riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
President of Iran requests tour of Ground Zero on N.Y. trip

BY JAMES GORDON MEEK in Washington
and ALISON GENDAR in New York
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Thursday, September 20th 2007, 4:00 AM

Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is visiting the United Nations next week.

Don't even think about it.

The president of Iran - an accused terrorist, Holocaust denier and proud member of the Axis of Evil - had the audacity to request an official tour of Ground Zero when he's in the city next week.

The NYPD promptly rejected the idea, but that may not stop Mahmoud Ahmadinejad from visiting the sacred ground.

A spokesman for the Iranian mission to the United Nations said even though the request to visit "Ground Zero and the immediate area" was rejected, Ahmadinejad still wants to go.

"We are hopeful that we can still work something out with the Police Department," the Iranian spokesman said.

Just the thought of Ahmadinejad standing on the same ground where the twin towers were destroyed and nearly 3,000 people were killed by terrorists sickened many victims' relatives, White House aides and prominent politicians.

"He's certainly an enemy of ours," said Jack Lynch, a retired MTA supervisor whose son, Michael Lynch, a firefighter, was killed in the 9/11 attacks.

"He's a nut. How can anyone deny the Holocaust? His presence is not welcome."

Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a Republican presidential candidate, and Democratic hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton were among the U.S. leaders who condemned the proposed visit.

"Assisting Ahmadinejad in touring Ground Zero - hallowed ground for all Americans - is outrageous," Giuliani said.

"This is a man who has made threats against America and Israel, is harboring Bin Laden's son and other Al Qaeda leaders, is shipping arms to Iraqi insurgents and is pursuing the development of nuclear weapons."

Clinton said Ahmadinejad was not welcome because he "refuses to renounce and end his own country's support of terrorism."

White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe agreed.

"It seems odd that the president of a country that is a state sponsor of terror would visit Ground Zero," he said.

Little can be done to keep Ahmadinejad, who is arriving Sunday to address the United Nations' General Assembly, from visiting Ground Zero like any other tourist. The attack site is about 5 miles from the UN.

A Secret Service detail, provided to heads of state when they visit the U.S., is expected to accompany Ahmadinejad around the city during his visit.

Ahmadinejad - who has said Israel should be "wiped off the map" and has called the Holocaust a "myth" - reportedly wants to go to Ground Zero at 10 a.m. Monday.

He will go to Columbia University the same day. The radical leader will debate the university president over his stance on the Holocaust, Israel and whether Iran supports terrorism and is developing nuclear weapons.

Ahmadinejad made an official request to tour Ground Zero and lay a wreath there through the Iranian mission about two weeks ago, authorities said.

The NYPD denied his request, citing security and logistical concerns after meeting with the Secret Service and Port Authority officials, authorities said.

A police spokesman said the NYPD also would oppose Ahmadinejad visiting the public area of Ground Zero. The spokesman said no official request had been received.

The Iranian president is a hard-liner who has denied claims by several Americans that he was among the extremists who took them hostage during the 1979 Islamic revolution. He also has stated recently that the 9/11 attacks were an inside job, carried out with the help of intelligence agents.

"Could it be planned and executed without coordination with intelligence and security services - or their extensive infiltration?" he asked in an open letter to President Bush in May 2006. "Of course this is just an educated guess. Why have the various aspects of the attacks been kept secret?"

Nikki Stern, whose husband was killed on Sept. 11, said Ahmadinejad visiting Ground Zero would amount to a propaganda stunt. "It would be amusing if it weren't so dangerous," she said.

The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Zalmay Khalilzad, told reporters the U.S. would not support Iran's attempt to use the site for a "photo op."

"Iran can demonstrate its seriousness about concern with regard to terrorism by taking concrete actions," he said, such as dropping support for Lebanese militant group Hezbollah and suspending its uranium enrichment program.

Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-Brooklyn, Queens) was more direct, declaring: "Iran is a terrorist state and its president is a danger to the world."

agendar@nydailynews.com

No way, no how

Thursday, September 20th 2007, 4:00 AM

Editorial

No. No. No. Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad can not be allowed to defile Ground Zero, must be stopped from exploiting this hallowed landmark, this tragic product of a fanaticism cousin to the demons in Ahmadinejad's soul.

When Ahmadinejad expressed an interest in visiting Ground Zero during his upcoming trip here for the UN General Assembly, he was promptly given the only correct answer: Drop dead. Now there are reports that he intends to appear at least in the vicinity of Ground Zero on Monday morning regardless. To him we say: Go to hell.

Ahmadinejad is an enemy of the U.S. in particular and of civilization in general. He is spilling American blood. His government is supplying weapons to forces that are killing our troops in Iraq. His presence on American soil is a damnable insult, one we suffer because New York is a global city with a slice of international territory on the East Side.

The Iranian can claim to have no affinity for Al Qaeda - they being Sunni and he being Shiite - but he harbors his own dream of imposing radical Islam on the world, and he has been monstrously frank in his attitudes toward Israel. Dear to Ahmadinejad's heart is the idea of wiping the Israelis off the map, literally.

As for 9/11, he has questioned whether, in fact, the attack was part of an American-hatched conspiracy. In a letter to President Bush in 2006, he asked: "Could it be planned and executed without coordination with intelligence and security services - or their extensive infiltration? Of course this is just an educated guess."

And there is no doubt Ahmadinejad has set his sights on Ground Zero as an act of provocation. He felt no need to go there when he came to New York in 2006. In fact, he dismissed the idea in an interview with Time magazine.

"Did you visit the site of the World Trade Center?" Ahmadinejad was asked.

"It was not necessary," he replied. "It was widely covered in the media."

Now, it's different. Now, he wants to propagandize. At the UN he will lie through his teeth in denying that Iran has nuclear weapons ambitions, and he will speak on the platform of a world body that's too craven to give him the boot.

New Yorkers are made of sterner stuff and decent stuff. Our city must deny Ahmadinejad aid and comfort - including restricting him to certain roads and sidewalks. All of Manhattan south of Canal St. must be forbidden to him by the NYPD.

#61653 - 20 Sep 07 22:49 Re: Terrorist mocks NY [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I can just picture him standing at Ground Zero and snickering into the sleeve of his Members Only jacket (I used to have one in 1979), rejoicing in how PC (read "stupid") Americans can be.

#61654 - 20 Sep 07 22:53 Re: Terrorist mocks NY [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

One of the reader comments from the NY Times:

"GO HOME MAHMOUD... WE'LL BRING "GROUND ZERO" TO YOU!"

#61675 - 21 Sep 07 07:22 Re: Terrorist mocks NY [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo

Unfortunately they haven't yet managed it in Iraq.

#61691 - 21 Sep 07 10:09 Re: Terrorist mocks NY [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Quoting: riccardo

Unfortunately they haven't yet managed it in Iraq.

Au Contraire! I'd say the Americans can be quite adept at bringing ground zero to others when they put their mind to it. See Dresden, Nagasaki and Hiroshima or these recent photos of how we are introducing ground zero to IRAQ.

Attachments
iraq2.jpg

iraq3.jpg

iraq4.jpg

iraq5.jpg

iraq1s.JPG

#61693 - 21 Sep 07 10:21 Re: Terrorist mocks NY [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Yep , you even take out your Allies in the process - still if it moves then shoot it . You lot couldn't hit a cows cunt with a banjo yet alone the right target .
You need to remember that it probably isn't worth building a replacement for the twin towers while you find it vaguely amusing to shoot children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor

As for Dresden - well things don't change do they ?

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (21 Sep 07 10:27)

Moderator:  NetCop