Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61418 - 18 Sep 07 08:17 Stealing from poor
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
This is good news, but I'm sure they will only focus on the handful of African slimeballs involved in such corruption. It just amazes me, but doesn't surprise me, that Suharto gets a free pass from the international community, even while 50% of his fellow citizens live in abject poverty -- due in large part to the old man's greed and corruption.

-------------------------------------------------------------
World Bank and UN team up to help poor nations recover stolen assets

By Warren Hoge
Published: September 17, 2007

The World Bank and the United Nations announced Monday that they were setting up a system to help developing nations recover assets stolen and sent abroad by corrupt leaders that amount to an estimated $40 billion a year.

"There should be no safe haven for those who steal from the poor," Robert Zoellick, the bank's president, said in remarks prepared for a ceremony inaugurating the plan with Secretary General Ban Ki Moon at United Nations headquarters.

"Helping developing countries recover the stolen money will be key to fund social programs and put corrupt leaders on notice that they will not escape the law," he said.

The bank estimates that the cross-border flow of the global proceeds from criminal activities, corruption and tax evasion is between $1 trillion and $1.6 trillion annually and that even a small portion could provide much needed funding for social programs.

By example, Zoellick said that every $100 million recovered could pay for immunizations for 4 million children, provide water connections for about 250,000 households or fund treatment for more than 600,000 people with HIV/AIDS for a full year...

read the rest of the article here:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/09/17/news/nations.php

#61430 - 18 Sep 07 09:51 Re: Stealing from poor [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
And the World Bank are a fine bunch to stand on the pulpit -

Wouldn't you have thought that it would have been up to the respective governments where such investments were made to sieze such assets? If it were drugs or American unpaid congestion charging in London (which is almost as much as Soeharto borrowed) then they would be on the case.

#61444 - 18 Sep 07 11:21 Re: Stealing from poor [Re: riccardo]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Quoting: riccardo
... put corrupt leaders on notice that they will not escape the law...

Big LOL... Do this first.

jumpall

Moderator:  NetCop