Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60947 - 12 Sep 07 19:03 Quake, tsunami alert
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Massive Earthquake off Bengkulu at 6:10pm Jakarta time.

Tsunami warning is ON.

7.8 on Richter scale.

There's general panic amongst the populace in Padang, they're all scrambling for higher ground, trampling the women, children and goats.

official Data from the US geologic service:

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 7.8 (Preliminary magnitude --- subject to revision)
Date-Time

* Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 11:10:31 UTC
* Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 06:10:31 PM at epicenter

Location 3.840S, 102.170E
Depth 33 km (20.5 miles) set by location program
Region SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
Distances 15 km (10 miles) SW of Bengkulu, Sumatra, Indonesia
300 km (185 miles) SSW of Jambi, Sumatra, Indonesia
300 km (185 miles) WSW of Palembang, Sumatra, Indonesia
565 km (350 miles) WNW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia

* NOAA Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

#60948 - 12 Sep 07 19:05 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

#60949 - 12 Sep 07 19:09 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Reuters is calling it 8.0

#60950 - 12 Sep 07 19:25 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Loc: melbourne australia
yeah got the sms from the mini-wife about 1 hr ago saying that there was a huge earthquake. she lives in padang.

no contact since. phones r down.

Edited by yourfather (12 Sep 07 19:25)

#60951 - 12 Sep 07 19:51 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: yourfather]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Detikcom reporting serious damage in Bengkulu, West Sumatra, Riau and Lampung provinces (no mention of Jambi). Officials uncertain of level of destruction/death cos "phones down".

And BMG says the critical period for a potential tsunami has passed, though residents should remain on alert. (Rabu, 12/09/2007 19:46 WIB - Masa Kritis Lewat, Warga Diminta Tetap Waspada).

Edited by kenyeung (12 Sep 07 19:56)

#60957 - 12 Sep 07 20:55 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: kenyeung]
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Powerful quake shakes Indonesia

A powerful earthquake has struck off the western Indonesian island of Sumatra, sparking fears of a tsunami.

Alerts were issued for many Indian Ocean nations after the 7.9 quake, though Indonesia's has now been lifted.

There are reports of buildings collapsing in towns on the west coast of the island of Sumatra, but it is not yet clear whether there are casualties.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6991134.stm

A massive undersea earthquake sparked a tsunami that killed more than 130,000 people in Indonesia in December 2004.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued an alert for the entire Indian Ocean region following the latest quake.

Besides Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and a number of small islands were put on alert.

There were unconfirmed reports of a small tsunami - estimated at 1-3m (3-10ft) hitting the Sumatran coast - but not causing major damage.

However, about two hours after the quake, Indonesia's meteorology agency said the danger of a serious tsunami had passed.

Warnings remained in place in other countries.

Wednesday's earthquake struck at 1810 (1110 GMT), about 15km (nine miles) under the sea, some 100km (60 miles) south-west of the city of Bengkulu, the US Geological Survey said.

Local media said buildings in Padang, the capital of the province of West Sumatra, and in the town of Mukomuko, had collapsed.

"I saw some parts of houses crumbled to the ground but not huge damage. People ran out of their homes," Ayu Claudia, a resident of Bengkulu, told the AFP news agency before the phone went dead.

Officials said it was very difficult to get clear communications with the area to make damage assessments.

They are sending disaster teams from the capital Jakarta, fearing that there may be significant casualties, says the BBC's Lucy Williamson in Jakarta.

There were also reports of inhabitants fleeing swaying buildings in the capital Jakarta and in Singapore.

Fearful memories

Our correspondent says this was the most powerful earthquake in Indonesia since the one which caused the Asian tsunami in 2004, and was dangerously shallow.

The 2004 quake measured 8.9 and struck under the sea near the northern Sumatran province of Aceh, triggering a tsunami that killed more than 220,000 people around the rim of the Indian Ocean.

She says quakes on this scale are rare and memories of 2004 have made the country terrified of a repeat.

Indonesia, part of the seismically active Pacific "Ring of Fire", is frequently shaken by earth tremors.

Peter Kay

#60964 - 12 Sep 07 21:11 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: Magpie]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

INFO UPDATE:

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 8.2
Date-Time

* Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 11:10:26 UTC
* Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 06:10:26 PM at epicenter

Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location 4.517S, 101.382E
Depth 30 km (18.6 miles) set by location program
Region SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
Distances 130 km (80 miles) SW of Bengkulu, Sumatra, Indonesia
410 km (255 miles) SW of Jambi, Sumatra, Indonesia
620 km (385 miles) WNW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia
695 km (435 miles) SSW of SINGAPORE
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 9.4 km (5.8 miles); depth fixed by location program

#60965 - 12 Sep 07 21:13 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

#60966 - 12 Sep 07 21:42 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The island just to the south of the epicenter is called Pulau Enggano, (population around 2,000 native Engganese peoples, which are broken into 5 ethnic clans -- The Kaharuba, Kaarubi, Kaitora, Kaahoao and the Kauno peoples). They are apparently good dancers and they are staunch animists, but Suharto declared them to be Muslims in the late 80s.

The island seems to have taken the hardest hit, but as we can see by the shake map above, it would have had only moderate damage to "vulnerable structures" (yellow parts). Of course, there are no structures in Indonesia that would qualify as "resistant structures" so they're all vulnerable.

It also has world-class diving and a coral reef of some distinction by the Planetary Coral Reef Foundation. It also has the very rare and "critically endangered" Enggano Rat (Rattus enganus)

#60967 - 12 Sep 07 21:49 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
Pujangga

West Sumatra Governor Gamawan Fauzi, who poses as a populist by introducing shariah law and being chummy with Megawati, might have perished in the quake. At the time of the quake, this man of the people was in a car showroom. (Gubernur Sumbar Benarkan Ada Korban Gempa). Meanwhile, Depsos puts opening death toll at 7.

#60969 - 12 Sep 07 22:05 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: kenyeung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Enggano Island is an interesting place. They also got hammered by a similar quake in 2000. (see photo)

Before Krakatoa blew in the 1880s, Enggano Island was a penal colony. Convicts were dropped on the beach by the Dutch colonists on the island and it was every man for himself. Everyone on the island was wiped out after Krakatoa erupted, not by ash or lava, but by the waves of water that just crashed over it.

#60970 - 12 Sep 07 22:10 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Detik says power is out in most areas from Bengkulu to Padang, which means... most of the mosques won't be able to broadcast their Ramadan stuff. What will the people do??!!

Any bets on how long until we hear some public figure say something to the effect that "we must have sinned against allah... he's punishing us..."

#60971 - 12 Sep 07 22:13 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Another pic from the aftermath of the June 2000 quake off of Enggano Island:

#60976 - 12 Sep 07 22:52 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
My fiance can't get through to her mother and sisters in northern Lampung.

#60977 - 12 Sep 07 22:57 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

A seemingly over-the-top article:

Quake Triggers Tsunami in Indonesia
Powerful Earthquake Shakes Western Indonesia, Triggers Tsunami; 7 Dead, 100 Injured

By ROBIN McDOWELL Associated Press Writer
JAKARTA, Indonesia Sep 12, 2007 (AP)

A massive earthquake shook Indonesia on Wednesday, killing seven people, injuring 100 and triggering a small tsunami that hit one city on the island of Sumatra, authorities said. Tsunami warnings were issued for much of the Indian Ocean region.

The 8.2-magnitude quake off Sumatra badly damaged buildings along the coast and could be felt in at least four countries, with tall buildings swaying as far as 1,200 miles away.

It was followed by a series of powerful aftershocks, the strongest of which registered at a magnitude of 6.6 and triggered a second tsunami alert for Indonesia, the meteorological agency reported.

At least seven people were killed in three Sumatran towns, Social Affairs Department official Felix Valentino told the news portal detik.com. Phone lines and electricity also were cut. Most of the damage appeared to be from the quake.

A wave of up to 9 feet was reported to have struck the city of Padang about 20 minutes after the initial quake, said Suhardjono, an official with Indonesia's meteorological agency, who goes by only one name.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center also reported that a small tsunami hit Padang.

Several buildings in Padang were damaged and at least one car showroom collapsed, according to the news Web site detik.com, which said people were searching to see if anyone was inside. It did not say whether the quake or wave caused the damage. Suhardjono said communication with the area was difficult.

At least one person was killed and dozens injured in Bengkulu, the town closest to the epicenter, local government official Salamun Harius told El Shinta radio.

Residents in Bengkulu, where at least one building was demolished, said the quake triggered panic and that people ran inland.

"Everyone is running out of their houses in every direction," said Wati Said, who spoke by cell phone standing outside her house. "We think our neighborhood is high enough. God willing, if the water comes, it will not touch us here."

"Communication is cut, we can't call out," she added. "I don't know how you contacted us. Everyone is afraid."

#60978 - 12 Sep 07 23:07 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Piss Salon

What's the point of having that high-tech tsunami warning system if they don't have at least a couple of secure, emergency land lines for people to communicate back and forth to BMG?? Not a single local TV station has anything on it. Not TVRI, not METRO nada, nada. They've all got these pre-taped religious programs with idiots in Arabian nomad garb and/or infotainment where everybody puts on these way over-the-top, over-acted fits of laughter.

Only CNN or Internet or El Shinta radio station have informed people, and only 8% of Indonesians have the first two and the El Shinta is only in Jabotabek.

This tsunami "warning" system is therefore a total joke without an accompanying communication system that works. It's like the Indons accepting a spaceship that can go to Mars, but they don't have anyone who knows how to operate it, they don't have a launch pad and they don't have the fuel.

#60979 - 12 Sep 07 23:54 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
Pujangga

Quoting: riccardo
Not TVRI, not METRO nada, nada. They've all got these pre-taped religious programs with idiots in Arabian nomad garb and/or infotainment where everybody puts on these way over-the-top, over-acted fits of laughter.

Never expect anything from TVRI apart from a very sexy female bule teacher called Amber (with a long beaked nose) on a superb English quiz/game show.

Metro and SCTV have been providing quake coverage, which is being used by international bulletins. And Depkes puts the death toll at 2 (cf 7 from Depsos)

Edited by kenyeung (12 Sep 07 23:57)

#60981 - 13 Sep 07 01:13 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus

They were miraculously rescued when they work from bed and answered the telephone ....

Anyway, anyone know about the bule Simon who worked for Metro TV? I think I know who it was. Stayed with him in a guesthouse place in Lebak Bulus. An ephydrene (spl?)-snorting, beer addict whose body was found rotting in his room? Young guy too. Did the occassional voice-over and English for the English program? Guess there's a vacancy Kenny. Will dig further on both fronts.

#60987 - 13 Sep 07 07:16 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Official magnitude raised to 8.4 and there were at least for really big aftershocks -- ranging from 5.7 to 6.1 yesterday.

And at 6:49 am Thursday a new aftershock of 7.9 just hit near the Mentawai islands off the coast of Padang.

#60988 - 13 Sep 07 07:19 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: Piss Salon]
Pujangga

Anyway, anyone know about the bule Simon who worked for Metro TV? I think I know who it was. Stayed with him in a guesthouse place in Lebak Bulus.

Simon Jones. His passing is discussed by some of his Metro TV colleagues and his siblings on a couple of blogs. There but for the grace of god...

http://mryasha.multiply.com/journal/item/90/That_Simon_Bule_Guy

http://maverickid.com/2007/08/21/goodbye-simon-jones/

#60989 - 13 Sep 07 07:20 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

latest aftershock details -- this one could be worse than the big one last night for the city of Padang for 2 reasons -- it's a shallow one (only 10km) and it's physically closer:

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 7.5
Date-Time

* Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 23:49:01 UTC
* Thursday, September 13, 2007 at 06:49:01 AM at epicenter

Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location 2.525S, 100.965E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region KEPULAUAN MENTAWAI REGION, INDONESIA
Distances 195 km (120 miles) SSE of Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia
205 km (125 miles) NW of Bengkulu, Sumatra, Indonesia
555 km (345 miles) SW of SINGAPORE
765 km (475 miles) WNW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.4 km (8.3 miles); depth fixed by location program

#60990 - 13 Sep 07 07:27 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

#60991 - 13 Sep 07 07:30 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
The aftershocks were apparently clearly manifested at the Monas as reported by the pope who was having a piss in the bushes at the time! smile

Attachments
Monas.gif

#60993 - 13 Sep 07 07:41 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: riccardo]
Pujangga

Quoting: riccardo
latest aftershock details -- this one could be worse than the big one last night for the city of Padang...

Latest quake also likely much worse for Jambi. While Hotel Bumi Minang in Padang has reportedly collasped (Kamis, 13/09/2007 07:30 WIB - Hotel Bumi Minang Roboh Separo, Turis Berhamburan).

Health Ministry now putting the death toll from Wednesday evening's quake at six: five in Bengkulu, one in Padang. But still much rubble to sort through.

#60994 - 13 Sep 07 07:56 Re: Quake, tsunami alert [Re: kenyeung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

50% of buildings in N. Bengkulu flattened

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop