Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59905 - 28 Aug 07 16:03 Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark
Queenie Offline
Member++

Loc: Earth
According to "The Jakarta Post"

"Indonesians across the archipelago are reminded to watch out for absolutely nothing on Tuesday night -- because the lunar eclipse should see the country almost blacked out.
Astronomers have said the eclipse will start in western Indonesia at 3.54 p.m. (western Indonesian time) but would not be visible until the sun sets.
The phenomenon's process should peak at 5.37 p.m. and would be completed by 7.23 p.m.
Those in the east should have the best view against their pitch-black sky and would experience the peak of the eclipse around 9 p.m. their time, astronomers said.
A lunar eclipse occurs when the moon is aligned with the Earth and the sun. During the phenomenon, the moon passes through the earth's shadow, which is divided into umbra and penumbra areas.
Astronomers have prepared a number of procedures to observe the lunar eclipse, which they said will be "deeper" than the country's last one in March, because of a total shadow cast by the Earth.
Senior Bosscha Observation astronomer Moedji Raharto said from Lembang in West Java that the total lunar eclipse this time was of the Saros 128 series and the 40th of the 71 lunar eclipse in the cycle.
"To observe it, we have to stand at the eastern part of a field around 20 degrees south of the sunrise point," he said.
"If we look toward the east, your right hand should face the south."
Astronomers said they would share the phenomenon with all of Indonesia by airing the event through the TVRI state television station from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m."

Too bad, here in Europe we will not see it frown

#59909 - 28 Aug 07 18:00 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: Queenie]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Loc: at my desk
full moon? there's always "something" about it... spookiegrin

#59929 - 29 Aug 07 07:50 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: bonita]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
I saw it last nite from the balcony! the moon was in the top of Sydney City.

It was really beautiful, first it was so bright and its slowly covered by dark shadow, turned completely dark then spooky red dark and slowly bright again.

I got this binoculars, it has a sensation when a whole moon got dark. Like the devil came and ate it hehehe

#59932 - 29 Aug 07 08:39 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: bonita]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
Quoting: bonita
full moon? there's always "something" about it... spookiegrin

Hence the name LUNATICS,...

(George Bernard Shaw)

#59945 - 29 Aug 07 10:33 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: emmajkt]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Quoting: emmajkt

It was really beautiful, first it was so bright and its slowly covered by dark shadow, turned completely dark then spooky red dark and slowly bright again.

Aww.. i missed out!! i only got to see the reddish moon, Thanks to some passerbys who looked up the sky! otherwise i would've missed it completely.

It's beautiful! as though someone carelessly dipped the moon in a combination of black, orange and red water colour.

#59955 - 29 Aug 07 12:20 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: Choc_Cow]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
At it's height, the complete darkness even played havoc with the Bat population....

Attachments
bats.gif

#59961 - 29 Aug 07 13:07 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: Dilli]
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Is there something you want to say Dilli?.............

#59962 - 29 Aug 07 13:08 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: Lulu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Nah, It seem's Bats can be a problematic subject matter here...

#59964 - 29 Aug 07 13:43 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i've never been to BATS. what is it? who goes there?

#59967 - 29 Aug 07 14:02 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Expensive prices, one of the worst bars in Jakarta, crowded and has poofy big beer glasses, safe venue for tourists except for ayam type predators, has the worst staff of any bar I have visited in Jakarta. Not a good meeting place as you cannot talk over the noise.

Full of Yanks with US dollars looking to get laid and thats about it!

#59979 - 29 Aug 07 18:09 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: Dilli]
bonita Offline
Member+++

BATS is in Shangri-la Hotel.

#59982 - 29 Aug 07 19:14 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: bonita]
Pooh Bah

and just how do you know that, young bonita?? hmmm??

#60011 - 30 Aug 07 08:15 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Although it may not have been seen by many, Ind Coup took an excellent shot with the eclipse as viewed beside the Monas.

One of the best photo's I have seen for a while.

See it below but I recommend going to the Blog and reading the whole article!

See it here...

http://indcoup.blogspot.com/

Attachments
IND COUP - Eclipse Aug 2007.jpg

#60016 - 30 Aug 07 08:59 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

interesting juxtaposition.

photo's nice, too ...

#60054 - 30 Aug 07 17:50 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: KuKuKaChu]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Quoting: KuKuKaChu

and just how do you know that, young bonita?? hmmm??

been there once in 2003,pak kuku.

#60098 - 31 Aug 07 12:08 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: Choc_Cow]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Quoting: Chocolatea
Quoting: emmajkt

Aww.. i missed out!! i only got to see the reddish moon, Thanks to some passerbys who looked up the sky! otherwise i would've missed it completely.

It's beautiful! as though someone carelessly dipped the moon in a combination of black, orange and red water colour.

smile the moon in the top of sydney city looked like this that night...

#60115 - 31 Aug 07 16:23 Re: Lunar eclipse will leave Indonesia in the dark [Re: emmajkt]
Queenie Offline
Member++

Loc: Earth
wow very nice pics emma
i noticed yesterday the moon was amazing, very lightly and so big... i should take some pics too laugh maybe next time...

Moderator:  NetCop