Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61617 - 20 Sep 07 16:13 Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
does Adiguna Sutowo still own the hard rock cafe jakarta?

and if he does, would the hard rock cafe be an appropriate place for writers (of sorts) to hold a meeting?

#61618 - 20 Sep 07 16:22 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
depends if during the day or night - day time i guess so as always empty night time not so much. Mind you if you are talking writers I would imagine D's place or Top Gun would be better

#61619 - 20 Sep 07 16:26 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: chewwyUK]
Pooh Bah

i was more thinking in the context of Adiguna Sutowo being a cold-blooded killer. he's the jerk that shot and killed that waiter in the Hilton (now reincarnated as the Sultan).

#61621 - 20 Sep 07 16:37 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
does Adiguna Sutowo still own the hard rock cafe jakarta? and if he does, would the hard rock cafe be an appropriate place for writers (of sorts) to hold a meeting?

Adiguna's PT Mugi Rekso Abadi still has the main stake in Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta. Should not only be boycotted, but closed down. Can't imagine why anyone would want to go there, unless to advise the staff to stop working for a murderer, and advise patrons to spend their money elsewhere.

#61623 - 20 Sep 07 16:43 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Isn't that the place that has the Logo "No Drugs or Nuclear Weapons allowed inside"?

Guees he just has not extorted enough to buy his own nukes yet!

#61624 - 20 Sep 07 16:44 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: kenyeung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Come now Kenny - if patrons boycotted everything owned by naughty boys , they wouldn't have anywhere to go - including church, even some expat websites are known to be owned by dodgy old boys.

Can't imagine why anyone would take a walk down Jaksa yet alone frequent any of the many dives that litter the place.

#61625 - 20 Sep 07 16:45 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

They have Zimmer Parking !

#61626 - 20 Sep 07 16:46 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

was there a fly in his soup??

#61628 - 20 Sep 07 16:51 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: chewwyUK]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: chewwyUK
was there a fly in his soup??

no, no fly in the soup:

Adiguna's sentence condemned

Abdul Khalik, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Prosecutors have filed an appeal with the Jakarta High Court
against the seven-year prison sentence handed down by the Central
Jakarta District Court to Adiguna Sutowo, who has been convicted
of murdering Johannes "Rudy" Berchmans Haerudy Natong.
Prosecutor Andi Herman of the Jakarta Prosecutor's Office said
on Tuesday that the appeal was filed on Monday because the
prosecution felt that Adiguna's sentence was too lenient
considering they had demanded a life sentence.
"We demanded a life sentence but they only gave him seven
years. The verdict is too light and does not meet the public's
sense of justice. So we filed an appeal," Andi told The Jakarta
Post.
Adiguna, the lone suspect in the fatal shooting of Rudy at
point blank range at the Hilton hotel on Jan. 1, was charged with
murder and illegal possession of a weapon, with maximum sentences
of 20 years and death sentence respectively.
A panel of three judges found Adiguna guilty on all counts,
but sentenced him only to seven years.
The judges argued that the Central Jakarta District Court had
never sentenced a murderer to more than 20 years. They cited
several cases in which defendants had been tried and convicted
for either murder or illegal possession of firearms since 2002,
including the cases of Hutomo "Tommy" Mandala Putra, who was
sentenced to 15 years for masterminding the murder of a Supreme
Court judge, and Tommy's nephew Ari Sigit, who got only one year
for illegal possession of a gun.
They also said they took into consideration that Adiguna had
been "tried and condemned by the media" as well as a letter from
the victim's family suggesting that the defendant be shown
leniency.
Observers and experts, however, criticized the considerations,
saying that the light sentence would not deter people like the
businessman from committing similar crimes.
They also pointed out that Adiguna, a son of former Pertamina
president director Ibnu Sutowo and brother of successful
businessman Ponco Sutowo, was a public figure, and as such should
be heavily punished to prove that no one was above the law.
During the leadership of former strongman Soeharto, well-
connected people were often beyond the reach of the law,
triggering long legal uncertainty that the current administration
of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is struggling to overcome.
Attorney General's Office spokesman RJ Soehandojo said on
Tuesday that Adiguna's seven-year sentence was considered a
defeat for state prosecutors.
"We must appeal because though we asked for a life sentence,
we got seven. We instructed the Jakarta Prosecutor's Office to
file an appeal right after we heard the sentence," he told the
Post.
Asked about the possibility of Adiguna getting a lighter
sentence in the high court, Soehandojo said that prosecutors
would appeal to the Supreme Court if that happened.
"We will immediately file an appeal with the Supreme Court if
that happens. I believe justice will eventually be done," he
said.

#61629 - 20 Sep 07 16:52 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Kuku, I sent you and others an email on the subject.

#61632 - 20 Sep 07 17:04 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I'd also tend not to comment openly - I do however like HRC's beef ribs - very well done Mr. Adi

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (20 Sep 07 17:06)
Edit Reason: got my worms noodled up

#61636 - 20 Sep 07 17:53 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: KuKuKaChu]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Loc: at my desk
does Adiguna Sutowo still own the hard rock cafe jakarta?

and if he does, would the hard rock cafe be an appropriate place for writers (of sorts) to hold a meeting?

Why not? If I'm not mistaken, boss was invited for a gathering in the meeting place (at 2nd fl?) there one afternoon. The function was hold by a foreign business chamber.

#61641 - 20 Sep 07 18:52 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pujangga

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Come now Kenny - if patrons boycotted everything owned by naughty boys , they wouldn't have anywhere to go - including church, even some expat websites are known to be owned by dodgy old boys. Can't imagine why anyone would take a walk down Jaksa yet alone frequent any of the many dives that litter the place.

My main reason for wasting many years of my life boozing on jaksa is that I am a part-time nihilist and dedicated hedonist (a happily pathetic alcoholic loser). The owners of the places I drink on jaksa are not, to my knowledge, murderous cronies of the Suharto clan. And if they ever get wasted on shabu and coke, they don't come in and gun down their bar staff. Also, bars on jaksa serve beer very promptly. There is none of this ridiculous lining up to get inside, queueing several minutes at the bar to order a drink, then having a tosspot barman try to juggle/flip bottles and glasses, rather than just serve the damn drink. The only places to avoid on Jaksa because of tainted ownership are Piss Salon and Ocusi, but that's ok cos they don't sell beer.

#61644 - 20 Sep 07 20:02 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: bonita]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: bonita
Why not? If I'm not mistaken, boss was invited for a gathering in the meeting place (at 2nd fl?) there one afternoon. The function was hold by a foreign business chamber.

i wonder, would they have had their meeting there had they known it was owned by a cold-blooded murderer?

#61646 - 20 Sep 07 20:16 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Way for Keny who has told the truth!

As for the bit about the Salon and the "Centre of Evilness" I suggest they apply for "Boose Shop Emporium" status sharpish!

#61647 - 20 Sep 07 20:17 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pujangga

i wonder, would they have had their meeting there had they known it was owned by a cold-blooded murderer?

No doubt. There was no visible boycott of the Hilton in the aftermath of Rudy Natong being murdered. Likewise, after Munir was murdered, folk were still flying Garuda (often the only option), rather than demanding Indra Setiawan be jailed. And when Capt. Mainwaring threw a cat at Riccardo, I still held on to my pirated collection of seasons 1-6 of Dad's Army.

#61648 - 20 Sep 07 20:19 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Arrive at office #1, submit papers, have a drink, go next door, get a haircut and and a blowjob with boose, trot back next door to office # 1 and it's "Correctomundo Sir, (or should that be Meester) all your papers are in order!

Get an Ojek home!

The future beckons. If only Kuku could see the way forward!

#61649 - 20 Sep 07 20:26 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

eat your heart out!

#61650 - 20 Sep 07 20:32 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pujangga

Heart?

#61651 - 20 Sep 07 21:01 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Liver? Shot to bits!

#61655 - 21 Sep 07 01:24 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: Dilli]
Shesca Offline
Member*

They have the best nachos

#61663 - 21 Sep 07 06:48 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Dilli
Arrive at office #1, submit papers, have a drink, go next door, get a haircut and and a blowjob with boose, trot back next door to office # 1 and it's "Correctomundo Sir, (or should that be Meester) all your papers are in order!

Get an Ojek home!

The future beckons. If only Kuku could see the way forward!

What is an Ojek?

#61666 - 21 Sep 07 06:58 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Jakarta Post May 8th 2007

Ojek, The fun and the oh-so-unreliable public transport alternative

City News - May 08, 2007

As a news reporter, traversing all the five municipalities of Jakarta every day is the norm.

But getting back to the office in time to meet deadlines amidst horrendous evening traffic is something else.

None of Jakarta's public transport is without its flaws.
Taking the bus means extra guts -- and a lot of sweat -- to bear the drivers' breakneck, reckless driving. Taking the train means dealing with thieves.

Taxis are expensive and can't beat the traffic, while bajaj (three-wheeled motorized vehicle) are just too noisy.

So I settle on ojek (motorcycle taxis) as the answer to all my problems.

In a city of more than seven million people, which doubles in daytime, more than 2.5 million private cars and 3.8 million motorcycles ply the streets. According to data from the transportation agency, 1,035 additional motorcycles and 296 cars enter Jakarta every day. But there is no accurate data on the number of ojek in the capital.

Riding an ojek means saving time, some cash and getting a little extra air to breath, even if the air quality might be doubtful. At very least, ojek can take me everywhere in no time, including the city's narrow streets.

But it's not all perfect.

If I bargain with ojek drivers over the fare when there's heavy traffic, most times they will try to raise the price. Just like yesterday when I asked an ojek driver to take me to my rented room in Kalibata, Pasar Minggu from Tanah Abang. He asked me for Rp 35,000 (US$3.8) to cover the trip.

"I better ride a taxi for Rp 35,000," I said. When I asked him to reduce it to Rp 15,000, he asked for Rp 20,000. "The traffic is jammed up," he said.

"Of course, this is Jakarta," I said.

And when I gave it a second thought I realized something else. He was charging me for a traffic jam, something that I had absolutely nothing to do with.

Besides, as an ojek driver isn't he supposed to get used to Jakarta's traffic?

I ended up agreeing even though I was a little irritated with the request.

He then drove me home through Kuningan, one of Jakarta's most traffic prone streets.

From any of the alternative streets why on earth would he have chosen Kuningan, I thought. But since he was driving, I didn't want to interrupt him with the question.

When we arrived, I asked the driver to wait for me and take me somewhere else. When I asked him how much I was supposed to pay him for that, he asked the same price as before, giving the same reason of traffic, even though the next destination was not as far as the last.

But since I was in a hurry I didn't think much of it and so accepted his offer. And then once again he drove through Kuningan, again avoiding the closer and less congested option closer to Jl. Medan Merdeka, my destination.

The driver apparently only knew the road he usually takes from his house Tanah Abang. But it makes me wonder: What are we paying for?

If taxis can use a meter, what can't ojek drivers? Are they charging us for every bead of perspiration they produce on each trip. Or is it the total energy they expend?

Or is it that because they know little about Jakarta's roads -- or at least pretend to, like many taxi drivers?

I'm no longer wondering why more and more people are taking their bikes to work.

Too bad the city administration doesn't seem to be excited about supporting bikers by building bikeways for them. It's just another reason I haven't yet been convinced to buy one myself.

-- Irawaty Wardany

#61841 - 23 Sep 07 21:19 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

This is the guy in question, that owns the Jakarta version of the Hard Rock Cafe.

www.balibs.org

On June 17th 2005, an article published on their web site by The Jakarta Post about the pathetic 7-year jail term handed down to one Mr. Adiguna Sutowo, a wealthy businessman from the Pertamina (Indonesia's petroleum monopoly) controlling family, who shot dead a poor waiter, was pulled.

The waiter, one Yohannes Berchmans "Rudy" Haerudy Natong, was working at Sutowo's brother's nightclub at a New Year's Eve party. Seems poor Rudy was given the job of telling Suharto family friend Mr. Adiguna Sutowo that his credit card had been refused! The article, rightly critical of the lean sentence and the fact that the presiding judge had justified it by stating mitigating circumstances applied; that Adiguna Sutowo was high on drugs, so could not be held responsible for his actions!

The original Jakarta Post story of course stated that the so-called mitigating circumstances should have increased, not decreased, the sentence given. The article also reported how the poor waiter's family was so aggrieved at the lack of justice.

And how Muslim clerics and their followers were brought, or rather bought, in by Sutowo's family to harangue the judge over the killing of Rudy, a Christian. Then the article disappeared, believed by some because it was made clear to the owners and chief editor of The Jakarta Post what would happen to them if it was left there!

#61842 - 23 Sep 07 22:00 Re: Adiguna Sutowo & Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Dilli
Jakarta Post May 8th 2007

Ojek, The fun and the oh-so-unreliable public transport alternative

City News - May 08, 2007

As a news reporter, traversing all the five municipalities of Jakarta every day is the norm.

But getting back to the office in time to meet deadlines amidst horrendous evening traffic is something else.

None of Jakarta's public transport is without its flaws.
Taking the bus means extra guts -- and a lot of sweat -- to bear the drivers' breakneck, reckless driving. Taking the train means dealing with thieves.

Taxis are expensive and can't beat the traffic, while bajaj (three-wheeled motorized vehicle) are just too noisy.

So I settle on ojek (motorcycle taxis) as the answer to all my problems.

In a city of more than seven million people, which doubles in daytime, more than 2.5 million private cars and 3.8 million motorcycles ply the streets. According to data from the transportation agency, 1,035 additional motorcycles and 296 cars enter Jakarta every day. But there is no accurate data on the number of ojek in the capital.

Riding an ojek means saving time, some cash and getting a little extra air to breath, even if the air quality might be doubtful. At very least, ojek can take me everywhere in no time, including the city's narrow streets.

But it's not all perfect.

If I bargain with ojek drivers over the fare when there's heavy traffic, most times they will try to raise the price. Just like yesterday when I asked an ojek driver to take me to my rented room in Kalibata, Pasar Minggu from Tanah Abang. He asked me for Rp 35,000 (US$3.8) to cover the trip.

"I better ride a taxi for Rp 35,000," I said. When I asked him to reduce it to Rp 15,000, he asked for Rp 20,000. "The traffic is jammed up," he said.

"Of course, this is Jakarta," I said.

And when I gave it a second thought I realized something else. He was charging me for a traffic jam, something that I had absolutely nothing to do with.

Besides, as an ojek driver isn't he supposed to get used to Jakarta's traffic?

I ended up agreeing even though I was a little irritated with the request.

He then drove me home through Kuningan, one of Jakarta's most traffic prone streets.

From any of the alternative streets why on earth would he have chosen Kuningan, I thought. But since he was driving, I didn't want to interrupt him with the question.

When we arrived, I asked the driver to wait for me and take me somewhere else. When I asked him how much I was supposed to pay him for that, he asked the same price as before, giving the same reason of traffic, even though the next destination was not as far as the last.

But since I was in a hurry I didn't think much of it and so accepted his offer. And then once again he drove through Kuningan, again avoiding the closer and less congested option closer to Jl. Medan Merdeka, my destination.

The driver apparently only knew the road he usually takes from his house Tanah Abang. But it makes me wonder: What are we paying for?

If taxis can use a meter, what can't ojek drivers? Are they charging us for every bead of perspiration they produce on each trip. Or is it the total energy they expend?

Or is it that because they know little about Jakarta's roads -- or at least pretend to, like many taxi drivers?

I'm no longer wondering why more and more people are taking their bikes to work.

Too bad the city administration doesn't seem to be excited about supporting bikers by building bikeways for them. It's just another reason I haven't yet been convinced to buy one myself.

-- Irawaty Wardany

What a load of old shit , from arseholes to breakfast time. What did the twat get back on the same ojek for ?

The answer to "all this guys problems" is not as he maintains an ojek , but rather a bloody good accident with a 42 tonne truck.

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (23 Sep 07 22:02)
Edit Reason: gross vehicle weigh and CAT II

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop