Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60752 - 10 Sep 07 12:20 Where is the F---ing American Football
Ship Of Fools Offline

Loc: Jakarta
Does anybody have any idea or theories about why there isn't any American football on ESPN this year? If I see one more re-run of X games or whatever I'm going to puke.

#60757 - 10 Sep 07 13:44 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: Ship Of Fools]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Ship Of Fools
Does anybody have any idea or theories about why there isn't any American football on ESPN this year?

let me take a stab at this one: there isn't any american football on tele because hardly anyone here would watch it! wink

#60794 - 11 Sep 07 08:50 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: KuKuKaChu]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
should move to australia then.... i watched it yesterday. My bf used to record it and we watched it together. Not that i really like it

#60795 - 11 Sep 07 08:51 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Maybe because of stuff like this....??

-------------------------------------------

Bills' Everett likely to be paralyzed after 'catastrophic' neck injury
By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
September 10, 2007

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury while trying to make a tackle during the Buffalo Bills' season opener and is unlikely to walk again, the surgeon who operated on him Monday said.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," orthopedic surgeon Andrew Cappuccino said. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Everett was hurt Sunday after he ducked his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff. Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

#60797 - 11 Sep 07 09:01 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

But seriously, I'm not the biggest NFL fan (prefer the college game), but I always liked Monday and Tuesday mornings, tuning into the live NFL games. What the heck is going on with this ESPN/Kabelvision bullshit?

There must be several thousand people in Jakarta that are interested in watching it -- between the N. American oil guys, teachers and other businessmen, and all those local guys who got turned on to it while at university in the U.S. -- that's a lot of people within Kabelvision's market share. We should get an online petition together and present them with an ultimatum.

AND KUKU: Despite your own personal issues with american football, do you seriously think more viewers are interested in 2-year-old re-runs of asinine X-games??

#60800 - 11 Sep 07 09:32 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: riccardo
"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," orthopedic surgeon Andrew Cappuccino said.

You're making it up Ricc. Andrew Cappuccino fer fuck's sake.

#60802 - 11 Sep 07 09:46 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

No, that was the front page story on yahoo sports. I also was taken aback a bit by the name, especially as I was drinking a cappucino at the time.

Anyway... For anyone interested, such as Ship of Fools or any other American Football fans... here are some contact details to let your voice be heard -- tell all your mates with similar interests:

Singapore -- ESPN Asia offices
ESPN STAR Sports 151 Lorong Chuan 03-01 New Tech Park Singapore 556741
Tel: +65-6488 6500
Facsimile: +65-6488 6470

This is the website with the contact form:
http://espnstar.com/corporate/corpo_contactus.jsp

#60817 - 11 Sep 07 12:57 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I am almost certain I saw a college game on TV the other day. While I don't tend to follow American football I have been to a few NFL games and college games and I can tell you that college football wins hands down! Ric would know more but the impression I got was that more people in America follow the college football than the pro-football. Also the money involved is mind blowing!

#60831 - 11 Sep 07 16:20 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Yes, there was a good college game on here Sunday (in fact, my uncle used to the coach of the red team), but looking at their schedule for the rest of the month, it seems to have been some kind of bizarre one-off thing.

On their website ( espnstar.com ) you can view all the schedules in different Asian countries covered by ESPNStar Sports, and it's interesting that the Philippines gets two live college games per week. That would be great if they had a similar deal here, but it's not looking like it for the time being.

#60856 - 12 Sep 07 04:36 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: riccardo]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Go SD CHARGERS! they gonna kill NE patriots! i'll be at the yankee doodles this suday! are you watching Ricc?

#60865 - 12 Sep 07 06:46 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
But seriously, I'm not the biggest NFL fan (prefer the college game), but I always liked Monday and Tuesday mornings, tuning into the live NFL games. What the heck is going on with this ESPN/Kabelvision bullshit?

There must be several thousand people in Jakarta that are interested in watching it -- between the N. American oil guys, teachers and other businessmen, and all those local guys who got turned on to it while at university in the U.S. -- that's a lot of people within Kabelvision's market share. We should get an online petition together and present them with an ultimatum.

AND KUKU: Despite your own personal issues with american football, do you seriously think more viewers are interested in 2-year-old re-runs of asinine X-games??

#60871 - 12 Sep 07 07:22 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I sort off came up with a similar number.........

#60873 - 12 Sep 07 07:29 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
what's an X game?

#60875 - 12 Sep 07 07:37 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think it involves sports and nudity smile My kind of activities!

Naked solo formation swimming, menage a trois on the beam, 100 metres foreplay, the "cum-shot putt", and the 400 metres hand job relay!

#60896 - 12 Sep 07 11:14 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I just received this letter of good tidings from ESPN's CorpComms Manager and she said this:

"...We have been broadcasting NFL for over a decade and while it has been our endeavor to continue showcasing the same to our viewers in Asia, we regret to say that despite our best efforts we were unable to renew our contract ...

However, we are glad to share with you that we have added another powerful offering in the form of NCAA College Football to our existing line-up. Starting today, coverage of NCAA Football begins on ESPN and fans like yourself will get to watch up to 2 games per week from such powerhouse conferences as the Big Ten, the Big 12, the Pac Ten and the SEC. In addition you can look forward to viewing Bowl Games including the Capital One Bowl and the Rose Bowl.

In addition to bringing NCAA Football to fans across Asia, ESPN STAR Sports will shortly be broadcasting the US edition of SportsCenter, thus giving sports fans like yourself an opportunity to watch news, highlights & analysis of your favorite sports every day. We shall soon inform you of the launch date and the schedule...."

#61076 - 13 Sep 07 16:39 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: riccardo]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

X games are skate-board, mountain bikes, motocross and other Xtreme sports, kuku...

If there's no NFL it's probably their own fault, they charge an insane amount of money for a license, and for what? broadcast a show nobody watch here...

#61080 - 13 Sep 07 17:19 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: Orang Kanada]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: Orang Kanada
X games are skate-board, mountain bikes, motocross and other Xtreme sports, kuku...

If there's no NFL it's probably their own fault, they charge an insane amount of money for a license, and for what? broadcast a show nobody watch here...

4 people watch it

#61118 - 14 Sep 07 06:55 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Allegedly

#61768 - 22 Sep 07 13:06 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: Dilli]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

There's a game RIGHT NOW on CNBC!

#61770 - 22 Sep 07 13:17 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: Orang Kanada]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I didn't believe you when you wrote that O.K., but I just checked and indeed you are correct. It was a game from last Sunday, but still that's pretty cool. US-based NBC-TV has the rights to NFL games, so I guess they decided to allow their cousin CNBC broadcast it here.

I wonder if it'll be a regular thing?

#61790 - 23 Sep 07 10:25 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: riccardo]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Uh? You naturaly assumed that I'm a liar? lol

I notice it's a week old game, but it's still better than a kick in the groin.

#61791 - 23 Sep 07 10:31 Re: Where is the F---ing American Football [Re: Orang Kanada]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Liar! A similar thought had crossed my mind when I saw the post in question

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop