Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60473 - 06 Sep 07 11:52 TransJakarta
laughingmagpie Offline

Loc: jakarta
Morning everyone....hope all is well.
I am a mad as hell after my morning TransJakarta busride. I was waiting near the back door of the bus with about 15 Indonesians who were allowed to enter by the SatGas guy manning the door. He tried to physically prevent me from entering even though I was about second in the line (not that lines matter at anytime in this part of the world) but my anger at this injustice made me push past this guy to get on anyway. I successfully boarded but they tried to close the door on me and my bag was caught in the door. Only when I screamed obscenities in Bahasa was the door opened.

Now if a similar incident occurred to an Indonesian on a city train in a western country would this not be front page news material with consequent calls for demos and sweepings? I would be interested to hear from anyone with similar experiences.

#60476 - 06 Sep 07 12:16 Re: TransJakarta [Re: laughingmagpie]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Being a veteran Busway commuter, I can only advise you to be more patient and stop whining. It is the job of the satgas to prevent too many passengers from boarding to prevent overcrowding. If you are impatient and don't like queuing Indonesia-style (queue-jumping and pushing) then take a taxi instead. And tone down the hyperbule for cedric's sake.

Edited by kenyeung (06 Sep 07 12:48)
Edit Reason: modesty

#60480 - 06 Sep 07 12:25 Re: TransJakarta [Re: kenyeung]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Just sounds like a frustrating day .... Having worked in London for many years I can tell you that many a person gets trapped in doors, crushed in the peak hour stampede and abused by rude transportation staff. There is nothing a London bus driver likes more than watching some poor bastard run 100 meters to try and catch his bus before slamming the door in his face and laughing as he drives off.

Its nothing to do with you being a bule ... just Darwin's theory in effect (only the strong will survive)

Why not do what I do ... get your driver to take you in air-conditioned comfort so you can relax with a nice cool beverage and watch the old Ipod while you get from point A to Point B

#60485 - 06 Sep 07 12:32 Re: TransJakarta [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
You only work five minutes away from home. What do you watch, an episode from the Magic Roundabout?

#60488 - 06 Sep 07 12:34 Re: TransJakarta [Re: chewwyUK]
Polisi Cepek Offline
Member*

Loc: Di tengah hutan
The dumb thing is that the busway stops are cleverly arranged to have two sets of doors on each side, one for passengers alighting, one for those getting on. But the buses don't. Pity cause this would solve the problem of the multitude of bastards who camp at the door for the entire duration of their trip, fearful they won't be able to get off, but preventing others from getting on.

This makes the kenek/satgas guy think the bus is full when it's not, so he won't let people on even when the damn thing is 2/3 empty.

#60489 - 06 Sep 07 12:36 Re: TransJakarta [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

while I do live close to the office ... I also tend to go to around 5-6 client meetings a week. I spend my fair share of time on traffic jams ... last week I managed to blast through a very good Freddy Mercury documentary as well as one on Keith Moon

#60490 - 06 Sep 07 12:38 Re: TransJakarta [Re: Polisi Cepek]
Patung Offline
Member++

You could get a motorbike.

#60505 - 06 Sep 07 20:06 Re: TransJakarta [Re: Patung]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Riding a motorbike wearing a suit is a pain-in-the-arse. Particularly when it is raining. And road-rage fights always end in buttons being ripped from my new shirts, newly replaced after the previous day's road-rage fight.

#60536 - 06 Sep 07 21:25 Re: TransJakarta [Re: Piss Salon]
Patung Offline
Member++

Well I'd get a raincoat and put suit in backpack and change at work, i've always liked riding a bike here but that's in surabaya, for jakarta it may be just too unpleasant, the bike riders there certainly seem unusually demented the few times I've visited.

#60541 - 06 Sep 07 22:07 Re: TransJakarta [Re: chewwyUK]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
anyway it's not about the TransJakarta that made me Prustrating today...

today:
1. I lost my money for my credit card payment and also for the dentist...
2. I got warning from my boss coz of something in office and it was make me crying in front of my boss..sooooooo childish cry
3. my boss lost his mobile
4. a tree branch fell on my boss's car

just unbelievable...how come the worst happened today? confused frown cry

#60543 - 06 Sep 07 22:19 Re: TransJakarta [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
Shesca Offline
Member*

How do items no. 3 and 4 be your problems? He gave you a warning, its his karma... smile

Joke of course..

#60546 - 06 Sep 07 22:38 Re: TransJakarta [Re: Shesca]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quoting: Shesca
How do items no. 3 and 4 be your problems? He gave you a warning, its his karma... smile

Joke of course..

exactly not my prob smile just unbelievable why the worst happened at the same time smile

not karma at all, Shes..it's 100% my fault wink

#60550 - 06 Sep 07 23:08 Re: TransJakarta [Re: laughingmagpie]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Quoting: laughingmagpie
Morning everyone....hope all is well.
I am a mad as hell after my morning TransJakarta busride. I was waiting near the back door of the bus with about 15 Indonesians who were allowed to enter by the SatGas guy manning the door. He tried to physically prevent me from entering even though I was about second in the line (not that lines matter at anytime in this part of the world) but my anger at this injustice made me push past this guy to get on anyway. I successfully boarded but they tried to close the door on me and my bag was caught in the door. Only when I screamed obscenities in Bahasa was the door opened.

Now if a similar incident occurred to an Indonesian on a city train in a western country would this not be front page news material with consequent calls for demos and sweepings? I would be interested to hear from anyone with similar experiences.

Despite the many cons from the general public, both the passengers and the car riders whose number of lanes' got reduced which had caused heavier rate of cars for each lanes, I still think Transjakarta is the best solution for our overpopulated road. All we need are just more buses, buildings with low cost all day parking rate at the proximity of main stops, better maintained bus stops (including the regular repair on the walkway along the bridges to the stops), and better traffic regulation to avoid the cars or other vehicles to enter the bus lanes or getting in the way of the buses.

Edited by Shesca (06 Sep 07 23:09)

#60552 - 06 Sep 07 23:15 Re: TransJakarta [Re: Shesca]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

And an aqueduct.

#60564 - 07 Sep 07 06:38 Re: TransJakarta [Re: kenyeung]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

JJG -- Is your boss "losing" his phone and a tree branch "falling" on his car a direct result of him making you cry?

Moderator:  NetCop