Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60770 - 10 Sep 07 19:08 RI mob burns Aussie Flag
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Flag burning arouses anti-Australian sentiments

September 9

JAKARTA (JP): Antiforeigner sentiments marked a series of demonstrations which took place across the capital on Wednesday.

A group of some 200 students from private Sahid University staged a protest in front of the Australian Embassy on Jl. Rasuna Said in South Jakarta. Several of the protesters were able to enter the embassy's compound, where they lowered the Australian flag and raised the Indonesian flag in its place.

Another group of several hundred protesters from the People's Sovereigntyand National Unity Struggle staged a demonstration in front of the United Nations office on Jl. M.H. Thamrin in Central Jakarta, where they burned the UN and Australian flags.

Chanting the national anthem, Indonesia Raya, the protesters in front of the Australian Embassy said they were retaliating against the recent burning of an Indonesian flag in Melbourne, Australia.

A security officer at the embassy, Haryanto, said a few minutes before the protesters dispersed, an embassy staff member gave him a letter expressing the Australian government's regret over "recent violent protests within Indonesian consular premises in Australia".

At 5.30 p.m, an embassy employee, assisted by two embassy security guards and a local staff member, lowered the Indonesian flag and raised the Australian flag.

Meanwhile, the protesters in front of the UN office denounced the results of the East Timor ballot, accusing the UN Mission in East Timor (UNAMET) of manipulating the ballot count to favor the pro-independence camp.

Two other groups, the Nationalist Youth Unity and the Communication Forum of the Children of Veterans of East Timor's Seroja Operation, later joined the protest.

#60772 - 10 Sep 07 20:13 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: riccardo
the protesters were able to enter the embassy's compound, where they lowered the Australian flag and raised the Indonesian flag in its place.

i fing this very difficult to believe, frankly! getting into the oz embassy is a major challenge even for an australian citizen!! is there independent confirmation of this event??

#60774 - 10 Sep 07 22:13 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Absolutely there is confirmation. I saw it with my own eyes. It was the first day I was back in Jakarta after my East Timor/UNAMET work (via Darwin) was done. I heard about the demo and went to watch myself. It was a major friggin' event and was reported all over the world. I can't believe you don't remember.

#60775 - 10 Sep 07 22:20 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Here's just one of many articles available that confirm it. They friggin' invited local and foreign journos because they wanted it to be covered.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Australia Plans E. Timor U.N. Force

Filed at 8:14 a.m. EDT By The Associated Press, September 8, 1999
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/i/AP-Australia-East-Timor.html

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) -- Australia is pressing ahead with plans to assemble a U.N. peacekeeping force ....

In Jakarta, some 200 people rallied in front of the Australian Embassy to protest the burning of the Indonesian flags in several cities in Australia in recent days by members of the East Timorese community who were mourning the carnage in their homeland.

At least eight demonstrators managed to scale the embassy gate and enter the compound. They pulled down the Australian flag and burned it, replacing it with the Indonesian flag. They did not enter the building.

#60777 - 10 Sep 07 22:54 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
ah, pre 11/9.

#60778 - 11 Sep 07 01:31 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Why are you posting stories written in 1999?

#60779 - 11 Sep 07 03:26 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
yes I was wondering that

#60780 - 11 Sep 07 04:37 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Retrogressive Journalism or Rip Van Winkle syndrome?

#60789 - 11 Sep 07 08:03 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: Dilli]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
sahid university?

HEY.... That is a cool University full of peaceful students!!

#60806 - 11 Sep 07 10:09 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Piss Salon

It was EXACTLY 8 years ago this week. For those who forget history and sweep it under the rug are bound to repeat all the mistakes.

Also, one of the projects I'm working on involves a lot of research on all the mayhem in ET during the tragic month of Sept. 1999 -- so I'm actually re-living it in a way.

The subject matter is about Indonesia's collective psychological denial as it relates to the ET independence vote and the mayhem that was carried out in their names thereafter.

#60860 - 12 Sep 07 06:22 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
Absolutely there is confirmation. I saw it with my own eyes. It was the first day I was back in Jakarta after my East Timor/UNAMET work (via Darwin) was done. I heard about the demo and went to watch myself. It was a major friggin' event and was reported all over the world. I can't believe you don't remember.

Perhaps KuKu has a selective memory condition - seems to affect many journalist types.

#60861 - 12 Sep 07 06:25 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Not only journalists...what day is it?

#60862 - 12 Sep 07 06:26 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here

It's called "Go on and on Syndrome" , also known as "bore the bollocks out of people disease" .

I find the article interesting and informative and I'm going to post something interesting in response directly after I complete in this Olympic running around event thing.

#60923 - 12 Sep 07 14:04 Re: RI mob burns Aussie Flag [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

It's called "Go on and on Syndrome" , also known as "bore the bollocks out of people disease" .

No, it's simply highlighting an interesting event on its 8th anniversary.

Moderator:  NetCop