Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60629 - 07 Sep 07 20:37 Kabelvision->FirstMedia
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Okay, what a complete fucking train wreck from hell this week has been. First off, I haven't had an Internet connection since Sunday night (Sept. 2) until just now -- 8pm Friday night!!

I have the Kabel broadband thing with both Centrin and Kabelvision (which is now First media something or other). Trying to call their one and only customer service number (they patently refuse to let you speak to a tech guy or any kind of manager) has been an excruciating ordeal all week. They told us every story in the book... "the cable was cut in your area" (turned out to be a lie) ... then it was, "you have a new modem and haven't registered it yet" (I've had the same modem for the past 3 years and the same account with them for the past 3 years!!!) ... then we found out the REAL problem.

FirstMedia has, as some of you may have seen in the news over the last couple weeks, invested $650 million in new tech stuff and they are going to effectively also be their own ISP so we don't have to also use Centrin or CBN or whatever...

That new ISP of theirs is called FastNet and their prices and products seem okay, but can anybody trust these greed monkeys with even more technology??

What it finally came down to was that in the process of changing all their existing customers (like me) over to this FastNet network system, they lost "around 1,000" customers' registration information. Mine was one of those. At the end of the day, all they needed to do on Monday, was put a tech guy on the phone with me and I could've walked him through my computer and all the modem numbers he needs to input back into their system, but they kept telling us lies -- for a gawwd damned WEEK!

You can take a pack of psychotic monkeys out of the jungle and sit them down in front a state-of-the-art computer system, but they'll still be monkeys. If you're lucky, they'll at least tell you the truth.

#60630 - 07 Sep 07 20:50 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
It's a rum do.

#60634 - 08 Sep 07 02:46 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: kenyeung]
Patung Offline
Member++

Fastnet, at least in surabaya they said the offer below was a plan for some indeterminate point in the near or far future. http://www.firstmedia.com/fastnet_product.html

#60637 - 08 Sep 07 04:28 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: Patung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I got Telkom Speedy installed as Fastnet (I used Uninet through Kabelvision) kept dropping in and out.

Seems the only way to have un-interrupted net access is to have two providers.

And yes, it was noticed that things were much quieter last week smile

#60668 - 08 Sep 07 22:18 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
My "problem" was having only fibre - so the local distribution centre had to wait for equipment to turn up . The upside is that we get a true 2 Meg with a very low contention ratio - All that for slightly more than 10 quid a month.

#60669 - 08 Sep 07 22:25 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

The other valid point is that so few people really understand what ADSL is and how it works, what with all those "modem numbers" and all.

I had a UK handphone cut off for two days last week by psychotic white monkeys in Borehamwood . The alleged that there was an unbilled usage of 382 on the account and with a text or an email cut off two business phones . Their website was down and the only trained monkey they could provide would have been an old Bet Lynch lookalike 10 years ago with a fag hanging out of her gob , and the best she could do was to tell me to "phone them in accounts in the mawning luvvie"

Quote:
Thanks for your email to Vodafone Customer Services regarding the charges on your account.

I'll be happy to help you.

I have checked your account and can see that while you were in Indonesia the unbilled usage charge was 386.98 and we had sent you an SMS regarding the same on 29th August 2007.

As your usage was very high, so that any fradulant do not happen we had placed a bar on your account however on 31st August 2007 you spoke to one of the adviser and the adviser have removed the bar from your account.

Reverted to:-

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear your unhappy with the response you've received to your query, I'd like to get this resolved for you.

I can confirm that we are currently experiencing technical problems with our online services, our engineers are aware of this and are working to rectify this problem as soon as possible as we do realise how important this service is to our customers, I am sorry for any problems this is causing you.

I've looked into your account and can see that your account was barred by our credit alerts team as your usage charges were becoming high, there was a text message sent to your phones on the 29th August asking you to contact Vodafone regarding your usage, as you did not contact us there was a bar placed on your phone on the 30th August, this is a option Vodafone uses to protect it's customer incase your phone has been lost or stolen as you didn't call us to discuss this.

I've looked at your unbilled usage and for number ending in 140 and can see that in August your unbilled calls are 15.12 and up to the 3rd September they are currently 2.26, for mobile number ending in 940 your unbilled calls are currently 44.89.

What I've done for you as a gesture of goodwill is added a credit to your account for 20 for all the problems you've had, this has been taken against the balance on your account of 55.58 and has left your balance at 35.58 to be taken from your account on the 14th September 2007.

So much for the white monkeys

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (08 Sep 07 22:28)

#60671 - 09 Sep 07 00:00 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Patung Offline
Member++

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
My "problem" was having only fibre - so the local distribution centre had to wait for equipment to turn up . The upside is that we get a true 2 Meg with a very low contention ratio - All that for slightly more than 10 quid a month.

What are you using for that and how do I get it? My little terror keeps bugging me about whether I've finished illegally downloading the latest so-bad-it's-riveting episode of Power Rangers Operation Overdrive, and being on Kabelkrapnet I'm lucky to get down 10mb in an hour and a 20 minute episode is about 230 mb...., and don't even start thinking about movies...

#60677 - 09 Sep 07 06:04 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: Patung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Eff me Patung, on Kabel 10MB an hour is great... Power Rangers? Never took you for a fan.

#60719 - 09 Sep 07 14:58 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: Dilli]
Patung Offline
Member++

Yep, bit of an aficionado on PR now, got the first 23 episodes of season 2007 if anyone wants em, quality stuff.

This fellow's name is Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg, or Norg for short.

Attachments
norg.jpg

#60721 - 09 Sep 07 15:29 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: Patung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Patung
Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

What are you using for that and how do I get it? My little terror keeps bugging me about whether I've finished illegally downloading the latest so-bad-it's-riveting episode of Power Rangers Operation Overdrive, and being on Kabelkrapnet I'm lucky to get down 10mb in an hour and a 20 minute episode is about 230 mb...., and don't even start thinking about movies...

Well I was led to believe that because one of the Telkom chiefs from Surabaya has a gurt big house reasonably close by that they brought a fibre feeder onto the perumahan and then took the T2 feed directly into an ADSL modulator feeding the racks - thus it is pretty fast - enough that I can now access the UK server through a tunnel .

Try to use emule - this also helps speed things up, truth is that all of the slowness may not always be at your end .

Attachments
untitled.JPG

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (09 Sep 07 15:32)

#62948 - 04 Oct 07 13:04 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I just got Fastnet, the 600k per month version, and am blown away by the speed. Amazing. Am now attempting to get them to change it to the cheaper version. Wish me luck ....

#62972 - 04 Oct 07 16:23 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

"and am blown away "

That's all that you will be getting blown for a while! smile

#63007 - 04 Oct 07 21:41 Re: Kabelvision->FirstMedia [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Is delicate licking allowed?

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop