Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59631 - 24 Aug 07 12:06 Mexican Salsa
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I know this was posted in that other long thread, but it deserves its own thread and there is another one here too for Salsa Verde (green tomato salsa).

***Basic Mexican Red Salsa recipe.

I make this about once a week and put into a tupperware container, so there's always some in the fridge.

- 1/2 kg of indon habanero chilies (fat puffy orange and red ones) cleaned and with stems chopped off.
- 1 stalk of cilantro (a.k.a., wan sui, daun ketumbar, fresh coriander)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 large ripe, red tomatoes (or 1 can of whole tomatoes)
- 1 red bell pepper (a.k.a., capsicum)
- salt to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon or 1 lime or 2 jeruk nipis, (just slice and squeeze into blender.)
- optional, red wine vinegar to taste.

Boil the tomatoes, bell pepper and chilies in salted water for about 10 minutes...

Toss everything else in the blender with a 1/4 cup of water and blend well.

Take the tomatoes, bell pepper and chilies and strain the water, then toss into blender (with other stuff still in) and press the "pulse" button several times until the salsa is chunky.
Makes about 1 liter.

Put into tupperware container and in the fridge for use all week (it actually tastes better after a few days) on sandwiches, with chips/crisps, with quesadillas, with burritos, on nasi goreng, on bacon&eggs, in soups, in pasta sauce etc, etc...

keep in mind that you can play around with it to your taste. More chilies or less, more tomatoes or less etc... Generally, you'll need the cilantro, tomatoes, chilies and garlic for it to be called "mexican salsa".

For the Salsa Verde:
Depends on if you can find the little green tomatillos when in season. I've seen them on occasion at SuperIndo, Kemchick's and Ranch Market.

Everything is the same as above, but instead of red and orange habaneros chili peppers, use the tiny green cabe rawit chili peppers.
Use about 10 - 12 green tomatillos
1 Green Bell Pepper
everything else the same.

This Salsa verde is fantastic draped all over baked Chicken enchiladas covered with Monterey Jack Cheese.

#59763 - 27 Aug 07 12:54 Re: Mexican Salsa [Re: riccardo]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
sounds good...

#59859 - 28 Aug 07 08:56 Re: Mexican Salsa [Re: riccardo]
Tut Tut Offline
Member+

Mmhhh yes yummy.. I am surprised you can find tomatillo here, I really miss salsa verde.

I miss having pot luck with friends, is there any chance JakChat may host a potluck event? But Dilli may not bring the rat dish.

#59861 - 28 Aug 07 09:06 Re: Mexican Salsa [Re: Tut Tut]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
pot luck sounds dangerous! as for a JakChat "event", i'm trying to get people interested in a 2nd anniversary celebration ...

#59862 - 28 Aug 07 09:08 Re: Mexican Salsa [Re: Tut Tut]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Tut Tut
Mmhhh yes yummy.. I am surprised you can find tomatillo here, I really miss salsa verde.

I miss having pot luck with friends, is there any chance Jakchat may host a potluck event? But Dilli may not bring the rat dish.

Yes, it is not easy to find them, but when I do see them, I snatch up all the tomatillos our basket can hold. At the two markets nearest my house, SuperIndo and Ranch Market, we always remind the managers to find more of them. Ranch Market is really good about informing us. They actually SMS us when certain things that we've requested come in.

I also agree a potluck would be good fun.

Moderator:  NetCop