Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62376 - 28 Sep 07 06:13 Am I a bit slow?
Troppo Offline

Loc: Jababeka Java Indonesia
Gday Everyone,
I have been living in Indonesia for 10 years and just stumbled on JakChat when I was searching for Yaudah's phone number.
Am I a bit slow or does this site need more publicity?

#62378 - 28 Sep 07 06:27 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: Troppo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
This site has only been running for a couple of years. At first glance it may appear rather infantile, but on closer inspection it is actually very infantile. So it ought to be more widely known and popular. As for la publicité, KuKu can field that one. Over to you KuKu.

PS - Good luck in getting a date with the waitress at Yaudah.

#62380 - 28 Sep 07 06:45 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: kenyeung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Acute accents- I am glad to took the trouble to correctly use accents in your post - many people just can't be arsed when writing Forum French.

#62381 - 28 Sep 07 06:51 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Glad to meet you Troppo, I concur with Keny (without the accents) but I am sure there will be plenty to amuse/disgust/interest you within the site.

The Captain can be ignored as he is not a real copy editor!

#62390 - 28 Sep 07 07:37 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
publicity? i'm getting to it, really. i'll do an email bomb next month, 20,000 addresses. should get us at least one new regular.

late this year there will also be a promo for JakChat in a Richard Mann book on "living in jakarta".

the big neon JakChat sign in jalan jaksa needs a major makeover, and hopefully i'll get around to that soon.

what else?? hmmm ... i'm open to suggestions ...

#62394 - 28 Sep 07 07:46 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
attracting the attention of a senior government official and having the police try to drag you off should get good coverage in the media ...

#62396 - 28 Sep 07 07:48 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: chewwyUK]
Pooh Bah

i get attention from senior govt officials and police literally every single day. the media here could not give a fuck, especially where it involves a white foreigner.

#62398 - 28 Sep 07 07:53 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
publicity? i'm getting to it, really. i'll do an email bomb next month, 20,000 addresses. should get us at least one new regular.

late this year there will also be a promo for JakChat in a Richard Mann book on "living in jakarta".

the big neon JakChat sign in jalan jaksa needs a major makeover, and hopefully i'll get around to that soon.

what else?? hmmm ... i'm open to suggestions ...

Suggestions? the shack that the big neon sign is attached to also needs a major makeover - you never mentioned that the insurance company didn't pay out for the gas explosion that has clearly afflicted the place.

I firmly believe that Okusi Towers should be on at least 6 floors with chrome and glass and marble etc - gives a sense of confidence to customers - as it stands there is a certain "Scenes from Tenko" aura about the place.

#62403 - 28 Sep 07 08:03 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

you will be happy to know capt. that okusi has acquired a new tower in jalan jaksa. not the 5-storey ruko we were hoping for, but rather the large house/office next to le margot hotel that used to be an accountant's office.

#62405 - 28 Sep 07 08:06 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: Troppo]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Troppo
Am I a bit slow

yes.

Quoting: Troppo
or does this site need more publicity?

and yes.

and welcome aboard. bout fucking time.

#62408 - 28 Sep 07 09:34 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
We're all slow in comparison to Tyson Gay.

#62410 - 28 Sep 07 10:09 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: riccardo]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
slow but sure....i kinda like it.

#62476 - 28 Sep 07 20:29 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: juminten]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
"Richard Mann book on "living in jakarta"."

lol.. can't wait for his latest masterpiece......

#62483 - 28 Sep 07 20:57 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: naga]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: naga
"Richard Mann book on "living in jakarta"." lol.. can't wait for his latest masterpiece......

When Suharto was still president, the Richard Mann books were often the only "books in English about Indonesia" for sale in Jakarta bookstores. They were grim times, although I always liked the aptness of the term "a clown on the streets of Jakarta" - and for a while took to saying "saya bukan badut" until my grammar was corrected.

Edited by kenyeung (28 Sep 07 21:01)
Edit Reason: clowns

#62492 - 28 Sep 07 21:26 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Keny, what is now considered the "Definitive Book" (not being obtuse or cheeky) I would like to know in order that I can educate myself more.

Indonesia astounds me at times! 1/2 Good the other half WTF!

#62493 - 28 Sep 07 21:27 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: kenyeung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Isn't the Mann-ster the owner of QB books though? He hjad to open a book store just to make sure his own mediocre pot boilers would be on sale somewhere. Shit..Have I got that wrong? Is that Richard Oh? or Sandra Oh? or Bobby Crush? I'm confused

#62497 - 28 Sep 07 22:07 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: kenyeung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: kenyeung
"Richard Mann book on "living in jakarta"." lol.. can't wait for his latest masterpiece......

When Suharto was still president, the Richard Mann books were often the only "books in English about Indonesia" for sale in Jakarta bookstores. They were grim times, although I always liked the aptness of the term "a clown on the streets of Jakarta" - and for a while took to saying "saya bukan badut" until my grammar was corrected.

Grim times? I think not Kenny. We never had it so good , I would personally have the old chap back , at least we knew where we stood (apart from the tonic water shortage)

#62498 - 28 Sep 07 22:16 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

you will be happy to know capt. that okusi has acquired a new tower in jalan jaksa. not the 5-storey ruko we were hoping for, but rather the large house/office next to le margot hotel that used to be an accountant's office.

Excellent news . What will they do with the old place? I am sure there are many treasures buried under the crust of dried bakso and indo mie . They should get that Tony Robinson chap in to excavate , he may even find your birth certificate under a fossilized dinosaurs. Anyhow enough frivolity , I wish you well to wear it.

#62502 - 29 Sep 07 05:58 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Grim times? I think not Kenny. We never had it so good , I would personally have the old chap back , at least we knew where we stood (apart from the tonic water shortage)

Those who yearn for a return to the good ole days of repression, harsh crackdowns on the press, the murder of pro-democracy activists and scant availability of good books could always move to Myanmar (not sure about the tonic water situation there though).

#62507 - 29 Sep 07 06:43 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: naga]
Pooh Bah

"Richard Mann book on "living in jakarta"."

lol.. can't wait for his latest masterpiece......

he's written 70 books ... i'm sure that aren't *all* masterpieces!

#62509 - 29 Sep 07 06:46 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: kenyeung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: kenyeung

Those who yearn for a return to the good ole days of repression, harsh crackdowns on the press, the murder of pro-democracy activists and scant availability of good books could always move to Myanmar (not sure about the tonic water situation there though).

Ah yes , democracy, just explain to me again just how that works.

#62510 - 29 Sep 07 06:48 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: Roy's Hair]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Roy's hair
Isn't the Mann-ster the owner of QB books though? He hjad to open a book store just to make sure his own mediocre pot boilers would be on sale somewhere. Shit..Have I got that wrong? Is that Richard Oh? or Sandra Oh? or Bobby Crush? I'm confused

you're probably thinking of kerry b. collison, author of indonesia-orientated fiction, including merdeka square, the timor man, jakarta, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

#62512 - 29 Sep 07 07:03 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

Excellent news . What will they do with the old place?

well, i intend to keep the old place for the next few years. but in the longer term, after Carrefour have built their supermarket, yet another hotel will be built here.

#62513 - 29 Sep 07 07:04 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Roy's hair

you're probably thinking of kerry b. collison, author of indonesia-orientated fiction, including merdeka square, the timor man, jakarta, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Old Ross Mackay has written some classics , at least if you have lost your axle stands he has.

#62517 - 29 Sep 07 07:29 Re: Am I a bit slow? [Re: Dilli]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Dilli
Keny, what is now considered the "Definitive Book" (not being obtuse or cheeky) I would like to know in order that I can educate myself more.Indonesia astounds me at times! 1/2 Good the other half WTF!

There's no "definitive" book, but I can suggest a nice reading list:

Pramoedya Ananta Toer's Buru Quartet.
Clifford Geertz's The Religion of Java.
Sukarno Autobiography by Cindy Adams.
Herb Feith and Lance Castle's Indonesian Political Thinking 1945-65.
Benedict Anderson and Ruth McVey's Cornell paper on the October 1, 1965 Coup in Indonesia.
David Jenkins' Suharto and his Generals.
Benny Moerdani biography by Julius Poor.
Buying the Business by Bertram Henry (hilarious novel on bules - British, French, Yanks in the oil business in Indonesia, winner of PG Wodehouse Award, lost my copy after lending it to a friend who died. Maybe out of print now, but available on ebay, amazon)
The Open Cage by Dan Start.
Adam Schwarz's Nation in Waiting (updated edition).
John Martinkus' two books on Timor and Aceh.
There's yet to be a definitive book on events from 1998-2005.
Anything by the following scholars is worth reading: Dan Lev, Bill Liddle, Tim Lindsay, Gerry van Klinken, Damien Kingsbury, Ed Aspinall.

And there's always Kerry Collison's novels for light reading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop