Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59626 - 24 Aug 07 11:28 RI navy lost in Oz
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
This won't make it easy for Australia's military industrial complex to convince politicians and the public that Indonesia is a serious military threat. One of the biggest justifications used for the Australian military buildup -- or so they insist -- has been to try to beef up their own navy to counter a possible all-out sea-borne assault from Indonesia.

------------------------------------------------------

Indonesian navy vessel runs aground in Australia

BRISBANE (AP): Eighteen sailors from a beached Indonesian navy training vessel Arung Samudera were discovered standing soaking wet on the side of a road after their ship ran aground, a witness said Thursday.

Fisherman Bob Elmer picked up the stranded sailors, sodden and still wearing life vests, after their 35-meter-long (115-foot-long) sailing vessel became stranded off Gympie, in southeastern Queensland state.

"I was just driving up the road and they waved me down," Elmer said. "Their engines broke down and their sail blew out... It's a steel boat but it's on the beach, so that wouldn't do it much good."

The men were taken to a local police station, where they were given food and dry clothes.

One of the sailors, 24-year-old Garmadi from the Indonesian city of Surabaya, said the crew did not have much time to get off the ship.

He said they retrieved some food, backpacks, cigarettes and rifles before leaving the grounded vessel.

"It was scary," he said. "We just brought what we saw. We got them and we jumped off the ship."

The tall ship Arun Samudera was headed to Sydney to join six other sail boats to mark the start of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum leaders' meeting, which runs from Sept. 2-9.

The southern area of the Queensland has been lashed by strong winds and huge seas in recent days.

Australian Navy Cmdr. Forbes Peters said the boat would likely be towed off the beach on Friday.

"The hull is intact from what we can tell from the beach, and it's a nice flat bottomed vessel so it's sitting proud on the beach and should be OK to tow off," he told reporters.

#59628 - 24 Aug 07 11:48 Re: RI navy lost in Oz [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: riccardo
This won't make it easy for Australia's military industrial complex to convince politicians and the public that Indonesia is a serious military threat. One of the biggest justifications used for the Australian military buildup -- or so they insist -- has been to try to beef up their own navy to counter a possible all-out sea-borne assault from Indonesia.

serious australia military thinkers know very well that the indonesian military in no way threatens australian security.

the main purpose behind the naval build-up is related to containment of china, and also, coastal defence against unlawful entry by illegal immigrants who use indonesia as a jumping off point.

#59632 - 24 Aug 07 12:10 Re: RI navy lost in Oz [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

serious australia military thinkers know very well that the indonesian military in no way threatens australian security.

Of course!! That was my point. The military analysts know for sure, but they convince the politicians and the public (purse-string holders) otherwise -- that there is a serious threat in order to get more $$$$$$.

#59662 - 24 Aug 07 23:26 Re: RI navy lost in Oz [Re: riccardo]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Loc: melbourne australia
it's all a storm in an archipelago sized teacup.

even if indonesia could get to Australia on their navy boats, they'd probably stop at brisbane, because of the freezing conditions below the tropic of capricorn.

and no-one can contain the rise of china. that I promise you.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop