Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62332 - 27 Sep 07 16:32 JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
At last, our Sutiyoso comes clean: he wants to be president. i have direct information that he is being backed by the military establishment, led by a ginger-group of retired generals with absolutely impeccable OrBa credentials. Go Sooty!

Sutiyoso hints at presidential run

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Outgoing Jakarta Governor Sutiyoso hinted Wednesday at a run in the 2009 presidential election, saying several parties had approached him about running.

"But I don't want to be reckless. I'm realistic. If the parties do not meet the requirements, I'll say, 'Sorry, I'm not in,'" he told The Jakarta Post at his office.

Although a representative of a coalition of 10 small political parties dismissed reports of a plan to nominate Sutiyoso for the 2009 election, at least one major party has indicated a possible interest in the governor.

Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) advisory board chairman Taufik Kiemas said Wednesday the party was still "making a shopping list of candidates" to run with the party's chairwoman, Megawati Soekarnoputri, in the presidential race.

Megawati served as president from 2002 to 2004, when she lost the election to Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

"PDI-P is still looking for suitable figures from political parties, mass organizations, religious organizations, the Indonesian Military and the country's eastern regions to be Megawati's running mate," said Taufik, who is also Megawati's husband, during a breaking of the fast gathering.

"The name will be announced in February, simultaneously with the announcement of their prospective Cabinet lineup."

Taufik said the party would likely enter into a coalition with other parties for the 2009 presidential election.

Sources have said that Megawati wants Sutiyoso as her running mate, but Sutiyoso is hesitant because he wants to make his own run at the presidential office.

Ruyandi Hutasoit, chairman of the minority Prosperous Peace Party (PDS), said its coalition of 10 parties had yet to make any decisions on the 2009 presidential election.

"Perhaps the idea (of nominating Sutiyoso) has been raised by the 14 (major) political parties that will try to contest the 2009 elections," he told the Post.

#62333 - 27 Sep 07 16:49 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
A busway for every village and iron bars around every village park.

#62351 - 27 Sep 07 20:42 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: riccardo]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
he has the smae chance as Wiranto...FUCK ALL

Despite Indonesia's plethora of shortcomings, the electorate has proven to be mature enough to consistently reject orbar thugs...

#62352 - 27 Sep 07 20:46 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: naga]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Are you sure? Seems that quite a few of them still exert a "fair bit of muscle"

#62353 - 27 Sep 07 20:47 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

A mature elecorate that has consistenly proven it can be bought by empty promises and a bag full off "Party" goodies?

#62354 - 27 Sep 07 20:48 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Hmmm..

#62355 - 27 Sep 07 21:20 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I also notice that although you are online you have possibly viewed these posts and have not responded.

In honesty, we as expats can no more predict how voters will run than trust the local weather forecast!

The future of Indonesia is off course for Indonesians to decide. Second guessing how they decide is impossible in this country!

Until we as guest's accept that, we will have learned nothing about what "drives" the populace!

#62356 - 27 Sep 07 21:23 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

And I have a potential US% 40-50 Million Dollars woth of business dependant upon how people vote!

Asked for a 4-6 year projection, it is understandable when my Board of Directors questions my "vaugeness"

#62357 - 27 Sep 07 21:59 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: naga]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: naga
he has the smae chance as Wiranto...FUCK ALL

Despite Indonesia's plethora of shortcomings, the electorate has proven to be mature enough to consistently reject orbar thugs...

i would not be too sure about that.

#62358 - 27 Sep 07 22:03 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Dilli
In honesty, we as expats can no more predict how voters will run than trust the local weather forecast!

i would not be too sure about that.

#62365 - 27 Sep 07 23:06 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
...when my Board of Directors questions my "vaugeness"

I too question your vaugeness.

#62367 - 28 Sep 07 03:15 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Patung]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
"I also notice that although you are online you have possibly viewed these posts and have not responded."

Are you stalking me?

"A mature elecorate that has consistenly proven it can be bought by empty promises and a bag full off "Party" goodies?"

Any electorate can be bought by empty promises...

"Seems that quite a few of them still exert a "fair bit of muscle"

of course, but they aren't democratically elected...

