilli (01 Oct 07 20:15)

#63061 - 05 Oct 07 21:49 Re: Gengsi [Re: Dilli]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
javanese speaking bule.

That's pretty cool. Wonder how good you speak in real life, Capt

#63067 - 06 Oct 07 07:36 Re: Gengsi [Re: Shesca]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Only one way to find out!

How many javanese do you know that speak good javanese? all the javanese near me (chinese ones included) pretty much without exception speak Ngoko in all situations, they only know Ngoko, which isn't a situation conducive for good learning. I'm reduced to learning from schoolbooks for 7 year olds at the moment.

As much as it should be possible to just speak BI where I live, in day to day life javanese is a necessity (I'm sure that Patung also finds the same thing)

I have to confess that as much as I would like to go to somewhere like Jogja and study both Indonesian and Kromo Inggil I really can't to afford to do so -

Anyway that's bored the arse out of everyone seeing that this is an English Only Forum.

#63072 - 06 Oct 07 07:50 Re: Gengsi [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I would not worry Shesca, he never shows up anyway

#63074 - 06 Oct 07 07:54 Re: Gengsi [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Dilli

shy, retiring type, is Our Cap'n.

#63075 - 06 Oct 07 07:54 Re: Gengsi [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Cheeky sod - why don't you lot stir yourselves and come down to visit then? You never write , you never phone, I'm beginning to think you don't care .

#63076 - 06 Oct 07 07:58 Re: Gengsi [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
Quoting: Dilli

shy, retiring type, is Our Cap'n.

True- I'm not the usual expat , I don't go out boozing , and I certainly don't go out upsetting people like Hasan and "Big Daddy" Ong .

#63077 - 06 Oct 07 07:58 Re: Gengsi [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

We are scared, I mean there are still headhunters where you stay!

#63078 - 06 Oct 07 08:11 Re: Gengsi [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Not at all- we are a most refined bunch -

#63082 - 06 Oct 07 13:30 Re: Gengsi [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I have a household full of Javenese speakers at the moment and I don't understand a word. I think they prefer it that way. It's all very conspiratorial if you ask me. I like the sound of it though. They all flutter around chirping like little birds. Except for that fat one.

#63083 - 06 Oct 07 13:43 Re: Gengsi [Re: Piss Salon]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
T. Rex speaks all levels of jawa - get some lessons for the cost of a bintang.

#63084 - 06 Oct 07 13:50 Re: Gengsi [Re: kenyeung]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

And a coating of "hujan local".

#63098 - 06 Oct 07 16:17 Re: Gengsi [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Piss Salon
I have a household full of Javenese speakers at the moment and I don't understand a word. I think they prefer it that way. It's all very conspiratorial if you ask me. I like the sound of it though. They all flutter around chirping like little birds. Except for that fat one.

I assume that the fat one chirps but doesn't do that much fluttering.

I felt the same way 10 years back, however I now realise that it was a necessity rather than free choice - it seemed at the time nice to understand what the buggers are rattling on about, now I realise that seaking Indo in east jawa is about as much use a chocolate teapot.

Beware of the slang though , you can get in real trouble with that :-

"opo iki bego? lampu bangjo durung nyala abang"

"wong iki duwe manuk sing dowo"

"Wedhok iki duwe tempik sing cilik"

#63099 - 06 Oct 07 16:29 Re: Gengsi [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Will give them a whirl after gf gets back from doing all the shopping, packing groceries away, cooking meal for Chewwie and co and then cleaning up. This after a day of cooking breakfast and cleaning house.

Sometimes its nice to be invalided.

Cracked and tried them early. You are now banned from communicating with me further. I was told I could not learn Bahasa Jelek.

#63100 - 06 Oct 07 16:46 Re: Gengsi [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

It is the best way to make a start (though clearly Mrs. Salon is going to take some convincing)

Actually the first one is quite useful when conversing with Officers of the Law who may imply that you jumped a red light , though you may want to drop the "opo iki bego?" bit and substitute "ore iso mudheng Pakdhe - duitnya seked ewu cukup inggih?

I mean "kados pundi wartosipun?" and "Sae kemawon" or "Kula wangsul rumiyin, monggo" and "ndherekaken" are hardly going to nyalakan lilinmu (not that in your condition you need to hangatkan your nafsu)

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (06 Oct 07 16:55)
Edit Reason: can't remember what cukup is in boso jowo

#63101 - 06 Oct 07 17:13 Re: Gengsi [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ok, you lost me.

Like I do the cops when they signal me to stop after running a red light.

What's bojo for 'catch me if you can you fat, greedy fuck wearing a brown uniform two sizes too small'?

#63106 - 06 Oct 07 18:43 Re: Gengsi [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Well , in that case leave the "opo iki bego?" bit in and add

"ayo golek aku kowe sing lemu lan kesed, kowe duwe sandhangan cilik"

Or try

"ayo kimpet"

Not entirely accurate , but I'm not entirely javanese.

#63111 - 06 Oct 07 19:12 Re: Gengsi [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

If all this braying of "tempik cilik, tempik, tempik, mosok arek wedhok ngentutan" is failing to impress the missus, just tell her: wong wedhok kiwi konco wingkingeh wong lanang. And make sure her marriage vows contain the clause: "dapur, sumur dan kasur".

#63114 - 06 Oct 07 19:38 Re: Gengsi [Re: kenyeung]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Loc: at my desk
Dasar edan kabeh!

Ken, wong wedhok kuwi dudu' konco wingkinge wong lanang. wis ketinggalan jaman iku. Opo maneh "dapur, sumur, kasur"? mbok sekalian bubur.

#63117 - 06 Oct 07 19:59 Re: Gengsi [Re: bonita]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Several years ago I wrote something like "Riccardo's Guide to Speaking Indonesian, Javanese and Ramadhan Slang"... Will have to see if I still have it.

Edited by kenyeung (06 Oct 07 21:15)

#63124 - 07 Oct 07 07:27 Re: Gengsi [Re: bonita]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: bonita
Dasar edan kabeh!

Ken, wong wedhok kuwi dudu' konco wingkinge wong lanang. wis ketinggalan jaman iku. Opo maneh "dapur, sumur, kasur"? mbok sekalian bubur.

Nggak ketinggalan , iki isih berlaku .

Ojo campur boso jowo sing halus karo sing kasar.

"Dasar kowe kabeh"

Quoting: Kenny

Several years ago I wrote something like "Riccardo's Guide to Speaking Indonesian, Javanese and Ramadhan Slang"... Will have to see if I still have it.

If it was anything like the guide to Indonesian swearing that was posted , I'm not sure that it is a good idea.

#63125 - 07 Oct 07 07:33 Re: Gengsi [Re: kenyeung]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: kenyeung

yeah, we all know how good you are at archiving things.

#63128 - 07 Oct 07 07:40 Re: Gengsi [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

"If it was anything like the guide to Indonesian swearing that was posted , I'm not sure that it is a good idea."

Who would post such a thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop