Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60153 - 01 Sep 07 10:56 From Rat to Cat
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar

An Australian has come up with a novel solution to the millions of feral cats roaming the Outback: eat them.

Wild cats - the escaped descendants of domestic cats - kill millions of small native animals each year. Now the tables have turned and they find themselves on the menu.

A bush tucker competition held at the weekend in Alice Springs, in the Red Centre of the continent, featured something new: wild cat casserole.

"It's a white meat," said Kay Kessing, who came up with the recipe. "They vary a lot. The first cat I cooked didn't have a strong flavour. I put a lot of ingredients with it and made a beautiful stew. This cat that I've cooked is slightly larger. It has a slightly stronger flavour, but not as strong as rabbit."

Mrs Kessing said she would never dream of cooking a domestic cat. "It should always be wild," she told ABC radio. "And we should be eating donkeys and horse meat, like the French do."

But health authorities in the Northern Territory warned that eating cats could be risky. "It is not illegal to eat feral cat for your own consumption, or your family's," said Xavier Schobben, the director of the health department. But there is no guarantee that any feral animal that hasn't been subject to post-mortem examination is safe."

#60157 - 01 Sep 07 13:35 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Dilli]
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
so they catch them how?

lots of people now eat kangaroo- you can get kangabangas at coles-lean meat etc.

I would just end up vegetarian I think.

..take only what you need..

#60158 - 01 Sep 07 13:50 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Ena]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

There are some great resources for those wishing to indulge in Feline gastronomy...here's my favourite.

http://www.ooze.com/ooze13/cats.html

#60161 - 01 Sep 07 15:24 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: Dilli
There are some great resources for those wishing to indulge in Feline gastronomy...here's my favourite.

http://www.ooze.com/ooze13/cats.html

You mean pussy eating??

#60199 - 02 Sep 07 13:29 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Roy's Hair]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
The cat and the dinner party

"A cat in Sydney's eastern suburbs was taken to a vet high on cocaine and benzodiazepines.

The eight-month-old Himalayan cat arrived at the Double Bay clinic on Monday morning with dilated pupils and a racing heart after being accidentally locked in a cupboard overnight, Fairfax newspapers reported.

It was having trouble walking, was easily startled, paced incessantly and was too anxious to have a thermometer inserted into its rectum, said a report in this month's edition of Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.

The owner was adamant the cat had not been exposed to drugs, mouldy food or toxic plants.

But when the vet phoned the owner's wife, she admitted the cat could have licked "plates of cocaine" which had been served at a dinner party two days earlier.

A drug screen also revealed benzodiazepines in the cat's system.

The owner was counselled and allowed to take the cat home as there is no legal requirement for vets to report such cases to the police."

#60202 - 02 Sep 07 13:42 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Ena]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Quoting: Ena
so they catch them how?

lots of people now eat kangaroo- you can get kangabangas at coles-lean meat etc.

I would just end up vegetarian I think.

Eating kangaroo is acceptable, i ate one before in one of steakhouse here, the taste is not bad. but CAT????? How can anyone wanna hurt that cute little creature??? frown

#60234 - 02 Sep 07 18:08 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: emmajkt]
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
poor double bay cat!!Thats like cat abuse .

I don't mind the kangaroo either emmajkt. The meat itself is quite lean and not fatty at all. And its apparently a destructive pest to those farming types ,so for eating purposes why not.
We actually used to feed kangaroo to our cats -it was always just really a pet food before.

..take only what you need..

#60430 - 05 Sep 07 19:27 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Ena]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Loc: at my desk
Awww poor cat. Miauw cry Was told people in Menado also eat cat and rat (yikes!) and also dog (errrrr) and bat (how does it taste?)

#60431 - 05 Sep 07 19:38 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: bonita]
Queenie Offline
Member++

Loc: Earth
omg thats sadism... i cant even look at that pics poor kittie...
Quoting: bonita
Awww poor cat. Miauw cry Was told people in Menado also eat cat and rat (yikes!) and also dog (errrrr) and bat (how does it taste?)

omg thats sadism... i cant even look at that pics poor kitties...
i've always heard that chinese ppl eat everything that moves lol cats, dogs, bugs, ... and i really dont care what they taste.. yuckkkk

#60434 - 05 Sep 07 21:22 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Queenie]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think I have eaten just about everything China can throw at you when I had lunch in the countryside. I also think they were testing me... I drew the line at what I was told was "some kind of pork".

#60436 - 05 Sep 07 21:36 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Dilli]
Queenie Offline
Member++

pork?? pork with a hairy tale lol it could be everything Dilli... omg did u like it?? i think if i go there one day ill eat butter sandwiches only lol at last i know what im eating lol

#60443 - 06 Sep 07 04:48 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Queenie]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

"Butter Sandwiches" No chance. You would have to find the bread first and then the butter. Five star hotels, no problem, but out in the country, no chance!

#60577 - 07 Sep 07 09:29 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Piss Salon
The cat and the dinner party

"A cat in Sydney's eastern suburbs was taken to a vet high on cocaine and benzodiazepines.

The eight-month-old Himalayan cat arrived at the Double Bay clinic on Monday morning with dilated pupils and a racing heart after being accidentally locked in a cupboard overnight, Fairfax newspapers reported.

It was having trouble walking, was easily startled, paced incessantly and was too anxious to have a thermometer inserted into its rectum, said a report in this month's edition of Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.

The owner was adamant the cat had not been exposed to drugs, mouldy food or toxic plants.

But when the vet phoned the owner's wife, she admitted the cat could have licked "plates of cocaine" which had been served at a dinner party two days earlier.

A drug screen also revealed benzodiazepines in the cat's system.

The owner was counselled and allowed to take the cat home as there is no legal requirement for vets to report such cases to the police."

Finally found the video

Attachments
zoomkitty.gif

#60596 - 07 Sep 07 15:42 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Dilli]
Queenie Offline
Member++

haha so funny

#60610 - 07 Sep 07 18:06 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Queenie]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Loc: at my desk
Quoting: Queenie
pork?? pork with a hairy tale lol it could be everything Dilli... omg did u like it?? i think if i go there one day ill eat butter sandwiches only lol at last i know what im eating lol

speaking about pork...it's very yummy if it's grilled with chillies on top of it. hmm...nyam "satay babi rica-rica" is the best grin

no offense for those who can't eat pork meat.

#60622 - 07 Sep 07 19:43 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: bonita]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Imagine spoiling good Pork with Chilli, shame on you!

#60633 - 08 Sep 07 01:27 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Queenie]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Quoting: Queenie
haha so funny

Agreed. Extremely amusing. Dilli is a fucking star!

Signed
A Fan

#60635 - 08 Sep 07 04:08 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Twunt

#60638 - 08 Sep 07 04:53 Re: From Rat to Cat [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Dilli
Imagine spoiling good Pork with Chilli, shame on you!

I'll take that back, there is an allowable alternative.

Attachments
chillijambacon.jpg

Moderator:  NetCop