Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60982 - 13 Sep 07 03:08 Translating Indonesian into English
Larissalampens Offline

Loc: belgium
Tomorrow, all moeslim to walk into ramadhan,and menjalankan ibadah "puasa", selama satu bulan. After ramadhan kami mamasuki lebaran day (Idul fitri).

This time of Lebaran day, kami saling memaafkan antara my parents, my friends and neighbor

Could somebody be so kind to help me translate this? Thank you! (If you would like to help me more, please give me your emailadress for more translations...)

#60984 - 13 Sep 07 06:07 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: Larissalampens]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
The bits in parentheses are my explanations.

Tomorrow, all the Muslims (that she knows) will begin Ramadan, which means we also begin dawn-to-dusk fasting (refraining from cigarettes, sex, gossip, food, drinks and enemas) -- for one entire month. At the end of Ramadan (mid-October this year), we start Lebaran (Eid al Fitr -- a 2-day celebration of feasting with family, similar to Christmas day) During Lebaran, we all ask for forgiveness from relatives, friends and neighbors.

#60985 - 13 Sep 07 07:12 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
You made the bit about the enemas up!

#60986 - 13 Sep 07 07:16 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Dilli

that depends on which of the hadith you are paying attention to.

#60997 - 13 Sep 07 08:15 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

It's totally true. Check it yourself Dill. There are loads of even more bizarre ones. They can't use a Q-tip to clean their ears, if they cough up phlegm, they must immediately spit it out (swallowing would be haram) and many others that just boggle the mind.

You see, the whole point is to deny such worldly pleasures; pleasures of the flesh as it were.

#61001 - 13 Sep 07 08:24 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Deliberate masturbation during the month of Ramadan will render a fast invalid, Iranian Supreme Leader Sayyid Ali Khameini has ruled.

Khameini, who is Iran's most powerful political and religious figure, was asked on his website: "If somebody masturbates during the month of Ramadan but without any discharge, is his fasting invalidated?"

"If he do not intend masturbation and discharging semen and nothing is discharged, his fasting is correct even though he has done a haram (forbidden) act. But, if he intends masturbation or he knows that he usually discharges semen by this process and semen really comes out, it is a haram, intentional breaking fasting," the Iranian leader said, posting the reply on his website.

Another reader asked: "Once in the holy month of Ramadan, I forgot to brush my teeth, and some tiny bits of food remained in my mouth. I swallowed the bits unintentionally. Do I have to perform the qada (repent) for that day's fast?"

"If you did not know that some bits of food remained between the teeth, or you did not know that they would reach the throat, and they were swallowed unknowingly and unintentionally, then you are not liable to make (repent) of the fast," said Khameini.

On the website, Khameini also tells Iranians that only jockeys are permitted to gamble on camel races.

The Iranian leader also told readers they were allowed to "to drink water while standing" at night. It was "not permissible" to take part in meetings attended by both men and women, he told another reader.

"In Islam's view, rulers and governments exist just to serve people and carry out works in the interest of the public and this is what allah demands us, as authorities, to fulfill," Khamenei was quoted Tuesday telling Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

#61002 - 13 Sep 07 08:36 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: KuKuKaChu

that depends on which of the hadith you are paying attention to.

Well the hadith may add a few wrinkles in there, but they can't subtract these 9 main ones, which are clearly stated in the al-Quran:

Official Fasting Violations (if done during the day) from the koran

vs1581. There are nine acts which invalidate the fast:

1. Eating and drinking
2. Sexual intercourse
3. Masturbation (Istimna) which means self abuse, resulting in ejaculation
4. Ascribing false things to Almighty Allah, or his Prophet or to the successors of the Holy Prophet
5. Swallowing thick dust
6. Immersing one's complete head in water
7. Remaining in Janabat or Haidh or Nifas till the Adhan for Fajr prayers
8. Enema with liquids
9. Vomiting

And this exception:
vs1664. If something is put forcibly down the throat of a fasting person, his/her fast does not become void.

#61003 - 13 Sep 07 08:39 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
The late Linda Lovelace would have been OK using vs1664 in her defence then

#61005 - 13 Sep 07 08:47 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

you may have another version of the Koran.

15.81 in the Koran is as follows:

15.81: And We gave them Our communications, but they turned aside from them;

you are almost certainly quoting loopy hadith.

#61008 - 13 Sep 07 08:55 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

direct from online koran

#61009 - 13 Sep 07 08:58 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Of course, the whole point is to refrain from worldly pleasures such as these extremely pleasurable things:
--swallowing phlegm
--swallowing thick dust
--vomiting

#61010 - 13 Sep 07 09:10 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: riccardo
direct from online koran

URL?

#61013 - 13 Sep 07 09:34 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

#61033 - 13 Sep 07 10:56 Re: Translating Indonesian into English [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

that does not look like a quran. looks more like a collection of hadith. any other reference apart from this?

Moderator:  NetCop