Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62005 - 25 Sep 07 09:01 AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Clearly, there are many Indonesians studying in Britain! smile

Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:16pm AEST

Foreign students visiting Britain are to be educated in the etiquette of queuing for buses, after local users complained about them not observing the conventions of standing in line.

Southern Vectis, which operates buses on the Isle of Wight off England's south coast, said it was to contact local language schools following several complaints about the behaviour of young students over the summer months.

"On the Isle of Wight we get lots of foreign language students staying with families," operations manager March Morgan Huws said.

"In their cultures, they do not queue for buses where they live and there is a scrum every time a bus turns up, while in British culture there is a nice orderly queue.

"We have had quite a few complaints from residents who queue up in an orderly fashion then all those foreign students push past them.

"What we have said is that we will work with the language schools to provide some instructions on the etiquette of queuing. We won't be marching the students up and down showing them how to queue, we will just leave it up to the group leaders to pass on the information."

Orderly queuing - as seen during the recent Northern Rock banking crisis - is seen as a quintessentially British convention. One social anthropologist believes Britons are even capable of forming one-person queues at bus stops.

- AFP

#62075 - 25 Sep 07 20:35 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: KuKuKaChu]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Loc: melbourne australia
geez, what a way to get payback for all that colonialism.

you let them have it language students. for all the times they screwed your country over.

hit em where it hurts.

#62076 - 25 Sep 07 21:38 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: yourfather]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
for the life of me, i still can't work out why Asians haven't worked out the lining up concept, and don't get me started on the lift/bus/elevator thing......

#62087 - 26 Sep 07 07:21 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: naga]
Pooh Bah

hey, asians aren't alone in not understanding the queueing concept! i've seen no small number of USAmericans with the same problem. possibly because the word "queue" has not yet entered the american dialect.

#62089 - 26 Sep 07 08:02 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
While I am the first to admit that British colonialism had a dark side you have to remember that the everybody was at it back then. Have a look around you will agree that the British did a better job than most

#62092 - 26 Sep 07 08:22 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Where were you in the queue when looks were given out?

dilli

#62095 - 26 Sep 07 08:28 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

right at the front being given a double helping of cute and sexy. I also slipped the guy a few quid and told him not to give any to the Scottish twat at the back

#62114 - 26 Sep 07 10:09 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Now now chaps. Let's have some penguin solidarity.

#62119 - 26 Sep 07 10:34 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: Roy's Hair]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
I think this discussion has gone far enough and is not going anywhere, at least on this blog.

I’m sure that naga and chewwyUK will be happy to take up the thread in Treespotter’s blog.

I’m locking the posting from further comments.

#62125 - 26 Sep 07 10:55 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
i've seen no small number of USAmericans with the same problem. possibly because the word "queue" has not yet entered the american dialect.

We use the phrasal verb "to line up". But that's not really pertinent anyway, because, you see, we are the sole superpower. We have the most guns and are thus not required to wait in line like the rest of you commonfolk.

#62126 - 26 Sep 07 11:00 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

i knew there was an explanation!

#62127 - 26 Sep 07 11:01 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: chewwyUK
Have a look around you will agree that the British did a better job than most

Of course, that is about THE most well-worn cliche ever.

Anyway, whether it has ANY basis in fact is irrelevant. It's like saying Krakow wasn't as bad as Auschwitz because in Krakow, they actually allowed the prisoners to eat the flesh off their fellow prisoners who had already died, as opposed to Auschwitz, where they had to eat other stuff to survive.

#62129 - 26 Sep 07 11:09 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I thought you only lined up when you were "pulling a train"

#62156 - 26 Sep 07 12:38 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: Dilli]
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Oh i thought we are good in lining up...the lined up cars every traffic hours, and also this morning lined up cars watching accident on the other side of tol road...we are good...

#62204 - 26 Sep 07 21:08 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: Lulu]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
kenyeung,

you fucking pussy...

#62207 - 26 Sep 07 21:19 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Clearly, there are many Indonesians studying in Britain! smile

Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:16pm AEST

Foreign students visiting Britain are to be educated in the etiquette of queuing for buses, after local users complained about them not observing the conventions of standing in line.

Southern Vectis, which operates buses on the Isle of Wight off England's south coast, said it was to contact local language schools following several complaints about the behaviour of young students over the summer months.

"On the Isle of Wight we get lots of foreign language students staying with families," operations manager March Morgan Huws said.

"In their cultures, they do not queue for buses where they live and there is a scrum every time a bus turns up, while in British culture there is a nice orderly queue.

"We have had quite a few complaints from residents who queue up in an orderly fashion then all those foreign students push past them.

"What we have said is that we will work with the language schools to provide some instructions on the etiquette of queuing. We won't be marching the students up and down showing them how to queue, we will just leave it up to the group leaders to pass on the information."

Orderly queuing - as seen during the recent Northern Rock banking crisis - is seen as a quintessentially British convention. One social anthropologist believes Britons are even capable of forming one-person queues at bus stops.

- AFP

HEY, not queuing is a culture TOO.
Cant they respect it? Geeez

#62210 - 26 Sep 07 21:35 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
i've seen no small number of USAmericans with the same problem. possibly because the word "queue" has not yet entered the american dialect.

We use the phrasal verb "to line up". But that's not really pertinent anyway, because, you see, we are the sole superpower. We have the most guns and are thus not required to wait in line like the rest of you commonfolk.

For the moment you do - but a fundamental part of weaponry is actually being able to have a projectile, explosive or otherwise to launch at the enemy - rumour has it that Dawdge has taken out a sub-prime mortgage with the Northern Rock Building Society on the White House in order to by his troops extra Hershey bars and things to throw at the Arabs .

#62212 - 26 Sep 07 21:42 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
Quoting: chewwyUK
Have a look around you will agree that the British did a better job than most

Of course, that is about THE most well-worn cliche ever.

Anyway, whether it has ANY basis in fact is irrelevant. It's like saying Krakow wasn't as bad as Auschwitz because in Krakow, they actually allowed the prisoners to eat the flesh off their fellow prisoners who had already died, as opposed to Auschwitz, where they had to eat other stuff to survive.

Ah now , don't be a bad loser - you got your place back , and some of your citizens can nearly walk without dragging their little knuckles along the ground (that was a big problem when the Americans all ran away during krismon - their knuckles slowed them down)

I think the fact that you are ranting the same old shit in English - note not American, but English says all there is to say.

I note you use the term "cliche" (which I am led to believe is not a place to propogate cucumbers) - I thought that meant the phrase had been overused to the point of losing its effect , not that it wasn't true .

#62237 - 27 Sep 07 08:58 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: naga]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: naga
kenyeung, you fucking pussy...

All I hear is your yapping about the government being irresponsible to what they’re supposed to do to solve queueing problem, but I hear less from dragon who isn’t interested in getting into actions to make solving these matters. I can see irony of myself yapping too but at least it’s a start for me to discuss these concerning matters without making stupid comment on penguins. I am all ears and half-noses to what your comments are.

But how can there be psuedo penguins when there is a real expat forum providing the demand? All foreign penguins must pay forum tax, no exceptions, they cannot avoid it. The govt has earned more wealth from oil, gas and bakso peddling revenue than all foreign penguins put together, just for doing nothing.

The critical question to be asked by all Australian ‘dragon’ screwing Javanese girl is…

WHERE HAS ALL THEM PENGUIN REVENUES GONE?

Let's see if you have the courage to put your beer where your glass is.

#62443 - 28 Sep 07 13:37 Re: AFP/Foreign students in Britain to be schooled in queuing [Re: kenyeung]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Always an enjoyable experience when some poor unsuspecting ibu attempts to push ahead of me at the cashier's queue at Pasaraya.

Moderator:  NetCop