Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59653 - 24 Aug 07 18:06 Sicilian Gravy
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
This is a proper Sicilian home-style pasta sauce, but remember, the ingredients are key. As is the pasta you pour it over. In Indonesia there are only 3 brands of pasta -- just read the label and see if it comes from Italy. One of them is Riscossa, another is in a blue box and starts with a B, can't remember the name of the other... This Sicilian Gravy is an ideal complement to penne, rigatoni, fusilli and farfalle (these types "capture" the tomato bits). It's also great for Lasagne and Calamari.

This sauce starts and ends with proper tomatoes!!
I recommend Ranch Market for the produce.

INGREDIENTS
-- 8 nice red, very ripe Pomodori Pelati (aka Plum Tomatoes, aka Roma Tomatoes)
-- 1 head (about 6 cloves) of fresh garlic
-- 3-6 small red chili peppers
-- handful of fresh basil leaves
-- handful of fresh oregano leaves
-- 1/3 cup of virgin olive oil (ideally from Italy or other Mediterranean area)
-- splash of Red Wine Vinegar
-- salt and black pepper to taste
(optional -- onion powder, pitted olives)

PREP
Skin, slice, dice and mash up the garlic almost to a paste to release the oil.
Chop up the chili peppers into tiny bits
Take off all the stems from Basil and Oregano and tear up the leaves a bit
Slice the stem/top off tomatoes, and mash them gently with a fork in a bowl along with the salt, pepper, vinegar.

COOKING
-Pour olive oil into pan on medium heat.
-Put in chili and garlic and simmer until garlic starts to turn yellow.
-pour your bowl of tomatoes, salt, pepper and red wine vinegar into the oil, garlic chili mixture. Stir up well, keep heat on medium to high until it starts to bubble.
- Reduce heat and toss in the basil and oregano simmer for 2-3 minutes more.

RICCARDO

Make sure you have some al dente pasta ready to go, some fresh parmesan to top it off and a bottle of wine.

#59655 - 24 Aug 07 21:03 Re: Sicilian Gravy [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
RICCARDO

WTF........ I bet it was your grandmothers!

#59660 - 24 Aug 07 21:26 Re: Sicilian Gravy [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Sounds great! Do you get the body armour to protect yourself free!

#59666 - 25 Aug 07 01:29 Re: Sicilian Gravy [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

No....., grandma's had egg plant and onions and only 1 chili pepper in it. This is MY version. And anyway, grandma died.

#59673 - 25 Aug 07 08:48 Re: Sicilian Gravy [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
I'm disappointed that you don't make your own pasta - sooo simple and sooo worth the small additional effort.
Be sure to add the sauce to the pasta , not the other way around and of course dress with a little drizzle of olive oil.

What is well worth trying in Indonesia is making you own sundried/sunblushed tomatoes - delicious when added to the sauce at the last moment.

#59680 - 25 Aug 07 09:32 Re: Sicilian Gravy [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

We have a pasta machine and we have, in the past made it. But to get the proper semolina flour and other necessary ingredients here, is actually much more expensive - and time-consuming -- than buying a 2-liter box of quality stuff imported from Italy.

#59683 - 25 Aug 07 10:12 Re: Sicilian Gravy [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
We have a pasta machine and we have, in the past made it. But to get the proper semolina flour and other necessary ingredients here, is actually much more expensive - and time-consuming -- than buying a 2-liter box of quality stuff imported from Italy.

The old pasta machine is handy for knocking out the noodles too.

Amusingly a good deal of pasta was made in the UK and shipped to Italy - this went on for years, Smirnoff "Russian" Vodka is also made in Park Royal.

Moderator:  NetCop