Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61300 - 17 Sep 07 07:02 another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ...
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
yet another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... looks like these lemons were sold off en mass to shoe-string operators in southeast asia. when are people going to wake up to the fact that the design of this plane is fundamentally and fatally flawed? quite apart from all its other problems, skidding on runways is an MD-80 specialty.

Budget airline crash lands at Phuket airport

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:01pm AEST
One-Two-Go aircraft

An aircraft owned by Thai budget carrier One-Two-Go. A One-Two-Go plane crash landed on the resort island of Phuket on September 16, 2007, killing at least 61 people.

A passenger jet carrying 128 passengers and crew has crashed on landing in bad weather at Thailand's resort island of Phuket.

A senior provincial official told Thai TV that more than 30 people were likely killed in the crash.

One official said it broke into two on landing, while another said it slid off the runway and was on fire.

The MD-80 plane, operated by Thai budget carrier One-Two-Go, was flying to Phuket on southern Thailand's Andaman coast from the capital Bangkok.

"The airplane asked to land but due to the weather in Phuket -- strong wind and heavy rain -- maybe the pilot did not see the runway clearly," said civil aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan.

"The plane then fell onto the runway and broke into two. It is expected that there will be deaths.

"We are rescuing people from the aircraft ... we know now there were 123 passengers and five crew. We won't know what really happened until we hear the black box."

Lieutenant Major Sokchai Limcharoen, a police chief in the area of Phuket, confirmed the accident, saying it happened at 3:35pm, but did not say if it broke in two.

"The plane was landing and slid off the runway. We are rescuing people and carrying injured people to hospitals," he said, adding that the plane was on fire.

- AFP

#61301 - 17 Sep 07 07:18 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

and guess what ... indonesian pilot ...

From detik.com

Jakarta - Jenazah pilot asal Indonesia yang tewas di Thailand, Arif Mulyadi saat ini masih berada di Thailand. Rencananya, jenazah akan diterbangkan ke Tanah Air pada Selasa 18 September.

"Rencananya besok, almarhum akan dibawa ke Jakarta," ujar menantu Arif, Armi kepada detikcom, Senin (17/9/2007).

Saat ini, lanjut dia, istri dan 3 anak Arif telah berada di Thailand. "Ibu dan putra-putri Bapak sudah di Thailand," ujarnya.

Arif adalah salah seorang pilot maskapai One-Two-Go. Pesawat naas jenis MD-82 yang dikemudikan Arif itu mengalami kecelakaan saat berusaha landing di Bandara Phuket, Thailand, Minggu 16 September kemarin.

Saat cuaca buruk menaungi bandara, pesawat bernomor penerbangan OG 269 itu tergelincir, terbelah dua dan terbakar. Pesawat itu ditumpangi 123 penumpang dan 7 orang kru. Data Menkes Thailand menyebut 87 orang diantaranya tewas.

#61303 - 17 Sep 07 08:11 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
He was probably fasting and, as they do at that time of the afternoon, likely dozing in and out of sleep as they were trying to land.

I'd never heard of this one-two-go airline, but I know I'll never be using them.

#61305 - 17 Sep 07 08:18 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

pilots are not supposed to fast, according to fatwas i recall.

the boeing MD-80 series is a seriously dangerous aircraft, and i would not ever board one, regardless of the nationality or religion of the pilot.

#61312 - 17 Sep 07 09:23 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
How can you avoid boarding one? Passengers are not usually privy to the type of aircraft used until a few minutes before boarding.

The md80 is actually the old DC-9, a remnant of the Howard Hughes planes. From what I just read, nearly half of the MD80s in use today have been assembled in China.

I wonder if Boeing regrets the merger with McDonnel Douglas.

Here's a list of fatal MD80 accidents:

http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/douglas.htm

#61314 - 17 Sep 07 09:32 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: riccardo
How can you avoid boarding one? Passengers are not usually privy to the type of aircraft used until a few minutes before boarding.

you can find out at time of check-in. if they say "MD-80", you do a no show ... basically, best not to do business at all with airlines that continue to use this type of aircraft.

#61316 - 17 Sep 07 09:56 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: riccardo
Here's a list of fatal MD80 accidents:

http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/douglas.htm

that list cannot be complete. there are at least 3 other fatal accidents involving this aircraft; two in Indonesia, and one Alaskan Airlines.

#61319 - 17 Sep 07 10:29 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

You've gotta laugh ay?

#61335 - 17 Sep 07 12:17 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Lucky Bastard or What

Australian, Perth man Robert Borland, 48, survived the crash with non life-threatening injuries, authorities and his family said.

Mr Borland's mother Muriel Robertson, 71, said her son, who also survived the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami in Phuket, did the same now as then - he reassured her.

"He did the same when the tsunami hit. All I got was: 'hi mum, I'm all right.' And I said: 'Good, what's happened?' And he said: 'I'm in hospital, I was in a plane crash,' '' she said.

Mr Borland told his mother that he had escaped life-threatening injuries - his head and torso were OK, she said - but he had a broken right arm and burnt legs.

#61337 - 17 Sep 07 12:21 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: Roy's Hair]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Roy's hair

You've gotta laugh ay?

i'm rolling around uncontrollably on the floor.

#61359 - 17 Sep 07 15:08 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

Jakarta Post getting it wrong yet again: today's front page report stating a "McDonnel Douglas MD-80" crashed in thailand.

#61363 - 17 Sep 07 15:37 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Loc: melbourne australia
thats what AP released it as this morning.

with the flights. if you book your flights online in australia, you know what planes you will be flying.

so I can tell you that the flight im taking to singapore on the 30th is on a 747 and im coming back on a 777

#61396 - 18 Sep 07 06:31 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere

Omg, i know the crash nothing to do with him. Its bad luck for him to work in Thai airways. Shite airline, Garuda is better wink

#61397 - 18 Sep 07 07:04 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: emmajkt]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think you may have got that wrong Emma, this airline One Two Go has never had an accident, and although Thai owned, this really has no bearing on whether an airline is, as you put it "shite" or not.

And, for the record, at the risk of being declared an "anorak", the plane is correctly described as a McDonnell Douglas MD-80, as this was the company that built and designed them. For the record, Boeing bought McDonnell Douglas in the late 90's!

The US-made McDonnell Douglas MD-80 series aircraft like the one that crashed in Phuket on Sunday does not have a poor safety record or a history of frequent crashes. This mid-size, medium-range airliner has been involved only four accidents. Three, including Sunday's One-Two-Go tragedy, involved fatalities.

The three previous incidents were:

FOn Dec 27, 1991, SAS flight 751, an MD-81 aircraft, OY-KHO ''Dana Viking'' crash-landed in Gottrra, Sweden.

In the initial climb, both engines ingested ice breaking loose from the wings, which had not been properly de-iced before departure. Both engines were destroyed, leaving the aircraft with no propulsion. The aircraft landed in a field and broke into three parts. No fire broke out and all aboard the plane survived.

Lack of ground crew preparation - does not seem to be an aircraft malfunction! Swedish Airline! And all survived!

FOn Jan 31, 2000, Alaska Airlines Flight 261, an MD-83 aircraft, crashed in the Pacific Ocean, about 4.3km north of Anacapa Island, California, due to the inadequate maintenance of the jackscrew assembly.

The two pilots, three cabin crew, and 83 passengers on board were killed, and the airplane was destroyed.

Lack of maintenance- does not seem to be an aircraft malfunction! American Airline!

FOn Oct 8, 2001, SAS flight SK686, an MD-87 aircraft, SE-DMA, collided with a small Cessna jet during take-off at Linate Airport, Milan, Italy.

The Linate Airport disaster left 114 people dead. It has been established that the cause of the accident was a misunderstanding between air traffic controllers and the Cessna jet, and that the SAS crew had no role in causing the accident. Another factor was the ground movement radar not being in operation at the time of the accident.

Lack of ground staff support between Air Traffic Control and other flights - does not seem to be an aircraft malfunction! Swedish Airline!

The MD-80 series has been used by major airlines around the world, including American Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Swissair, Alitalia, Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), Finnair, Iberia and Korean Air.

However, many of these carriers began to retire this type of aircraft from 2000 and replace them with newer and more fuel-efficient jetliners.

As of May 2007, a total of 1,051 MD-80 series and variant MD-90 aircraft were in airline service. Production of the MD-80 ended in 1999.

I rest my case!

#61398 - 18 Sep 07 07:13 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: Dilli]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Quoting: Dilli
I think you may have got that wrong Emma, this airline One Two Go has never had an accident, and although Thai owned, this really has no bearing on whether an airline is, as you put it "shite" or not.

i know that dill, i was just give support to 'great' garuda. With my Indonesian Pride!!

#61399 - 18 Sep 07 07:15 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

And, for the record, at the risk of being declared an "anorak", the plane is correctly described as a McDonnell Douglas MD-80, as this was the company that built and designed them. For the record, Boeing bought McDonnell Douglas in the late 90's!

I rest my case!

From http://www.boeing.com/commercial/md-80-90/index.html:

MD-80 Background

The Boeing MD-80, a quiet, fuel-efficient twinjet, was certified by the Federal Aviation Administration in August 1980 and entered airline service in October 1980. Its Pratt & Whitney JT8D-200 engines, combined with its efficient aerodynamic design, allow the MD-80 to meet all current noise regulations while producing operating costs among the lowest in commercial aviation.

Four MD-80 models -- the MD-81, MD-82, MD-83, and MD-88 -- are 147 feet, 10 inches (45.08 meters) long and accommodate a maximum of 172 passengers. The MD-87 is 130.4 feet (39.76 m) in length, with a maximum passenger capacity of 139. Wingspan for all models is 107 feet, 10 inches (32.88 m). The MD-80 was produced at the Long Beach Division of Boeing Commercial Airplanes until December 1999.

I rest my case!

#61400 - 18 Sep 07 07:15 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: Dilli]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

GOTCHA Dilli! can't believe you take me seriously Hahahhahaha...

#61401 - 18 Sep 07 07:21 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: emmajkt]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Statistics for every airline in the world can be found here.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/operator/

And, Mr Smarty Pants Kuku, when did Boeing buy McDonnell Douglas? Let me think, ahh 1996, and the plane that crashed was manufactured in 1983, 13 years before it became a Boeing!

#61402 - 18 Sep 07 07:22 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: emmajkt]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: emmajkt

Omg, i know the crash nothing to do with him. Its bad luck for him to work in Thai airways. Shite airline, Garuda is better wink

i doubt anyone knows at the moment if the pilot had anything to do with the accident, but the MD-80's record for skidding on landing is very well known in this part of the world.

#61403 - 18 Sep 07 07:23 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Statistics for every airline in the world can be found here.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/operator/

And, Mr Smarty Pants Kuku, when did Boeing buy McDonnell Douglas? Let me think, ahh 1996, and the plane that crashed was manufactured in 1983, 13 years before it became a Boeing!

don't tell me about it! tell boeing! it's their plane! wink

#61404 - 18 Sep 07 07:27 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

i doubt anyone knows at the moment if the pilot had anything to do with the accident, but the MD-80's record for skidding on landing is very well known in this part of the world.

If that Boeing is well known risky, why they still operate it?... hmmm, before dilli get too serious. I rest my case

#61423 - 18 Sep 07 08:34 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: emmajkt]
Pooh Bah

If that Boeing is well known risky, why they still operate it?...

i've been asking the same question for years. production of this design was stopped in 1999. it seems much of the fleet of MD80s made its way to tin-pot southeast asian budget airlines. no respectable airline would use such a lemon.

oh, and i rest my case ...

#61428 - 18 Sep 07 09:37 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Big fucking case you got there mate! Need a porter?

#61432 - 18 Sep 07 10:18 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here

The US-made McDonnell Douglas MD-80 series aircraft like the one that crashed in Phuket on Sunday does not have a poor safety record or a history of frequent crashes. This mid-size, medium-range airliner has been involved only four accidents. Three, including Sunday's One-Two-Go tragedy, involved fatalities.

The three previous incidents were:

FOn Dec 27, 1991, SAS flight 751, an MD-81 aircraft, OY-KHO ''Dana Viking'' crash-landed in Gottrra, Sweden.

In the initial climb, both engines ingested ice breaking loose from the wings, which had not been properly de-iced before departure. Both engines were destroyed, leaving the aircraft with no propulsion. The aircraft landed in a field and broke into three parts. No fire broke out and all aboard the plane survived.

Lack of ground crew preparation - does not seem to be an aircraft malfunction! Swedish Airline! And all survived!

FOn Jan 31, 2000, Alaska Airlines Flight 261, an MD-83 aircraft, crashed in the Pacific Ocean, about 4.3km north of Anacapa Island, California, due to the inadequate maintenance of the jackscrew assembly.

The two pilots, three cabin crew, and 83 passengers on board were killed, and the airplane was destroyed.

Lack of maintenance- does not seem to be an aircraft malfunction! American Airline!

FOn Oct 8, 2001, SAS flight SK686, an MD-87 aircraft, SE-DMA, collided with a small Cessna jet during take-off at Linate Airport, Milan, Italy.

The Linate Airport disaster left 114 people dead. It has been established that the cause of the accident was a misunderstanding between air traffic controllers and the Cessna jet, and that the SAS crew had no role in causing the accident. Another factor was the ground movement radar not being in operation at the time of the accident.

Lack of ground staff support between Air Traffic Control and other flights - does not seem to be an aircraft malfunction! Swedish Airline!

The MD-80 series has been used by major airlines around the world, including American Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Swissair, Alitalia, Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS), Finnair, Iberia and Korean Air.

However, many of these carriers began to retire this type of aircraft from 2000 and replace them with newer and more fuel-efficient jetliners.

As of May 2007, a total of 1,051 MD-80 series and variant MD-90 aircraft were in airline service. Production of the MD-80 ended in 1999.

I rest my case!

Every airline starts off not having had a crash.

Would seem that extreme weather conditions were to blame for this one - so it may not necessarily be fair to slag the pilot off despite the fact he was Indo .

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (18 Sep 07 10:18)

#61532 - 19 Sep 07 11:55 Re: another Boeing MD-80 bites the dust ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Jazz Offline

Loc: Earth
Quoting: Roy's hair

You've gotta laugh ay?

i'm rolling around uncontrollably on the floor.

as usual, you guys like to put down indonesians & as if you have no flaws. hard to believe, keep putting down indonesians but married to indonesians, live in indonesia and the worse.. making money in indonesia!!! pathetic!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop