Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#61224 - 15 Sep 07 12:17 RIP Ashley
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Englishman Ashley (aka Ashtelmont) and a Jaksa regular for the past 7 or 8 years, passed away at his home on Friday. Apparently from a heart attack. He was in his early 50s. He had a serious motorcycle accident a few months ago and was still recovering somewhat from that. A sad evening at the pub last night and he'll definitely be missed. Capt. Morgan's wife, Erna, may have info on funeral arrangements.

#61237 - 15 Sep 07 15:45 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Condolences.

#61245 - 15 Sep 07 20:24 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Obviously I didn't know this guy so to say much would be a tad hollow , what worries me though is the number of expats in Asia who seem to die young:-

http://www.joolsbar.com/thedeparted.html

Saw this one yesterday - and with the exception of uncle fester most of these guys weren't so old - is this about right , or are we all dropping like flies due to actually enjoying life?

#61246 - 16 Sep 07 07:02 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

To be honest with you captain I thought the same thing. Been a few relatively young ones depart the scene a little too early. My thinking on the matter is that generally speaking the expats you find in SEA just aren't happy with getting a mortgage, watching East Enders until the weekend comes and they can make their way to the DIY store. From what I have experienced the people who make SEA their home tend to enjoy life more (sometimes too much).

I for one would not be happy in the suburbs and would rather top myself than end up in an old people’s home pissing lightly on the sofa! So willing to risk staying a little longer here

#61263 - 16 Sep 07 10:01 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: chewwyUK]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I'm not sure if that is a function of the fact the many appear to be wanted be various authorities in their home country .
I'm also not sure if they actually do enjoy life more , or if they manage to convince themselves that they do.
Particularly in BKK you see the same old faces going into the same old bar at the same time every night , falling into the street at the same time and spouting the same shit -

Actually I reckon that there is a bit to be said about going to B&Q on Sunday and getting some new grout for the bathroom . Nothing wrong with having a more sedate way of life , just make sure that it isn't in the UK.

#61265 - 16 Sep 07 10:22 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
"Nothing wrong with having a more sedate way of life , just make sure that it isn't in the UK."

At your age this is a very sensible attitude. I hope that in about 20 years time I feel the same way!

#61267 - 16 Sep 07 10:57 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

In twenty years time you will be 75 and probably wearing adult sized PocoPants™ with a Pressure relief drain valve - in fact I suspect you may be wearing them now

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (16 Sep 07 11:01)
Edit Reason: a warm wet feeling

#61268 - 16 Sep 07 11:00 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Got the age wrong, much younger.....what are Pocopants anyway? Do you have any that you are finished with?

#61269 - 16 Sep 07 11:02 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Ha ha. We're none of us getting any younger. I think it's simply a case of cultural sensitivity. Indonesian blokes all die at the age of 57 and so Westerners here simply try and synchronize themselves to the local mortality custom. When in Rome...die

#61270 - 16 Sep 07 11:05 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Readily available in Carrefour and all good incontinence equipment suppliers - fitted with a PRV and drain line down to boot level .

And not THAT much younger - the thai's and indo may fall for your old waffle but other bules don't need you to be carbon dated to work out you are well past your sell-by date.

#61271 - 16 Sep 07 11:09 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Roy's hair
Ha ha. We're none of us getting any younger. I think it's simply a case of cultural sensitivity. Indonesian blokes all die at the age of 57 and so Westerners here simply try and synchronize themselves to the local mortality custom. When in Rome...die

And of course Asian girls generally don't care - I watched an old twat in a wheel chair last night noshing on two 19 year old nymphs - and very helpfully they were looking after his wallet.

Try not to mention "57 years old" and "death" when replying to Dilli's posts .

#61272 - 16 Sep 07 11:15 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Ah. right. sorry. Well keep noshing then chief. more birds less Binters will keep us all in the pink. (actually maybe not - I didn't really think that one through)

#61274 - 16 Sep 07 11:23 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I must admit I would prefer to have two 19 year old nymphettes noshing on me while I was drinking a cold Bintang on me than vice versa!

#61276 - 16 Sep 07 11:26 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I'm a bit confused by that.

#62344 - 27 Sep 07 20:14 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
soppy Offline

knew hatch from that link back in my bkk days

good lad, liked his beer...

#62360 - 27 Sep 07 22:35 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: soppy]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: soppy
knew hatch from that link back in my bkk days

good lad, liked his beer...

Yes, the consensus is that is why he parked up his becak for the last time and Big Dave is just about to explode in a wave of blubber and Shepherds Pie up in Chang Mai.

Assuming you were a Jools regular do you know Brooksie ?

Now , I also knew a "Soppy" around about that time - surely couldn't be the same one of International Precision Engineering fame could it? Ah , happy days, all the beer you could slurp , Suzy "Wow" doing the translation when she wasn't impaled on "Village" Trev's giggle stick , and if I recall, £42 a day per diem.

#62364 - 27 Sep 07 23:00 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
rotokino Offline

Loc: nz'er living in sarinah
i met him a few times, i was told after his motercycle accident he wasnt the same and that may have contributed to his death,

r.i.p. ashley

#62385 - 28 Sep 07 07:10 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: rotokino]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: rotokino
i met him a few times, i was told after his motercycle accident he wasnt the same and that may have contributed to his death,

r.i.p. ashley

i think allah is trying to tell us something ...

#63284 - 10 Oct 07 12:56 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Ship Of Fools Offline

No disrepect to Ashley, but someone finally had the balls to rip down that rediculous record of donations to Ashley's fund. It was pretty tacky in my opinion to post it up in the first place.

#63285 - 10 Oct 07 13:36 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Ship Of Fools]
Pooh Bah

?? where was this?

#63339 - 11 Oct 07 12:14 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Ship Of Fools Offline

His favorite haunt of course, Romance. It was sort of akin to giving someone a gift and telling them how much you paid for it. Plus those who didn't give six figures were perceived as being cheap. Myself included, as I was not very close to the bloke, I was asked 'put on the spot' to donate whatever I felt. I gave a modest amount and then found myself near the bottom of this rediculous list. Stupid.

#63345 - 11 Oct 07 14:13 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: Ship Of Fools]
Pooh Bah

o i c ...

#64354 - 02 Nov 07 14:31 Re: RIP Ashley [Re: KuKuKaChu]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Loc: Somebody's watching me......
Was this guy an englishman named Ashley Anderson?

The only Faith that people really have to lose, is faith in themselves...........

Moderator:  NetCop