There has been surprising election results at provincial levels throughout the archipelago in the last two years, but most of the stiffs on this site would not have been monitoring them.

The 2004 Presidential pilkada proved 'they' are capable of independent thought; yes, this is Indo and standards must be adjusted accordingly, but compare the last two Indonesian Presidential elections with the last two American ones and compare the results.....food for thought

#62369 - 28 Sep 07 04:55 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Patung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Patung

Sorry, should have clarified, further investment in Indonesia is part of our plan for the future. This will of course be determined by stability within the Oil & Gas Sector.

Currently, there are mixed signals coming from the government and BP MIGAS in regards to how that "future" looks.

When asked about the most probable "scenario's" over the next few years, it is impossible to predict, mainly due to the way the current government is "flip/flopping" on issues and what actions any future government would take.

#62374 - 28 Sep 07 06:08 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: Patung

Sorry, should have clarified, further investment in Indonesia is part of our plan for the future. This will of course be determined by stability within the Oil & Gas Sector.

Currently, there are mixed signals coming from the government and BP MIGAS in regards to how that "future" looks.

When asked about the most probable "scenario's" over the next few years, it is impossible to predict, mainly due to the way the current government is "flip/flopping" on issues and what actions any future government would take.

That was a Riccardo'esque reply from Patung there - unusual for Soerobaja boys to attempt the dark arts (unless late at night in and around Tretes).

Take another look.

#62382 - 28 Sep 07 06:55 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

My orignal post was a Captainesque response fuelled by the fact that yesterday I finished a 4 year forward plan and in the section marked "Political Stability" I was unable to give an answer which the powers in the USA would understand / accept.

That and 10 Bintangs....

#62395 - 28 Sep 07 07:47 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Your company asks you for an opinion on political stability in Indonesia? Notwithstanding your capability to provide the information, do they not have CNN? or is it that under your rough crusty exterior, there lies an international man of mystery who has in fact infiltrated the highest orders of government by applying liberal quantities of cherry blossom and frequently farting then falling asleep?

PS, would you contract for primrose and what is your opinion on CNOOC?

#62399 - 28 Sep 07 07:57 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

You lost me on Primrose but I have clearly defined views on CNOOC.

They are not on my "approved customer list"

#62400 - 28 Sep 07 08:00 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Indonesian affairs of state often baffle and confuse me, certainly in the Oil & Gas sector, however, the political chess game being played is better understood by Indonesians who then relay the information back to me.

Some of it is in the public domain, other bits, like who's uncle is this guy, which company will win the next big contract, who's taking how much etc. are most certainly not available on CNN or through Google

#62401 - 28 Sep 07 08:01 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

OK , if you had known the name you would have got it - same as me making reference to shock absorbers .

CNOOC? Bou how ? (Riccardo will help with that bit)

#62402 - 28 Sep 07 08:02 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Indonesian affairs of state often baffle and confuse me, certainly in the Oil & Gas sector, however, the political chess game being played is better understood by Indonesians who then relay the information back to me.

Some of it is in the public domain, other bits, like who's uncle is this guy, which company will win the next big contract, who's taking how much etc. are most certainly not available on CNN or through Google

No , of course not , these bits of info are commonly written on the back of a $1000 bill.

#62404 - 28 Sep 07 08:04 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

A competitor off mine won a contract with an un-named Chinese Oil Company for the supply of some very expensive and hi-tech kit.

This company, used a number of these assemblies, shipped two sets of this kit to China, reverse engineered it and now there is no further need to purchase said kit from western companies.

I don't think I'll bother helping them engineer their equipment for them

#62451 - 28 Sep 07 14:15 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Sutiyoso is a corrupt thug who should be executed for his crimes. He is also short and ugly.

There, I said it.

#62454 - 28 Sep 07 14:17 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

piss, stop beating about the bush and get to the fucking point.

#62560 - 29 Sep 07 11:55 Re: JP/Sutiyoso hints at presidential run [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Piss Salon
Sutiyoso is a corrupt thug who should be executed for his crimes. He is also short and ugly.

There, I said it.

Steady up with the short and ugly - you may end up hurting a few peoples feelings

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop